LOLA T70 scratch build...

Scott, Randy,

many thanks for your kind words...I´ll pass them on but perhaps Susanne will talk about her building experiences by herself sooner or later on this forum...

Some more work done today, fixed the Rad Base Panel:

Attachments

• Rad_Base_Panel1.jpg
    Rad_Base_Panel1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 732
  • Rad_Base_Panel2.jpg
    Rad_Base_Panel2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 762
Couldn´t believe my luck...managed to get hold of SL 76/144´s original oil tank:

Attachments

• Oiltank_1.jpg
    Oiltank_1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 797
  • Oiltank_2.jpg
    Oiltank_2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 731
  • Oiltank_brackets.jpg
    Oiltank_brackets.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 741

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Marcus - that oil tank looks quite massive! Can't help but wonder what the capacity is...

The Windscreen was quite the score as well!!!

Randy,

indeed it´s quite a big thing, but I have to admit that I´m not sure about it´s capacity.
Will find out. For all I know in Spa-Francorchamps it was replaced by another oil tank with a more conventional barrel-style design since it was under suspicion of not to having sufficient oil baffles inside to keep the oil pressure up at Spa´s famous Eau Rouge corner. So it still carries all the battle stains of oil and dirt from it´s last mission in Spa.

The front screen was made by Triplex Pilkington and carries a "DOT"-sticker which makes me confident of it being eligible for road-driving...

Best,
Marcus

Marcus,

Your chassis is a work of art......amazing.....I wish I had the skills that you do..........

I was wondering what gauge, and grade of alluminium you are using ?

mick

Mick,

thank you for your kind words.

It´s mostly 6061 T4 Aluminum, 1,5mm (0.63``) thickness,
for some panels without bending (floor panel etc.) it´s 2024 T3, same thickness.

Best,
Marcus

Last edited:
Hey marcus,

very nice build you have going on there!

one question how does your alloy compare to for instance NS4 sheet? I'm a little confused on the the terminology.

keep it up and keep us posted.

regards Thomas

Thomas,

NS4...Is also know as 5251..it has similar properties to 6061 T4

2024 T3 is a lot stronger

here are some links so you can see for yourself...

Aalco - Technical Info - Aluminium

AircraftmaterialsUK.com Ltd - Source for European and American Aerospace Aluminum Alloys

ASM Material Data Sheet

ASM Material Data Sheet

These guys are useing NS4, and L163, which is similar to 2014A

http://www.lolacars.com/downloads/racecar_6.pdf

L163 Aluminium alloy 2014A Aluminum

Im not an expert on alluminium, this is just information I found on the internet

Marcus I tried to send you a PM, but your message inbox is full

mick

Ahem, Marcus, I haven't seen any pics of your wife for a while. Is Susanne still assisting witht the build? I'm starting to miss her (no offence re your own workmanship).

Keith

BTW...believe it or not, but it´s been my wife Susanne having done the riveting work on the side panel. Took some shots of her while she finished the final rivet:

I've seen that look in Pic 4 in another life Marcus. Watch out, she's gonna plug you!:rifle:

:stunned:

At last got my set of brand new cast wheels 11 x 15 and 17 x 15...

My thanks go to Dave Morton for collecting them!

Attachments

• wheels_1.jpg
    wheels_1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 665
  • Rear_wheel.jpg
    Rear_wheel.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 643
  • Front_wheel.jpg
    Front_wheel.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 595
  • Sparewheels_plus_setofwheels.jpg
    Sparewheels_plus_setofwheels.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 626
The story on my bodyshell is rather strange. It is an original shell from SL76/147, whose by then owner literally works and lives round the corner from my office.
Marcus
Apologies for dragging up this old post (and admit I haven't readf the thread right through)
Interested to know if you were able to complete the bodywork
I tried to send you a PM but your box is apparently full...

Back