McLaren replica build base on a Manta

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Yeah it is. It rained last weekend, so I stayed in the garage and did some more fiberglass work and squirted some more Duratec onto the rear of the car. Perhaps this weekend I can get some driving in. Cannot find a suitable place to attach a license plate, so that will be an eyesore when I put it on.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

YouTube video of the final stacks: Tuning Holley HP EFI Manta Mirage M8E McLaren LS2 LS1 replica - YouTube

Ox

Roll that bad boy out in the drive and get some/send pictures! Sounds great, hell of an a piece of work. 1 of 1.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
A skeptical look from the driver in the next lane wondering "who is that ostentatious prick is in the next lane?"

Seriously, I wanted the lengths to better match the McLaren's lengths. The lengths were also validated in modeling for an ideal length for a given RPM at peak power.

SOMEBODY INTRESSTED IN THE REAL THING?I WOULD HAVE A ORIGINAL CANAM M8 ALU BB MORANDENGINE FOR SALE! ONLY CARILLO RODS AND LUKASMETERING UNIT ARE MISSING,BUT THOSE PARTS ARE CHEAP TODAY.PRICE WOULD BE 19000USD INCLUSIVE DRYSUMP AND MC KAY MANIFOLD.THAT IS THE ENGINE WITH THE DIFFERENT LENGHT PIPES.:laugh:MORAND1.jpg

MORAND3.jpg

Still have the worry and afraid that you will be kept an eye on by others who using the GPS tracking device around you? Now just by using the GPS jammer device you can easily avoid being tracked. Where to have a good beginning without wasting a lot of time in finding one reliable supplier? Here click your mouse jammer world and get the satisfied device that can meet with your requirements.

Hello Peter

Long time since we spoke, I see that you still have your Morand engine !

How is your Autotune M1 coming along ?

I have sent you a PM and an email, please contact me.

Kind Regards
Richard Taylor

Keith

SOMEBODY INTRESSTED IN THE REAL THING?I WOULD HAVE A ORIGINAL CANAM M8 ALU BB MORANDENGINE FOR SALE! ONLY CARILLO RODS AND LUKASMETERING UNIT ARE MISSING,BUT THOSE PARTS ARE CHEAP TODAY.PRICE WOULD BE 19000USD INCLUSIVE DRYSUMP AND MC KAY MANIFOLD.THAT IS THE ENGINE WITH THE DIFFERENT LENGHT PIPES.:laugh:View attachment 71562

View attachment 71563

Wow! the real deal and with mag too....

And the authentic staggered pipe lengths. I really never understood how that worked :huh:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've heard many explanations, but a guy that works on these pieces told me it was strictly a function of spacing. With the large bells, and the canted bores, the tubes had to be cut different lengths to allow the lips to overlap each other. This seemed to be the most plausible of all that I've heard.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
That does make sense. Although I do remember hearing back in the day, that different intake lengths give a slightly different torque curve and the different lengths leads to a slightly wider power band.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Gary Knudson who was the chief engine builder for McLaren is responsible for the staggered stacks, He found when dyno tuning the engine that the torque curve had a double hump in it at the mid RPM range this he believed was due to the different length of the intake runners in the head so he added length to the stack on the shorter runner and this smoothed the torque curve. That is the official reason according to many books written by McLaren people such as Eion Young and Phill Kerr. So if that's their story I'll run with that. The staggered stacks from what I can find first appeared at the end of 1970 0n the M8D and the next year everyone had them. The car looks great Terry and personally I prefer the look of the even stacks,
Cheers Leon

Terry have you given any thought to pulling a set of molds? Might be nice in case of looky-loos. Looking at the car & not where they're going. That's one reason I'm doing it on my Lotus nose & tail. Also being sure to put big tail lights & a third brake light. I don't want them to miss it when I put on the brake. Besides might be nice to sell bodies & make a bit back. Once you had the molds made. There are fiberglass guys arround that'll make the bodies then you tack on a profit. Just a thought. I might spring for one.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
So...while contemplating wet sanding and paint, it dawned on me I still had no means of fuel filling outside of lifting the rear hatch to get to the fuel tanks. So I proceeded to install a fuel door/filler today. I bought a couple of Mustang Bullitt doors, flattened them, and then made some fiberglass supports and transitions to the fuel filler tube. I used a SS marine style fuel cap and welded it onto the 1.5" SS tubing that was welded onto the tank flange.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Even after all of that, the door is still about 40 thou' too high. Oh well, on to the driver's side.

I think that looks very professional and quite period as well, I see you have fitted Filters to your injection. it must be summer there by now so when are we going to see some colour on this car. Cheers Leon

Back