Keith Baker's Southern gt on the build

Forgot the picture

Attachments

• webdash oct .jpg
    webdash oct .jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 815
Engine dyno'd today a little bit of communication problem with the Accel program but all sorted and runs well.
Produces 452 H.P. @6500 RPM & 386 Torque @ 4900 RPM.
That will do for me ' Dont want to be greedy '
On holiday for a week, collecting it a couple of days later.
Will mate it with the new ZFQ and AP clutch and bung it in the car.

Last edited:
Hi Keith.

Have you got the upgraded billet end for the ZFQ? I met with John Wisher last week and he recommended that I order the parts from Quaife.

Those engine numbers look good. Not a million miles away from my anticipated figures for the Ferrari V12 I have. We're expecting around 480BHP @ 6,500 with circa 420lbs torque at 4,500

Fancy an track date????? <evil grin> Ford Vs. Ferrari all over again!!!

Hi Mark,
I have the latest Quiffe I beleive it's 7 months old.Have a look at the earlier build pictures there's one of the box. I had a F430 for 2 years and it was for sure a nice quick car, engine sounded superb through the tunnels on the way to Le mans.
I also have another little fella in the garage... Ultima Can Am
6.3 Ltr. 640 H.P. 580 torq & 980 Kg wt. / 0-60 = 2.6sec &
0-180 = 15.9sec
goes round the outside of caterhams !

Anyway I put the dash in for yet another trial fit.
I wanted to make sure that the dash is totally removable when the screen is fitted. There are cut out sections to miss the cage but I dont think I'll cover them, they will hardly notice.
As the air con unit had to be mounted length ways instead of side ways only one air con duct was allowed for towards the screen. BUT the IVA test is a piece of paper against the screen and if there's not enough air flow to clear the screen it fails, so I'm cutting a second vent in.
As I have fitted digital duel gauges instead of Smiths I need to alter the wiring as they run off sensors.

Attachments

• web 8 10 2011 .jpg
    web 8 10 2011 .jpg
    200 KB · Views: 771
  • web 8102011 jpg.jpg
    web 8102011 jpg.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 634
I have been asked about the headlights and how I'm going to fit them. Well I dont know is the answer, but I know a man who does.
I have been told the lights I have are hard to get now, Valeo Cibies.
The frame supplied by SGT has all the adjustments but it aint going in the body without some modifications and fibreglass bonding. I know a man who knows how to do this job as well as a few other little jobs that need to be IVA compliant.The side lights will be cut into the headlight shell.
For IVA the indicators need to be seen from a pre determined angle therefore a small indicator lamp will be mounted within the headlight cut out then later replaced with a smaller white indicator with amber bulb. The lower cut out for indicator and sidelight will now become a larger round driving lamp.
So shortly after I'm back from Holiday I should be able to put something on the forum.

That's the plan anyway.

Hi Frank, That looks like it would be ok for the IVA neatly done but it looks a little bit un GT40 ish.
I have seen a couple of 40 's with the set up I like If I can get a picture of what would pass IVA and be descrete at the same time I post it.
Cheers

How was GTD6 at Ascari ?

6GTD was very quick after we did a lot of work on the suspension, changing springs and geometry etc. I at last got to drive it on track at Ascari, and that engine is something else now, you would approve ! Its now coming back here for a winter rebuild and new lighter bodywork, we have the power, now its got to shed weight ( bit like us I suppose ) Frank

A bit like me Frank, not you.
I heard it's having a carbon front and rear, awesome, awesome.
I may go down the carbon route but not yet.
My concern is VOSA and if they change the only 1 used part rule.
That would mean new engines, that means catts.
I want to get this beast registered soon as.Dont trust VOSA, DVLA & the Goverment in general

Hi Mark,
I have the latest Quiffe I beleive it's 7 months old.Have a look at the earlier build pictures there's one of the box. I had a F430 for 2 years and it was for sure a nice quick car, engine sounded superb through the tunnels on the way to Le mans.
I also have another little fella in the garage... Ultima Can Am
6.3 Ltr. 640 H.P. 580 torq & 980 Kg wt. / 0-60 = 2.6sec &
0-180 = 15.9sec
goes round the outside of caterhams !

So I guess you don't scare easily???!!! Very impressive.

As for the ZFQ, yours looks like mine. I bought one of the very last few, also about 7 months ago (ish). Mine has the two end pieces, one black the other gold. I asked John W if that meant I already had the updated parts and he said none of them have. Because I had those billet bits like yours, I wrongly assumed I had the updates! Worth checking my facts are correct though.

John said to order themn from Quaife or get Quaife to fit them. I will be speaking to him again in the next few days. I'll double check.

We have been running a ZFQ very hard on track for over 1000 miles, works perfectly and no issues. Glen Masons car has also done similar mileage of extremely hard driving again with no issues.

Hello Keith

I have one of the earlier batch Quaife's and intend to have the upgrade plus a billet tail. Is the upgrade (can't remember the details of the change) chargeable or is it seen by Quaife as a warranty job?

Thanks for getting in touch recently

Regards

John

Hi John,
Sorry for the late reply, been on holiday.
To be honest I'm not sure about these upgrades,, what they are and the problems that may occur without them.
I will be putting the engine/ box together shortly so will do some homework.
I will speak to you soon as I'm going to see your car @ Terrys

Cheers

Collected the engine today, Yahoooooo !
Although the engine had been run and tested a week ago, Pete put the engine back on the dyno and had it ready for testing for me to see.
We gave it a couple of runs up to 6600 rpm but Pete says it will run all day @ 7000 and I believe him.
6500rpm gave 456.5 H.P. and 390.4 torque.
Sounded awesome.
Disconnected it, stuck in the the van and spent the next 3 hrs stuck on the motorway, but boy it was worth it.

Attachments

• web a IMG_0360_9483.jpg
    web a IMG_0360_9483.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 704
  • web a IMG_0366_9489.jpg
    web a IMG_0366_9489.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 632
  • web a IMG_0368_9491.jpg
    web a IMG_0368_9491.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Hi Paul,
It's an Accel ( spelling may be wrong )
To be honest I saw this injection system at Southern GT and liked the idea and the look. They fitted it to a car or two and got good results, I think Glen Masons car has it.
There's a lot of loom that's not needed and Peter Knight seems to think it's a Mustang loom.
Mick at SGT says that he just cuts out the unwanted wiring so as to tidy the hole thing up. I'll let him do that or I'll cut the wrong bits off.
By all accounts it took a little setting up but fired up 1st Kick.
I will have to send the car to SGT soon to get the exhaust made and this could take time with the camcoating.
I will hopefully put the engine and box together within the week.
Getting it running may take a little longer.
As part of the package Pete has supplied a single H.P. fuel pump of the rotary vane type, I was not sure if two H.P. pumps would have been better but Pete " is the man"
The alternator and brackets will be with me in a few days and visually the air con bracket and air con pump seem to align ok but will need to get another grooved pulley made up.
All looks and sounds good

Now looking at where to mount the high pressure pump.
QUESTION
Do you think this should be mounted on rubber for vibration ?
It didn't come with any mounts

Cheers

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 453
Back