McLaren replica build base on a Manta

Not too much lately on the body, I have finished the wings, made the little "shovel tips" on the front gaurds. Still need to finish the shapping work on the left side and a little bit of timber work on the rear deck then I can get some glass on it.
The Transaxle is taking all my time at this point but I'm really pleased with how its coming along so hope to have that done by Christmas. stay in touch mate.

Cheers Leon.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Took the car to work after lunch to let the guys finally see the car we've talked about for 7 years. I'm starting to REALLY enjoy the car now.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
What a fabulous car Terry! You've taken this car to a plain so far above its roots, it is simply amazing...
Please have someone snap a pic of you along side or in your car!

Well done Ox that looks absobloominlutely stunning, a big pat on the back from down here in the antipodes.

kaspa

Keith

Haha no Terry I came across this recently and was struck with certain similarities with your own build. In fact, it was designed by none other than Gordon Murray and is actually a Brabham F1 with clothes on, powered by a Cosworth DFV and was commissioned by privateer Alain De Cadenet for Le Mans. It just looked a little like yours is all.

PS Alan De Cadanet is the famous "fuck me" "fuck me" commentator on the very low Spitfire flypast on youtube... :)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I used to (still do on rare occasion) enjoy Alain's test drive series (of different race cars) televised on Speedvision years ago.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
So with winter here, I decided to put the car up on stands and improve on a few things I saw during my test and tune sessions. I found I need more camber gain at the rear. I also know I need to lighten up the uprights, so I fabricated some sheet uprights using 12 gauge steel. These ended up 4 lbs lighter than the originals, and are 1" taller (above the axle) than the originals. If these work out, I may turn to a billet upright next year in an effort to reduce the weight further (these are 11.7 lbs per upright).

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Latest upright compared to the original one needed to get the car on the road and test the suspension settings.

standard.jpg

After getting it powder coated:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Back