Little Venting - SPF Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Re: Little Venting

I'm surprised Superformance doesn't have a moderator on this site taking these posts off! They would not be alone. :)

Gee, lessee....I am both a moderator and a Superformance dealer. So someone thinks it would be in my best interest to delete such threads/posts.

I think not.

The discussion here is very helpful to all. It brings issues and solutions to light. While it might scare off a potential customer I think it shows some transparency that at least my customers expect. One more time, these are not Porsches or Covettes; they are street legal race cars and have some issues. Because they are high percentage duplicates of the original cars they have both the virtues AND vices of the 1960's cars.

I have scared off more than one buyer by being honest about the cars. I had one guy tell me how he went around with a dealer over a water leak in his 911 Cabriolet....what do you think he will say when he get a shower upon opening his door on a 40 after a rain?

Some early SPFs were purchased by people who saw something new and exciting. Many of those early buyers have now sold off the cars and the buyers now are hard-core enthusists who mostly understand the tradeoffs of originality to functionality.

I cannot speak to any other brands threads as to removal of posts, but doubt Ron will allow wholesale gerrymandering of the site.

Ron Earp

Admin

Some early SPFs were purchased by people who saw something new and exciting. Many of those early buyers have now sold off the cars and the buyers now are hard-core enthusists who mostly understand the tradeoffs of originality to functionality.

I and many others predicted this would be the case with some early SPF40s. Some car enthusiasts purchase the "new shiny thing" every other year and probably don't give a thought to ownership of such a car. They sell it off as soon as it hints of work. GT40 ownership is much different from an expensive marquee exotic car, and that is a good thing. It is a barrier to entry to those that aren't committed and capable.

I cannot speak to any other brands threads as to removal of posts, but doubt Ron will allow wholesale gerrymandering of the site.

You can remove posts in the SPF forum if you like. It is your subforum to moderate and handle as you see fit. Now posts outside the sponsored subforums those I moderate and negative posts/threads will not be removed or deleted unless there are some very unusual circumstances.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks guys for allowing the free release of pent up aggravation & steam. Regarding the shiny new thing... I won't be selling mine anytime soon. I came from a Ford GT which is quite a spectacular car. Most of my research prior to buying the 40 was done via conversations with Dennis Olthoff. The man spent a lot of time with me on the phone giving me frank and honest answers to every question I had. I ask many questions trying to build a comparison between the Ford GT and the SPF 40. Having grown up and had a couple muscle cars I felt like I had a good idea of what I was getting into. I still chuckle when I think of the day last fall I showed up and Dennis' shop to pick up the car. Paul had taken it out for the final shakedown run and upon pulling into the lot, tossed me the keys and said take it out. As I wiggled into the cockpit, depressed the clutch pedal, and hit the starter button, I knew I was not in a Ford GT anymore. There I was with Dennis and crew watching me as I struggled to find reverse. I have to imagine that Dennis was watching with some concern wondering, does this guy know what he's got and is he going to climb out and say noway, this is not for me! I can see how that could happen to a large percentage of new/perspective owners. It took awhile to get used to it but I wouldn't sell this car for any reason I can think of now. It's not nearly as slick and refined as my GT was. It's not even as fast. It does offer something that is hard to put into words that a GT never will. Every time I climb out all sweaty, smelly, and hot, I have a ear to ear grin. I still want to kick someone in the balls for being so sloppy when they mounted the pedal box and didn't primer the chassis before paint but it's not for sale. That said, I've made several needed corrections and it's nearing perfection which is hard to reach with my level of OCD. Pictures & video to come shortly...

Reading this Larry? :)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

PS having a resource like Dennis to turn to is also a big contributing factor to keeping me in the car.

PS having a resource like Dennis to turn to is also a big contributing factor to keeping me in the car.

This 100%. My only lasting regret is when I purchased mine it wasn't through him. It would've saved me countless hours "fixing" another pro builders mistakes.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

I'm surprised Superformance doesn't have a moderator on this site taking these posts off! They would not be alone. :)

Tom, you've put at least one well-respected moderator on the defensive. So please back up the accusation with details, or else retract it.

Tom, you've put at least one well-respected moderator on the defensive. So please back up the accusation with details, or else retract it.
I said Superformance, not Rick, I too respect Rick. I respect the fact that he addresses problems instead of erasing them. I was refering to another forum that I have seen unhappy customers posts disppear on.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

I was refering to another forum that I have seen unhappy customers posts disppear on.

I think Ron gives the owners of the businesses whose products have their own forums the option of moderating those own forums (RCR and Tornado come to mind). It is possible that deletions have been made from at least those two in the past...Tornado even has a method of prohibiting responses to their threads, sad to see because I really like their product and would like to be able to ask more questions directly on the thread when issues arises rather than having to compose a private message to that particular forum's business owner/moderator/forum admin.

Cheers!

Doug

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

For the record I have never removed a post from the Superformance forum. In fact the ONLY moderating I have done is removal of spam posts.

When spam is reported all moderators are notified and whoever is able to delete it first generally does so. Ron has set up a very good network to deal with spam and that type of post.

I am of the belief that the product stands on its own merits, warts and all. While sometimes a mountain be made of a molehill, I am of the thought that those who are seriously condsidering said product should be able to tell the wheat from the chaff. And when I see nothing but "sweetness and light" posted about something, I get concerned.

My recent example is a poor service issue with Amazon. They continually send me emails asking me to review the product (which I never received!) and then the censor the reply! Hey, if you don't like my answer, don't ask the question!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Pulled the pedal shaft out and applied some grease. It was dry but there was no corrosion at there is very little humidity here in CO where the car has been since new. I would recommend others considering pulling the pedal assemble back and doing the same thing. Pretty easy and can be pushed out with a C-Clamp. I have all parts back from fab and will be putting things together tonight. Pics to follow...

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter

Hi MIke,

Mine is OK (I have used WD40 and silicone spray to insure won't bind up also a pull back spring for belt and suspenders) but.....

Would be a good idea for the SPF guys if you describe your dis-assembly/re-assembly procedure (pics if available?) in removing the shaft. Able to do with lines installed?

Steve P2125

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Good idea Steve. I did have mine pulled back out of the pedal box but still on the floorboard. I don't know if one could pull it back far enough with the stock lines attached or not. Mine already had the new braided steel lines which I intentionally made with some extra length so I could be able to pull it back far enough to reach around behind it should I ever need to replace a throttle cable or what not. I simply removed the c-clip on the clutch pedal side and slid the clutch pedal off. Then I mounted a c-clamp across the shaft and the pedal bracket and simply compressed it off with a few turns. It was not in there very tight but just tight enough that I could not push it out by hand. I did rotate the bracket assembly to the left or clockwise a bit to provided the need clearance to slide the shaft out. I will post detailed pictures later maybe tonight of everything including the new reservoir and lines. It's really not a very hard job and corrects the leaky stock Girling units that cause most of the paint issues seen on the SPF cars. Feel free to ask questions and I'll try and explain if I can. Thanks

PS the throttle pedal stop was not set and a few good mashes on the pedal probably would have snapped the cable and bent the shaft on the carb. I would check that as well and make sure your pedal stop is contacted the same time you have reached the stop on the carb or injector assembly.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post/proceedure (good tip to check the throttle stop!)

As you know I too replaced the stock metal reservoirs and lines (my pics are in the SPF forum under "Upgrdes to P2125")

Got to give SPF credit for making the car as close to original as they did BUT, a big improvment to get rid of the metal cans (internal corrosion) and rubber lines (weep) with the plastic reservoirs and SS braided TEFLON lines as you and I have done.

Steve P2125

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

You bet Steve. I talked to you about doing this earlier this year and appreciate the advice you provided. I'm with you in advising all owners to do this upgrade. It's not very hard. Pics to come...

After reading all these comments about quality control on these cars I am amazed. I have purchased four of the Superformance cars, I am on my second roadster and currently own three to include a Daytona Coupe and a GT-40. Yes, I have had a few little issues, which is to be expected with a hand built car, but nothing like you folks are talking about. My cars are dependable, and ready to go cruising when I am. Have had a few wiring issures with the Daytona, easily repaired, back on the road. I installed the engine in the last Roadster, Olthoff installed the other three engines, all without issues. Am I the only satisfied Superformance customer, or did you guys have bad luck and buy a dud?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

...Olthoff installed the other three engines...

The negative comments are about GT40s only, in particular when compared to the other products. The dissatisfaction seems to be associated with people who did their own installs, or for some other reason witnessed and had to personally correct those issues you see when you are that familiar with the car's internals. Or more succinctly, "ignorance is bliss."

Can't answer your last question since neither alternative is reasonable.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

I can only surmise that some of us have looked further under the covers than others? I can provide a detailed list of areas you may wish to examine but be prepared to not like what you find... There is simply no excuse for the shoddy craftsmanship on a car of this caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back