Mazda 20 B engine in SL-C

Thank you all for the compliments, much appreciated, will lizard skin the inside in 3 more days, the final mounting on the car and wet sand and buff. Tho my inside is not finished, my money tree is nothing but twigs now, I can't wait to get it on the road. Over the winter I will do the insides up and make it finished. Now its tuning the fuel injection and working out any bugs in the car.

Took 10 hours to paint this yesterday the colors, 7 hours on Saturday for the inner parts of the car, 7 rolls of masking tape, roll of 12" paper, quart of prowler red, grey, black, PPG paint, gallon of clear.

Mounted the center section today, seats, belts, wiper motor, gauges. TOmorrow the windshield, front and rear section are all done, tho I do have to touch up my tail lights, the paint came off in some spots when removing the tape, o well, I have plenty of paint.

Here are some pictures, test drive is coming soon.
The first picture is my head light rings, you can use the stock ball and socket that comes with the head light kit. Drawing is free if anybody wants it.

Attachments

• DSCF0695.jpg
    DSCF0695.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCF0694.jpg
    DSCF0694.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 366
  • DSCF0691.jpg
    DSCF0691.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCF0690.jpg
    DSCF0690.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCF0688.jpg
    DSCF0688.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCF0687.jpg
    DSCF0687.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCF0686.jpg
    DSCF0686.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCF0682.jpg
    DSCF0682.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 364
Just had the windshield installed, had to shim the body a little but is in. Back end finished other then the camera and license plate mounting. Tomorrow ill mount the front end and hope everything will work, it did when I checked it out, but its been a month now.

Attachments

• DSCF0696.jpg
    DSCF0696.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCF0697.jpg
    DSCF0697.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCF0698.jpg
    DSCF0698.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCF0700.jpg
    DSCF0700.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 325
FIrst time outside, waiting for the windshield to finish drying, then Ill put the doors on, camera, plates.

Attachments

• DSCF0704.jpg
    DSCF0704.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 442
  • DSCF0705.jpg
    DSCF0705.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCF0703.jpg
    DSCF0703.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 416
  • DSCF0702.jpg
    DSCF0702.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 443
Plates and camera mounted, im going home 14 hr day today, but enjoyable. Doors and seat covers tomorrow if I have time.

Thanks everyone for the feed back and comments.

Attachments

• DSCF0706.jpg
    DSCF0706.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 401
I don't think so, I think its enough of a cop magnet as it is. I want to see how I like the car before I put anymore money into it. If I do, it wont be till winter when I finish the insides also. I want to drive it, tune the fuel injection get the bugs worked out of it.

I'm getting into my busy season now, so I pushed to get it done this far, now I have to get back to work.

Ill post a video soon, once I get the mapping dialed in. Waiting for Grundy to let me know if Im insured yet or not, then Ill take it for a trial run when I have some friends around just in case something happens.

Video of first test drive. Not really dialed in, but count the seconds, 0-90 in about 7 seconds.

Attachments

• car.avi
    585.3 KB · Views: 578
I talked to Fran about the wing and the issue with leaving it off. He said it starts working around 60MPH so keep in mind you may not have a whole lot holding you down after that ! LoL

Sounds incredible! Forgive my ignorance but what type of maintenance/upkeep do you anticipate with the 3 rotar on an annual basis? How about after a few years?

I know they require a lot of attention but don't know what that exactly means...

Last edited:
Well, depending on how I drive it, it should last 70-100 thousand just like a normal car, keep the air filter clean, run good oil in the gas to lubricate the seals, but like anything other hot rod, power cost money.

Its pretty fast the way it is, im not going to take it to 900 hp, so around 6-650 12-15 psi boost and it will live, i can live with that.

I like accelaration and corning.

Not sure If i want a wing on the back tho, not really going to go much faster then the speed limit, just want drive it for a while, slaved on it for almost 5 months, time to drive it now, ill finish the insides over the winter when I get slow here at the shop.

Finished putting the doors on, one shock on driver side keeps the door up, but passanger side wont stay up, must of did something wrong. Have 120 lb shocks on it also, doors could use a little massaging also, when they installed the windshield, they had to shim the body for the gap so its out of whack a little, still looks good tho. Tried to make Mongoose's cruise nite tonight, but didn't happen, couple weeks it will be there for the next one.

Keith

Garry, given all the three sided iconic clues decorating the rear end, what kind of punishment have you got in mind for the guy who (you know he will) comes up to you munching on some snack and asking: "What kind of motor have you in there dood?"

Ill have to think about that answer, probably just tell him its out of a RX 7, most have heard of that, anything else most wont grasp.

Raining most of the day, did finally get my door shocks to work and hold the door up, did use 120 lb shocks, 12" long.

My biggest mistake was painting the car not assembled, from fitting and adjusting and being alone doing this, Ill have to touch up the corners, but Im learning, and thats why I have plenty of paint, plus they make more everyday.

As soon as it dries up ill mount my go pro and go for a spin and post.

Attachments

• DSCF0717.jpg
    DSCF0717.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCF0715.jpg
    DSCF0715.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCF0718.jpg
    DSCF0718.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCF0719.jpg
    DSCF0719.jpg