name the aeroplane part 2

Keith

Strike my (ignored) guess of Bell AH1, spose I shouldn't have told Pete to bugger off..... :sad:

Not a jet methinks but piston engined circa WWII to end of '40's. Pressurised cabin (?) Hatch Release? WTF? This a good one Pete !

Still can't help thinking helo with that basic set up narrow tall canopy a la Apache and is that a collective to the seat left?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Now I remember, coincidentaly a few years ago I saw one of the few being restored in Chino!

I was wrong about the bubble.

I'll keep your secret!

Last edited:
Guesses:
Tailhook lowering lever on the right
Arming switch on a release lever housing on the left above a serious fuel management panel
What looks like a VVI (climb/dive) indicator in an unusually prominent position on the instrument panel
Obviously 30s-40s military, but no trigger on the control stick and no electric gunsight

So, perhaps a long range, carrier based or capable torpedo bomber--a Fairey Firefly?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Guesses:
Tailhook lowering lever on the right
Arming switch on a release lever housing on the left above a serious fuel management panel
What looks like a VVI (climb/dive) indicator in an unusually prominent position on the instrument panel
Obviously 30s-40s military, but no trigger on the control stick and no electric gunsight

So, perhaps a long range, carrier based or capable torpedo bomber--a Fairey Firefly?

Good logical thinking John, but sorry not a Firefly. Clue.. Doesn't need a gunsight if it's a prototype.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,

I was wrong about more than the bubble, I know what it is, but I still do not know what the big white/black handle does.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Last try:
Fleet Air Arm version of the Miles M.20 with tailhook and jettisonable undercarriage?

Not a Miles. Only two of these were built for Naval evaluation, and were totally useless for carrier operations. I suspect the photo is one of them.
80 were ordered for the Air Force and the order was cancelled after 30 were delivered. Not much chop, but a forerunner of things to come.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,

Several years ago, I saw one of these down at the Planes Of Fame hanger, they were almost done restoring it & said at the time that they were going to fly it!

Do you what ever happened with this one?

Rats, I was sure the big lever must jettison the undercarriage (which, incredibly, someone at Miles thought was a good idea), and I mistook the instrument at the panel top left for a VVI, which it isn't. But I still think that odd panel holds the key to the ID of this plane.
The instrument on the top left has 6 major and 12 minor divisions, so either 0-12 hours or 0-360 degrees. The one on the top right looks like it has a rotating face as well as one or two hands, so it could be either an ADF or, more likely I think, an RDF indicator. Given that those two are side-by-side and in the most prominent position , they are related in some sort of function.
The second row looks like, left to right, a clock, mag compass and attitude indicator.
Third row, an altimeter, turn and slip, VVI and probably an airspeed indicator reading 0-40.
Fourth row gets curious. On the left is what looks like a second altimeter, with it and the one above it reading 100', a dual reading gauge, and on the right, another instrument reading 0 to 40 but with a slightly different legend than the one above it.
If this is correct, then where are the engine instruments, and why two altimeters and two airspeed indicators? Why is there an RDF right in front of the pilot's face, and what do the two levers turn or lower? It's starting to look like this has something to do with radar.
No more guesses, but is any of this close to correct Pete?

Back