M20 Dreaming

Hey guys, I got the dash nailed down, the steering rack, and for those who had voiced concern about my lower suspension point being single shear i boxed it and made it double shear. I had to remount the master cylinders but the end result is more like the original and with it riveted in helps tighten up the whole front of the tub. I only need to make the rear top link mounts and that is pretty much the "Tub" persay finished. the next thing and last part of the alloy panel work to do is the Radiator pontoons and the fuel cells. No Pics sorry, I'm back at work so will get some up next time home. Cheers Leon.

Hey guys. Its been a while since I did an update and to be honest there has been little progress. I have been working on the mould for the bellhousing and the rear wheels. It is a long and labourious job but now the bellhousing one is finished I'm real happy with the end resault and the wheel is close. I did promise some photos in my last post so hear is what I have. There are pics of the steering rack mounts and the double shear box that I did for the front. Cheers Leon.

Attachments

• DSC01409.jpg
    DSC01409.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC01410.jpg
    DSC01410.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC01411.jpg
    DSC01411.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC01413.jpg
    DSC01413.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC01418.jpg
    DSC01418.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC01415.jpg
    DSC01415.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 459
Pretty cool stuff Leon, always enjoy your posts. Your commitment level and dedication keeps me humble. I look forward to the day I can see this project completed and in person.

Leon I'm fairly new to this forum. I've just now gotten to look all the way through your build. It's a beautifal piece of work. I know someone who owns an original M8F (Lothar Machenbackers I think) he did, work for Lothar I know. So if there are any particular pix you'd like of details I'd be happy to see if I could take them for you. There is one thing though that I noticed consistently trough the pix. On all of you suspencion links. Where there are Heim/Rose joints. They are screwed all the way up to the head against the stop nut. They need some threads showing. Otherwise you can lengthen them but not shorten them. You may have already taken that into account. But that's the way they looked to me in all the photos.
Mike S

Hi Rob, I'm afraid the time committment hasn't been that great over the last 6 months. I got another 4x4 and have been spending some time modding that but will get back to the M20 with a bit more vigor this year. I also changed jobs last year and again this year (same company, different country).
Mike, I hear what you are saying but don't worry none of the suspension joints have been set and I just wind them in when fitting things up, I will also change all the lock nuts to the slim style nut. Thanks for the offer of pics, I have a large collection of photos that I have used so far that have come through this forum and other source's and have been the main referrence through this project. The one thing that has eluded me is photos of the front suspension/tub. The M20 departed from the steel bulk head design used in all the M8 cars. I have some pics and have done my best with them but some detailed photos would be a god sent.
Always great to get positive feed back from you guys. Cheers Leon.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Nice to see another post Leon. Keep up the work and the posts! Love the long bellhousing, and keeping with the theme. So my assumption is that it will would work with the transaxle you've chosen (which must have a very long input shaft)?

Hi Terry, I'm still building my own TA but the bellhousing is made to accept a LG500/600 Hewland. My TA will have the same mounting as the LG Trans, also the Smaller Hewlands that are used in F5000 cars have the same mounting. The Lola T300/332 etc use a long bellhousing as well and mine will also fit those cars so there might be a market for some of the stuff i'm casting (Thats my plan) My rear wheel is almost done. 19" wide !! only the M20 used a wheel that wide, the M8Fs were only 17" wide and the finished item will look like the real thing with single nut and 4 pin drive. The F5000 Mclarens also used these wheels in 17" width, I will make the mould to do both 17" and 19".
How are you going with your car, I keep an eye on your posts and its looking real good, Keep up the work mate, Cheers Leon

Hello Guys, It has been a while and there has been a little progress on the project. I have now finished the rear wheel mould and the front wheel centre mould. I have done the front wheel a little different in the fact that I got a 15 x 12 wheel shell from a local race shop that do mainly Sprint Car stuff. I will cast the centre and heat shrink it into the shell and then bolt it. I have also done some more alloy fab on the tub, doing the rear back rest and the dash panel. the panel and the littlle upright off the centre spine to the dash will be covered with a black vynil and a bracket for the steering shaft will be fitted in the back which will give it a bit of rigidity. I hope to get some alloy casting done soon so I can get the tires mounted and get the hubs and stub axles done. I have also purchased a large laithe in the last month. Its has a 22'' swing 4.5m long and weighed in at 3.5 ton, should be great for doing the wheels and pretty much anything I will ever need, next is a Mill and a decent drill press then I will be set for the machine work. Heres some pics, cheers Leon

Attachments

• IMG_2565.jpg
    IMG_2565.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_2566.jpg
    IMG_2566.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_2567.jpg
    IMG_2567.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_2568.jpg
    IMG_2568.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_2570.jpg
    IMG_2570.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_2564.jpg
    IMG_2564.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_2572.jpg
    IMG_2572.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Hey Leon what size rear tyres are you useing and where did you get them, I'll be chasing tyres for my F5000 replica very shortly
cheers John

Hi John, They are F5000 tyres, 23 x 10.50 x 15 fronts and 26 x 15-0 x 15 Rears. They ran 27s on the rear as well on the Can-Ams. The tyres are readly availible, just talk to one of the F5000 guys at a meeting they are really helpfull. I got mine second hand off a couple of guys I know that run a 69 Lola and a M10 Mclaren also know a guy with a GM-1, most of the later F5000s run 13" front wheels and the 15" fronts were only run on McLarens and older cars 67-69 vintage, The F5000s generaly run 16''-17'' wide rears but they will stretch to a 19" wheel no problem. What wheels are you going to run?? I may be able to help you out. Cheers Leon

Hi John, They are F5000 tyres, 23 x 10.50 x 15 fronts and 26 x 15-0 x 15 Rears. They ran 27s on the rear as well on the Can-Ams. The tyres are readly availible, just talk to one of the F5000 guys at a meeting they are really helpfull. I got mine second hand off a couple of guys I know that run a 69 Lola and a M10 Mclaren also know a guy with a GM-1, most of the later F5000s run 13" front wheels and the 15" fronts were only run on McLarens and older cars 67-69 vintage, The F5000s generaly run 16''-17'' wide rears but they will stretch to a 19" wheel no problem. What wheels are you going to run?? I may be able to help you out. Cheers Leon

Hi Leon,
Nice to see you back in the workshop a little .........19 inchers!!! ..... :drool: ......
May have to buy a set of those from you just to have them laying around. Yes, I am a sick puppy.

Hi Guys, been doing some work on the car and if you have looked at the Transaxle threads you will see my "Custom transaxle" post's as I want to get some casting done soon so I hope to get the wheels and the transaxle casing finished so I can send them to the foundry while I'm away this time. Have a look at the pics of what I've done so far. Cheers Leon.

Attachments

• IMG_2574.jpg
    IMG_2574.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2575.jpg
    IMG_2575.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2576.jpg
    IMG_2576.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_2577.jpg
    IMG_2577.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2578.jpg
    IMG_2578.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2583.jpg
    IMG_2583.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_2584.jpg
    IMG_2584.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2585.jpg
    IMG_2585.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2586.jpg
    IMG_2586.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 290

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi Leon,
Nice to see you back in the workshop a little .........19 inchers!!! ..... :drool: ......
May have to buy a set of those from you just to have them laying around. Yes, I am a sick puppy.

hehehehehe :) I can relate!

Well, dropped the Wheels, Bell housing, Rear cover and shaft housing patterns to the foundry on Friday so they will be ready when I'm home in a month. Can't wait to get the wheels done and mount those tyres then I need to do the single nut hubs so I can almost sit this thing on its own. I just need to finish the pattern for the diff housing and I will be close to having a drive train. I'm back at work now so thats it for a month or so. Cheers Leon.

Been a long time since the last post and to be honest there has been little progress. I did have a rethink on the trans axle and went back to the wooden mould I had made earlier did some changes and was quite happy with the new path. BUT I had a wee set back yesterday when doing some machining to match the T/A to the bell housing I hit a hidden screw in the wooden mould and the whole thing blew to bits. so instead of having some progress to show you, I have a bin full of wood and months of work. Back to the drawing board, Cheers Leon

Back