Migrant crisis: a solution.....

Keith

My family adopted two Vietnamese refugee children, fostered a few others and befriended and assisted many others, many adults included. I am no stranger to the problem.

My adopted brother and sister were also called filth and treated appallingly with insult and violence only a street corner away.

The stories of their escape, journey and treatment in camps where they were held for two years are harrowing to say the least.

There were some bad guys hiding among those groups and yes they need to be weeded out, the rest though should be treated with compassion and dignity, many of them will have seen horrors the rest of us would be better not to imagine.

Keith, you do not let me down, this is a complex situation and I respect your considered opinion. I assure you the difficulties of this situation are not lost on me and I don't plead for mass opening of gates. I ignored most of the vitriol but there is content there that needs to be shown for what it is.
When I see people called filth I see the eyes of my adopted brother as he stepped off a bus and two people followed him off calling him exactly that, not knowing I was there to meet him. That young man is now an engineer. Those two young bastards are unlikely to have been as useful I think.

Tim.

Yes.I don't agree with the labels either for what it's worth. We have to be very careful of engendering mass hysteria which allows the crazies to run riot.

It's interesting you mention Vietnamese. In the 1970's we took in a lot of Vietnamese Boat People, and as boaters ourselves, we organised charity events, raised money, donated food and clothing and they were housed in an ex RAF airbase at Thorney Island in Sussex. Eventually, they assimilated into our society and you can find many of them now running successful restaurants and import/export businesses.

The downside is that many of their siblings are involved in people trafficking and smuggling and the cars with "British Number Plates" seen buzzing around Sangatte organising the tunnel riots recently are, for the best part, UK born 2nd and 3rd generation Vietnamese.

Obviously not all Vietnamse are so involved, but it is a glaring contrast to the unconditional assistance they received in the United Kingdom, and we were not even involved in their war. If there is no consequential loyalty to the host nation that saved you, what hope is there for future integration and multiculturalism?

PS I have no truck with racism in any form...I love everyone, including Americans :)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I'm not including you in my disapproval here, Keith. I'm appalled by what I see as the racist rewriting of the facts based on a priori bigotry. It makes me sick.

Every American on this forum is descended from people who came here as an "economic migrant", unless they are American Indians by ethnicity. What isn't spoken about in the idea of an "economic migrant" is that way too often people who are in financial straits or unable to make a living are in that situation because of ethnic war, a despotic government, or class structure which shuts them out of a decent living. And that isn't even talking about the unbelievable war that the government of Syria is waging on its own citizens, and has been doing so since the 1980s. Look up the Hama massacre if you want details. They are sickening.

A great deal more compassion and a great deal less pronouncing people as undesirables would go a long way towards improving the behavior and speech of some folks on this forum. Your statements embarrass me. You are privileged and comfortable compared to those people whom you so easily scorn. It is appalling to me how easily you can dismiss the desperation and struggles of people who would like not to get incinerated in their own houses. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Sad that you are not.

Once expatriated within the EU these refugees/migrant workers will legally be allowed free movement. Any attempts to resist their entry into the UK is futile and at best just another hurdle. Worrying times :stunned:

Bob

Pat

Supporter
Jim, my father's colonial ancestors were seeking religious freedom and they made their own way by building their own farms and economic security before the nation existed much less the current array of government support programs. My mother was a war bride from the UK who left an affluent family to marry a GI who before the war worked in a steel mill. I wouldn't characterize either family as "economic migrants".

Your stereotypical denunciations are as offensive to at least me as your pronouncing people as undesirables for "pronouncing people as undesirables".
There is already too much in the way of thought police among affluent liberals and conservatives alike who are never going to have to worry about a migrant camp in your own exclusive gated community. If you want to change minds, make a convincing argument. Sputtering names at others rarely affects any situation positively.

For the record, look at what percentage of the current "economic immigrants" are actually from war torn Syria. Consider the natural concern of what has been estimated to be as many as 35 million western migrants over the next ten years and it's understandable to want to figure out just was is happening, coping strategies and economic sustainability before borders are universally thrown open. Study the assimilation patterns of previous immigrant groups. For some it's been wholly successful, others not so much. Read the book "The Triple Package: How Three Unlikely Traits Explain the Rise and Fall of Cultural Groups in America" to see some excellent research as to why.

Then spew away...

If migrants were to "assimilate" into the host country such as 1900s American immigrants. To learn the language, respect the heritage, work and be good citizens of the host country, I don't see a problem. I don't see that happening, I may be wrong. If they are helped, they should contribute to the well being of the host country.

I find it ironic that a large number of intolerant people are fleeing another group of intolerants. They now look to those that they were intolerant to, for shelter, food, work and safety. I wonder how long it take these new "migrants' to start to complain and demand considerations and continue their lack of civility to their new hosts. Will there be adjustments to western civilization or will we have to accept there unwillingness to live in harmony with infidels?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
All:

The "immigrants"/"refugees" to whom you all refer ARE NOT CUT FROM THE SAME CLOTH as the immigrants/refugees who've preceded them in times past. They are MUSLIMS...the very people whose "L-E-A-D-E-R-S" have sworn to wipe Israel off the map and have r-e-p-e-a-t-e-d-l-y said "Death to America." They are people who come from ISIS-controlled areas of Syria and Iraq.

HOW MANY OF THESE PEOPLE do you suppose are ISIS terrorists??? HUH? How many? ISIS has SAID it plans to embed its fighters into the ranks of these "refugees". And given the fact that the Oblahblah Admin WILL NOT BE 'vetting' any of these "refugees" NO MATTER WHAT OBLAHBLAH CLAIMS - what do you suppose the risk to America might BE as a result of letting 'em into our country???

Now, given all that, if ANY of you think for even one NANOSECOND that I, for ANY reason, should feel "guilty" about MY views on the subject...OR that I should be "ASHAMED" of my view that the Syrian/Iraq "refugees" should be kept out of the U.S. - you can pound sand.

The U.S. already HAS (depending on whatever source one believes) 12 to 24 M-I-L-L-I-O-N or so I-L-L-E-G-A-L / U-N-D-O-C-U-M-E-N-T-E-D "IMMIGRANTS" in this country...MOST of whom receive some kind of government 'bennies' (name ONE OTHER COUNTRY on the planet wherein that's the case. Go ahead. NAME one). So, even if there were NO OTHER FACTORS INVOLVED - the U.S for DANGED SURE doesn't need/cannot afford any more "refugees"/"illegals" from anywhere...even assuming there are no/were no "terrorist" considerations involved...:veryangry:

I'm going to pour 'meself' a Bacardi now...

G'night.

Last edited:
Helping your fellow Arab is obviously not in the wealthy version of the Koran.

The six wealthy Gulf countries - Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Bahrain - have offered to receive exactly zero Syrian refugees.

3.8 million refugees from Syria (95 percent) are found in the following five countries. Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq and Egypt:

Lebanon is host to 1.1 million refugees registered with UNHCR, which amounts to about 26 percent of the country's population

Jordan hosts 618,615 registered refugees, which amounts to 9.8 percent of the population.

Turkey is hosting 1.6 million refugees, which amounts to 2.4 percent of the population.

Iraq hosts 225,373 registered refugees, which amounts to 0.67 percent of the population.

Egypt has 142,543 registered refugees, which amounts to 0.17 percent of the population.

In Syria, about 190,000 people have been killed and 10.8 million people are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance inside the country.

More than 10 million Syrians, or 45 percent of the country's population have been displaced.

Of these, 6.5 million are displaced within Syria and about 4 million have sought refuge in other countries.

A total of 63,170 resettlement places have been offered globally since the crisis in Syria began, which only represents only 1.7 percent of the total number of refugees in Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Egypt and Turkey.

378,684 people in the five host countries - or ten percent are in need of resettlement (permanent residence), according to UNHCR.

Amnesty International calls for at least five percent of refugees to be resettled from the 5 host countries in late 2015, and a further five per cent by the end of 2016 (this amounts to 380.0000 people).

The six wealthy Gulf countries - Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Bahrain - have offered to receive exactly zero Syrian refugees.

It could of course be because these countries are already islamized.

Other high-income countries, including Russia, Japan, Singapore and South Korea have also offered to receive exactly zero percent of the Syrian refugees.

It could of course be because they refuse to drag the conflict into their own countries.

http://speisa.com/modules/articles/...gulf-states-receive-zero-syrian-refugees.html

Last edited:
I'm not including you in my disapproval here, Keith. I'm appalled by what I see as the racist rewriting of the facts based on a priori bigotry. It makes me sick.

Every American on this forum is descended from people who came here as an "economic migrant", unless they are American Indians by ethnicity. What isn't spoken about in the idea of an "economic migrant" is that way too often people who are in financial straits or unable to make a living are in that situation because of ethnic war, a despotic government, or class structure which shuts them out of a decent living. And that isn't even talking about the unbelievable war that the government of Syria is waging on its own citizens, and has been doing so since the 1980s. Look up the Hama massacre if you want details. They are sickening.

A great deal more compassion and a great deal less pronouncing people as undesirables would go a long way towards improving the behavior and speech of some folks on this forum. Your statements embarrass me. You are privileged and comfortable compared to those people whom you so easily scorn. It is appalling to me how easily you can dismiss the desperation and struggles of people who would like not to get incinerated in their own houses. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Sad that you are not.

Your disappointment is misplaced, these are the people you should be unhappy with.

The wealthy Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf states receive zero Syrian refugees

And my father and family came from Sweden, not as an economic migrants, they wanted to be Americans.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
When i see the authorities in Hungary giving out free food & water which is hurled back at them by these so called refugees...
When i see young men violently storming police lines which are intended to allow them processing facillities,,
When i see young men using even younger children as shields between them and the restraining authorities,,,,
When i see these thugs using bottles, stones and in some cases molotovs against police officers only doing their jobs to contain them,,,

Then there is filth amongst them.
What would you call them ?
After all, they don't do their fellow genuine refugees any favours.

Back