McLaren M8 B look alike

The issues with the flat tappet cam are lack of extreme pressure additives in current oil, including Mobil 1, removed because they are metallic (zinc) compounds that poison the catalytic converters; and cheap Chinese lifters.

For the oil, any diesel oil will have plenty of anti-wear additives. I use it in everything, as I'd rather replace a converter than an engine. It's part of why diesels last so long. Also, you can get synthetic diesel oil, which in my opinion is even better, but probably not necessary. Extended operation at high temperatures is when you really need synthetic. Otherwise, use the diesel oil and change it frequently. I'm sorry, but I know lots of racers that use synthetic racing oil, which generally also has the antiwear additives, with a flat tappet cam. I assure you the loads are sufficient to make the lifter rotate. Mobil 1 is better than non synthetic for wear, but not as good as a mineral oil with lots of additive (the diesel oil).

GM EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) is also a good thing, full of ZDDP and used as a cam/new engine break-in additive for years, and you can do worse than to keep on adding it, much better than STP which is a viscosity index improver.

Lifter rotation is supposed to be approximately one revolution of the lifter for two revolutions of the cam. It's common on Chevies to have to bore and sleeve the lifter bores to make this happen. I've seen a lifter rotate backwards. You can also bore the lifter bores over size and use Ford (bigger) or Chrysler (biggest) lifters.

Other helpful things are hard faced cams (check with Isky) and hard faced lifters. The Nascar guys go 9500 rpm with a steel flat tappet cam and lifters.

Also, break it in on only the outer springs, then add the inners.

You can also pull the intake and check the lifters until you're comfortable they're wearing correctly. A good idea in any case.

Quality cam and lifters, confirmed rotation, lots of ZDDP, break in carefully with reduced spring pressure, no problems. It's a good thing that Flat tappet cams do not have a catastrophic failure mode, it's why the McLarens used them in the day. They did throw them away every race, though. Roller lifters can and will fail catastrophically, does awful things to the engine. Trust me on this, not the magazine dweebs.

It looks like you have a lot of scrub radius, so it may try to jerk the steering wheel out or your hands.

David Merritt

David
Don`t know where you got the scrub radius idea from as you would be supprised at how little there is, new hubs where made with even less than standard.
Any way today was the big day and we fired it up. Apart from having the timing out 180 deg, dawk... it fired up and ran with just the right noise. Could not run it for long as I found a small leak in my header tank so off it comes.. 4 years 7 months and now its runner, yahoo. Many thanks to all for the encouragement and advice.

Hi Russell, Congratulations on the big day and a job well done, i wondered what that rumbling sound was, i could here it in meadowbank lol , i also heard a popping sound guess it was the corks on the bubbly, i guess i am now 4 years 7 months behind you.

Best Regards
Graeme

Russell,
Not meaning to sound like an idiot, the reason I mentioned tire wear due to the aerodynamic downforce exerted on the suspension. Too high a spring rate in the rear may limit the compression of the suspension rendering your rear spoiler useless in a high speed straight. It changes the ride hight of your car and may change the handling characterists. The weakest point when ther is not enough give will be the tires. Good to see your startup went well. Two problems is not bad in my books.
Dave

Great to 'hear' that its making the right noises Russell, hope the AKL coffee slurpers were not too offended if you drowned out the sound on their Olympic's TV coverage!!!

Hi All
Run the motor for 20 minutes on Saturday, the only gap of fine weather between the increadably wet last couple of months. Motor ran faultless at 2000rpm, a max of 70 degree with both cooling fans running and an auxilary fan throwing air over the general area. I have the temp gauge on the inlet side of the motor and may shift it to a hoter spot for a quicker reading. The carbs which are off an Alfa 133 are probaly pretty close to correct apart from may be a bit much accelorator pump juice. Only a track run will confirm this after I balance the carbs and put on some trumpets. Sounds good. Have now put it on the trailer whilst I wait for the axel to arrive so then can work out the balance. Interesting enough, I had added up all the components and allocated their relative position in the car to come uo with a COG at 910mm in front of the rear axel, it turned out to be 900mm. so we have a 40 / 60 to the rear weight bais.
I will take the car to work and set it up on a flat floor, whilst I think I can figure out the wheel alignment, are there any good instructions on `stringing` the car for toe set up etc.
What sort of tyre pressure do you think I should run on the trailer.
Cheers for the help.

Attachments

• on trailer 002.jpg
    on trailer 002.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 327
  • on trailer 005.jpg
    on trailer 005.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 476
  • on trailer 006.jpg
    on trailer 006.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 442
Would this work. After squaring off the car can I set the degree`s of toe and camber using these measurements from the tyre face. There is a ring moulded at 500mm dia so x 3.3 for the circumference gives 1650 divide that by 360 deg gives 4.6mm per degree. Using that figure of 4.6mm then its just a case of getting out the ruler.
Is it that easy.

Would this work. After squaring off the car can I set the degree`s of toe and camber using these measurements from the tyre face. There is a ring moulded at 500mm dia so x 3.3 for the circumference gives 1650 divide that by 360 deg gives 4.6mm per degree. Using that figure of 4.6mm then its just a case of getting out the ruler.
Is it that easy.

Just about! Pay to spin the tire/rim first to check for runout. Failing that you can use a scriber device to spin against tread center to a acheive a similar result. Car weight may cause sidewall to distort in relation to camber measurements taken this way.
3.1416 (pi ) is factor for circumference. Therefore 500 x 3.142 = 1571mm divided by 360= 4.364mm per degree. Double that if measuring from top/bottom or front/rear of that 500mm circle which would be 8.727mm per degree. ( this is due to the 360° being drawn from the hub center ) accurate enough for a few degrees as in camber & toe.

Last edited:
I find it easier to use the diameter as one leg of a triangle, and use trig and the desired camber angle as the included angle to get the lenght of the opposite side, which would be the dimension you meaure with your ruler

As above for 500 dia, 1 deg would = 8.73mm

Cheers

Fred W B

You guys must have read the same books, we didnt have trig in my daze so thats beyond me.
Many thanks for the help any way.

Well at last I have actually driven my car, It has been in the local Speedshow this weekend and come hell or high water, I drove it out of the show and around the car park a couple times just for fun. Boy it sounds great and feels awsome. The show resulted in tremendous reaction and memories from people who lived that era. It was a neat way to celebrate the completion of my car as there was a fair bit of pressure in that the show operators wanted to place the car centre stage beside Scott Dixon`s indy car. I had been working hard to get the car completed for this show so now I will have a break and then set up the car ready for a track drive. I will let you know how the real drive goes in a few weeks time.
Cheers

Attachments

• Speedshow 1 006.jpg
    Speedshow 1 006.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Nice going Russell, that must have been a great feeling to drive it out under its own power and to have been asked to display it alongside the other two cars, Well done. Time for a nice quiet sip of your favorite beverage & take a moment to reflect on your achievements.

eh lad, glad to hear it was a success this weekend. returned from aus yesterday and was wacked, so sorry i wasnt there .( 5 days of shopping wif da woman, six pair of shoes and clothes to suit) none for me, but nevermind the next trip is for moi.. ) just for the record Russ, i wasnt going to mention the timing problem. and yes guys, it does sound good. not too loud so the locals should be ok and the whole job would be a credit to any professional builder let alone a first timer. i dont think the T 70 will be as well finished, i'm just not that patient. regards steve

Nice work Russ, looks better than the original car. Keep us up to date on the track testing. I am interested on how your handling turns out and what changes you make to improve it. I have been doing work around the house and not working on my car. I did put a shed in the back yard to give me more space in garage. Now I can get rid of the garden tool rack and make room for my sand blasting cabinet. I am still waiting for the drawings from the Engineering Student. I may start the new chassis in the next few weeks without his drawings, just wanted to make sure they were accurate.
Dave

Bill.
The gear shift system is very simple in this case as I am running an Audi 13 gearbox out of a 1988 Audi GT and it has the rear shifter similar to a VW.
I have used good quality cheap 3/8 drive socket universal joints and turned a round step onto which I have welded my steel tube which just goes as straight as poss to the gear shift which again is very simple. Depending on whether you need to push or pull will determine where you attach the fixed point via the rose joints. The first picture with the rose joints is the actual one I have used and works perfect. The second one, I had made before properly checking the direction required so I gave it away. The shaft is carried in teflon tube bearings and so far all seems fine.
Cheers

Attachments

• gear change mk1 001.jpg
    gear change mk1 001.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 395
  • gear change mk1 002.jpg
    gear change mk1 002.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 322
Hi Russ,
it was great to see your car in the flesh at the show,she is a real credit to you Russ.hope all goes well for your first day at the track.at the show i found somebody who make trumpets you might be able to use they are in Silverdale.
cheers Ali

Russel, mate you will be pleased to no that a couple of lads from work went up for the weekend to the show, and both were telling all of us today all the high lites etc , now both of these guys are middle aged petrol heads, and both of them were quite adimint that Dennys old No 5 Car was on Display, i didnt have the heart to tell them the truth.
well done mate, youll have to bring it down for Whitikars in Nov, would love to see it run.
cheers John

Back