My RCR "DPE-962X" 8500 RPM -1500HP Engine Build *lots of pics*

I call them cars mailbox racers.
The only time they want to race is when you are at a dead stop because they have four wheel drive. Then when you finally get traction and are ready to smoke past by them ( next mailbox ) , they let off the gas with a smile thinking they smoked you .. :laugh:
:laugh3: So true!

Dave,
Here's a bad ass 4 rotor for ya !!!
Seen and heard that car many times in person. It is at Sevenstock every year as have a few 787b's and other 4-rotor cars. Best sounding engines I've ever heard.

Where'd all the non-V8 folk go? Did i scare them away? :(

128924600638219681.jpg

Gentlemen,

I am looking into the 928 5.0 V8 with a Kuhn twin turbo package. Also a bored 997 motor out to 4 or 4.2 liters.

Now you`r talking :thumbsup:

Although the 997 RSR uses a 4L engine whitch is supposed to be fairly maxed out on the bores, I guess you could stroke it to maybe 4.2.

I guess you all know that Porsche was working on putting the 928 32V engine in the 962 for the 88 season of Le Mans, so wouldn`t it be cool if someone in here could see that project trough?
The Kuhn set up is for the 928 car itself, so I dont think you would want to use many of the parts in his kit.
How about using this as a starting point, and work from there ? :idea:
Picture taken from Peter Morgan`s book called "Porsche 956/962 The enduring champions"
962w5LV8.jpg

mid-engine20962-3.jpg

In 1990 Porsche extracted 750bhp@8200rpm out of their latest 3.164cc twin turbo engine, so I guess it would be possible to top that with lets say a 5.4L 928 GTS engine with twin turbo`s don`t you think?

Another thing guys, IMHO this is how a 962 is supposed to sound like, that is if one cannot build a good 928 TT V8 for it YouTube - Porsche 962 Start Up Sounds - at Fairfield County Concours

Last edited:
If the 928 motor is your thing I know of someone that has TWO sitting in a garage. One is a parts car (but runs) and the other just sits (also a runner)collecting dust. I know that the owner would be willing to let either go for peanuts (wants to clear out some of his collection). and may be willing to sell just the motor and ECU. If not than maybe an SLC with one of these things might just happen.

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
If Ferrari motors weren't so expensive to bore out, or supercharge etc I'd go that route. Audi's are the same. 35,000 USD for a supercharger to go on the R8 4.2 motor.

Last edited:
OK, so there you go Dusty!
For a more complete 962 replica, I think you should go for a 928 GTS engine, change the cylinder liners for steel ones, that way you have much more pistons to choose from (the std liners are Alusil plated)

A gentleman at Rennlist forums called Hacker-Pschorr built a monster 7L 928 engine with steel liners and a stroker crankshaft. That could be an interesting project to look into :laugh:

I don't know what Alusil is, but I have used Nik-o-sil cylinder plating before, and it works REALLY well. Maybe just change the plating material? I have had cylinders replated with this, but it was rather expensive. Around $300 a hole. Lasts a long time though.

crash, 911 engines use Nikasil, and 928 engine use Alusil. Yes it`s a really strong material, but as you say it costs about the same to replate the original liners as it does to have new much bigger ones made :stunned:

I`ve seen Alusil bores after 200.000km still showing the "45` stripes" (can`t seem to remeber the name) like they where as new !
This all sounds very good at first, but the problem is finding good replacement pistons with bigger bores for increased cubes :thumbsdown:

BTW, sorry for the hijack......

This all sounds very good at first, but the problem is finding good replacement pistons with bigger bores for increased cubes :thumbsdown:

BTW, sorry for the hijack......

Sorry, maybe I'm not following here. Why would sourcing larger pistons be an issue? Just have them custom made to spec.(?)

If Ferrari motors weren't so expensive to bore out, or supercharge etc I'd go that route. Audi's are the same. 35,000 USD for a supercharger to go on the R8 4.2 motor.

PES - Performance Engineered Systems, LLC

$16k for the R8 4.2 G4 Supercharger system. (558hp/437ft-lbs)

$8.5k for the S4 4.2 G4 Supercharger system. (490hp/455ft-lbs)

Not exactly cheap, but certainly not MTM prices.

http://www.vf-engineering.com/

VF Engineering also sells a kit for each version, although they are more expensive.

Last edited:
No doubt because you can get a " monster 7L" engine for less than the price of pistons and rods for that Porsche lump. And the LS7 is smaller. And lighter.

Careful Ron, or you're gonna pizz some people off with this practicality talk. They may even ban you....oh yeah, guess that isn't really a problem for you! :):laugh:

Chris Kouba

Supporter
...The only time they want to race is when you are at a dead stop because they have four wheel drive. Then when you finally get traction and are ready to smoke past by them ( next mailbox ) , they let off the gas with a smile thinking they smoked you .. :laugh:

Last I checked, that's how drag racing is run- two cars side by side, from a standing start, with that funny Christmas tree lighting tower thingy to start you at the same time and with the objective to be the first to drive 1320' away.

Sucks to be you if you can't hook up 10,000,000hp... Sucks to be them if they can't get 4 driven wheels and three differentials quickly through the entire 1/4 mile.

(in case it's not obvious, the above is posted in humor- please don't take it seriously)

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
It's good to be da king...

If you're going with a badass Porsche V8, why not get one from the new Cayenne? They make them twin turbo already, and they should be relatively available from the wrecking yard. Newer technology, newer engine, better metallurgy in the engine. Just another option if the Porsche V8 was still on the table.

Laters,

Brian

Back