Michael's GT-R Build

Congratulations one hurdle past. Really enjoy following your progress.

How in the heck did you get that car on the trailer? That's impressive. I contemplated using a Uhaul trailer to pick up my GT-R but after looking at them did not think I could get it on to the trailer.

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Hi there! I used polycarbonate. It is better than acrylic for this application. It thermoforms well at around 360 F. I did the "drape" method, where I heated the plastic and then just laid it over the mold (with some pressure pushing down). Perfectly workable for a convex shape like this.

A little late to the party here-
What plastic did you use to thermoform your driving/fog light lenses? Did you form under vacuum or just gravity? At what temp?
Thanks

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Larry;

The U-Haul trailer was certainly not the very best solution, but the only one I had at my disposal. All the tires rode up against the outer rails, so I had to align it perfectly. Getting it off was easy, but getting it on was tough. And I had to extend the ramps out to keep from scraping the front. Not fun, but I didn't want to buy a $10-$15K trailer just to get the car off to the inspector and tuner! I could have rented a larger trailer from a local Big Tex I think, but then I am going over my Subaru's 5000lb rating.

The U haul trailer has to be super tight at 79-3/4 inches between the fenders I used a trailer that was 83 inches between the fenders and still thought it was tight

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Your best bet is another solution, believe me! It did work, though!

Congratulations one hurdle past. Really enjoy following your progress.

How in the heck did you get that car on the trailer? That's impressive. I contemplated using a Uhaul trailer to pick up my GT-R but after looking at them did not think I could get it on to the trailer.

Last edited:

Michael Hampson

Supporter
I appreciate the option! I hope to hand-carry the paperwork to the Department of Revenue next week, We'll see if that works. If not, I'll send it in certified mail and cross my fingers.

Michael I dont know what its worth because these are kit cars. However vermont will register anything with wheels and motor super quick without an inspection. I just registered my 260z that has not been on the road for the last 30 years super easy. It took about 6 week, it could help you expedite getting titled if GA is taking too long.

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Still working on tuning but did get a video on the dyno. I thought it was going to blow up! Something happens to the VCT at about 6500 RPM... it just seems to cut out. He's working on it, and we'll have another go in a few weeks. It runs REALLY well, though. Idle is great and has fantastic low-end torque now. Around 450 HP I think. That is probably enough...

GT-R on Dyno

Mike here is a picture

Attachments

• 8BE0B6D1-2347-4624-B7ED-AF8417962760.jpeg
    8BE0B6D1-2347-4624-B7ED-AF8417962760.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 215
Back