Keith Baker's Southern gt on the build

Sorry Keith but I believe Tom is right....the outline colour on the orange is dark (navy) blue. Doesn't matter to me though as you car looks bloody fantastic. These are the colours I wanted mine to be but sadly when I bought could not find one in my price range. Go figure!! Can't wait to see the finished car as I'm sure you are as well.

Thanks for your comments guys, I was also told that the edge lines were blue but also that was changed to black ? Most guys use the black.
Also the colours were a real pain to obtain, cross referencing the old codes created problems, I think if I had more time i may have narrowed it down.
What I wanted was the correct depth of blue,,, a bit darker ?
My colour is a true gulf colour but from Porsches 1972 917 codes.
Once it gets the 2 coats of lacquer the colours will just pop right out.

Love the car frank, you done the old boy proud !

The roundels are painted in off white, then the 1st coat of laquer is applied. When it's hardened it's gone over with the sander to take the edges off where the colours overlap and any little defects.
The black line is flatted and finished off.
The car is the laquered again after polishing in a few days thats it.
The satin black bits are added last.
The shiny picture of the front section is prior to sanding.

Attachments

• front polished.jpg
    front polished.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 377
  • front being polished 2.jpg
    front being polished 2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 333
  • front being polished.jpg
    front being polished.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 336
The rear section and nostril pictures are also prior to sanding and re laquering.
Doors and cills sanded and waiting for 2nd coat of laquer.

Attachments

• rear deck 2.jpg
    rear deck 2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 335
  • rear deck.jpg
    rear deck.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 300
  • nostril.jpg
    nostril.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 316
  • door.jpg
    door.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 297
Spider section has been laquered and flated down . It's ready for the last coat of laquer.

The pictures don't show how nice a finish this is, well pleased so far !

Attachments

• spider 2.jpg
    spider 2.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 313
  • spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 292
It's amazing how much masking is involved in doing a car especially a multi coloured car.
Overspray is a real bugger to clean up after. These painters are really clean in there preparation.
The front and rear screen rubbers were removed. The area at the front drivers side top of the screen dipped so had to be built up, so removing the screen rubber was essential.
All the interior is to be black, a mixture of 50% satin & 50% matt .. A semi satin !
Spider is now ready for the final lacquer coat

The car should be ready for collection in 5 working days time, fingers crossed as I'm
re assembling it over the Christmas break.

Lost this picture, it's gone interspace !

what a lot of work is going into painting, when you think its ready you sanding it again and then again some paint...wow, respect for such work.

Hi Rene,
I could have had a paint job for much less work and it would still look good. But a bit more £ and bit more materials you get a better job.
The 2nd sanding is only very light, it's a 1000 grade paper just to take out any little blemishes and that horrible ridge where the lines are.

Last pictures before finally putting it back together.
All the panels are now finished, just a couple of bits to paint black.
Reassembly then transport it home... " Praise the lord "

Last picture is the door prepped before it was blacked.

Attachments

• web 0505.jpg
    web 0505.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 393
  • web 0509.jpg
    web 0509.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 508
  • web 0510.jpg
    web 0510.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 408
  • web 0521.jpg
    web 0521.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 377
  • web 0515.jpg
    web 0515.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 369
wow...very nice.
when the black parts are painted even better...then the nervous part comes, fitting it all together without damaging the paint.

well it's painted and getting ready for collection tomorrow.
Windscreen fitter got busy so he'll have to fit the rear screen at my house later.
Now starts the fiddly bit of not damaging the paint when trimming up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 491
mmm
also the shut-lines? look very good.

is all the paintwork finished now? when can you start building up and when do you think/hope you can drive...

That's looking great Keith.

I really like how the inside of the doors is all black. To me, it looks more 'production car' / professional than when they are body colour.

Hi Kieth, been following your build from the start, great work, just made my first post, I am also planning on painting my car in the Gulf colours using the Porsche 1970's specs. The off white colour you have used for the roundel also looks right, do you have a colour spec for the white.
Thanks Graham Crawley

Hi All, I don't yet have the colour code for the roundels, I will have shortly but it is a Toyota off white.
Shut Lines are pretty good but need a bit of a tickle in places.
Car is now in my garage at home.. Boy that feels good.
Rear screen was bonded in today, the surround rubbers really tidy it up.
I Will spend the next few weeks fitting out with all the trimmings.
The colour Frank is different from Martins although probably very similar I couldn't get a match in PPG from the codes you gave me so had to opt for the 1972 Porsche Gulf.
Anyway putting them together would only show up the faults in yours.... I'm pulling your chain Franky

Back