Keith Baker's Southern gt on the build

Congratulations Keith,

Now is actually the time to get on the road traveling round the country spending months helping those less able than, you finish their SGT's :eek:

Thanks All,
But It's Mick the IVA King @ SGT that takes the credit.
That's what you get when you purchase an SGT package, you get the factory backup right to the end.
Anyway less arse kissing, the car will have a few tweeky bits done and it's already booked in for its paint job.

Hi Jason,
While the cars at SGT Micks fitting the side perspex windows and setting up the suspension etc.
He's on holiday for a week but I have arranged to collect the car on the 3rd October and It will be delivered straight to the paintshop here in Kent
Paintshop says 6 weeks.
I will have half a day at the paintshop to fit the mirrors and various bits.
I would expect the car ready mid to late November.
As I have missed the best part of the weather I'll be looking at maybe a track day at Brands to shake it down a bit and plan for next year.
Brands Hatch is only 10 minutes away

Hi Dave, colour is deep, deep red with off white roundels, stripes down the cills but not down the centre of the car.
Being painted by Mech Spray in Kent .. I have not seen it but they painted the Red Bull F1@ Goodwood this year, painted the Batman movie cars and all of the Thunderbirds including lady penelopies pink rolls. Pete's painted all my bikes and I trust his work.

Last edited:
Mick is suppliing a set of front Canard wings and I'm off to SGT's works on monday morning to go over the car making sure there's nothing that I should have done and it's ready for collection 2 days later.
I have a nice set of wing mirrors to fit and a rear canopy coloured lamp as on Lemans cars.
Nearly on the home stretch..only one lap to go ...........

Cars in the bodyshop this morning and their starting on it today.
Could be up to six weeks but I will be popping in weeky and will post pictures of its progress.
Thanks to JAR car transportation of tonbridge Wells and of course to Mick and all the boys and Gals at SGT for helping to get it this far.

BIG CHEERS

Attachments

• web 0308.jpg
    web 0308.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 436

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I assume you saw to it that rubber balls (or whatever) were placed in the stacks and taped in place...or the stacks were at least completely taped shut before you left?

Well it's been week one in the bodyshop and the uneven areas and shut lines are getting done.
After all the bulky bits are out of the way the car gets a coat of polyester primer and it will be left for about a week to harden off.
It's he usual places that need work.
Last picture shows what sought of gaps have got to be made better.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 380

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Have you checked the front Clip opens and closes with the fuel caps on?

My Dax had interference issues on the rear fiberglass in the openings!

Ian

gets a coat of polyester primer and it will be left for about a week to harden off.

a week? I guess most "ordinary" bodyshops don't know about that?
I only know that such sort body needs way different treatment then say a steal body...

my 2 younger sisters (a twin) have a special day car, a lovely dark blue Maserati Mistral 4000 coupe from 1967 with a aluminium body, and that can "corrode" too, they are going to give the car a respray to make it smooth again and I heard last week that this sort carros needs such sort of special treatment too, otherwise you probably get those sort of little air/corrode bubbles under the paint.

Those types of primer need lots of time to dry. The previous owner of mine didn't wait. When we grafted on the wide rear fenders we could peel the paint back like an apple and you could smell the primer some 7 years later:shocked:
We had noticed that when we lifted the rear clip off the car using cotton strapping and a lift, that the pattern of the webbing was left in the paint.

Bill

Hi Bill,
I quess that's why they are saying 6 weeks for the paint job.
It's taken a year and a half to build so another fews weeks is worth the wait.

Cheers

Back