name the aeroplane part 2

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Whilst we ponder Kieths rather obscure cockpits, here is a really easy one.
If you can get the mark of aeroplane as well as the type, you get two blue smarties.
Actually they are Viagara but when you hand them around in the cinema or the cockpit. its so funny to see what people do.

I thought these aeroplanes were amongst one of the most beautiful designs ever.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Considering it was conceived in the 50's it looked like a manned missile, redolent of missiles of that period. Trapezoidal high wing loading and tiny rudder probably made it a nightmare to fly but to me, it still looked just amazing. It got a terrible reputation with so many fatalities, but ask most pilots would they like a go and I'm sure they would jump at the chance. Would I? Absolutely

Keith

Coffin with (tiny) wings...

I think thats why they gave it to the Luftwaffe. :laugh:

I remember an airshow at Goodwood about 1,000 years ago when the Canadian Airforce did a flyby with several brace of these machines at 50' above the runway on full afterburn. Where they came from, I knew not but it wasn't the UK for sure - may have been Germany. It still stays in my memory of one of the (if not THE) most memorable events in my life. For a split second I wanted to be a pilot.. then sanity returned... :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Probably the messiest office I have seen. Seems as though it was designed by a committee I think.

Last edited:
Back in '71 there was a Canadian exchange pilot in my squadron who had previously flown RF 104s. He had a photo on his desk of a column of tanks photographed from very low altitude. It was taken over Czechoslovakia during the 1968 Warsaw Pact invasion, and you could see the tip tank in the photo which he said was only happened at high G. Asked how high, he just smiled.

He thought the 104 was straightforward to fly and had fewer bad habits than the F-100, providing you didn't get slow on final. It did have a high accident rate among low time pilots, but these were, according to him, usually the result of "hot-rodding"

He had some great stories about the 100-plane furballs over Germany in the 50s, going from 25,000' down to the ground and involving every fighter NATO flew. Evidently, it got toned down a bit after Lufthansa pilots started complaining about being bounced on final!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
David,

Side by side seating with a stick. Military, 40's early 50s', yes, very much a mess.....British, jet....

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Excellent Jim. Most stations had at least one for checking out squadron pilots and renewing their instrument ratings. Now tell me the mark of Hunter and where it's parked. Incidentally, if any of you are near Santa Fe, there is a Hunter N617NL which figured in my fathers career and was actually going to fly from Guterlsoh (Germany) in the excitement of the Cuban Missile Crisis. (However I think it was going to fly to the west and to the UK rather than the east and beyond) As families we were all fast asleep in buses en route to the Hook of Holland for ferries to Harwich.
ps - the aeroplane was serial XL617 then, hence its FAA reg N617NL.

Last edited:

Keith

It's a Hairy Car! Hairo Car? Airey? Eyero? Arrow? Bugger it - it's on the tip of my tongue :veryangry:

(and on the glove compartment) but you're right David too easy mate, it was on tele last week!

EDIT: To all those who replied to my 2 Cocks, Jim has it Short Sunderland Military version and, and early Ekranoplan with piston engines. Jim gets a copy of "A Bird Cannot Fly on One Wing" and as David guessed Russian, he gets a chocolate pussy.

Last edited:
Off topic, but your thread, David.

In the mid-sixties, F-105s were shooting up ships along the North Vietnam coast with their gatling gun. PACAF got wind of it and the directive came down, "No more shooting at ships! You'll kill a Russian!" (The 104s out of Da Nang were firing sidewinders at them too)
Wing: Okay, no ships. How 'bout boats ?
PACAF Reply: Boats are okay to shoot at.
Wing: Fine. Boats, not ships. Now, what's the difference?
PACAF reply (after much reflection): Ships have masts, boats don't.

You can see where this is going-- Lead spots a freighter offloading, rolls in and saws it's masts off with his gun. Two calls "Boat!", and lights it up.

This was related to me by an F-4C driver at Ubon TAFB in 1968. I believe the ground attacks ended before PACAF learned about them, and when the primary 105 mission became Hanoi, nobody had enough fuel coming off the target to stay low.

As an aside, Ho Chi Minh's hometown was off-limits by order of the white house, but F 4s periodically engaged in knocking down huts with low-level mach 1+ shock waves and the occasional "Oops!" bomb. Twenty-something fighter pilots tend to be insubordinate.

Back