name the aeroplane part 2

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
John - See Petes previous post to yours. He has said what the aeroplane was - the Bell Y59B. The first Jet aeroplane in the USAF but not a huge success ? We even had one here in the UK and it was possibly at Farnborough for a while.
It's final resting place? Probably the knackers yard (the scrappie).
Here is the link to the video - pssibly from Chino:
http://www.kosmix.com/topic/p-59_airacomet

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah but you said not a jet///

Wow - just had the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane fly over very low level in a banked turn Low enough to read the letters on the fuselage. I digress.
(Is there another war on?)

Well, you did say Bell which was quite inspired so I think you can have one blue Smarty but it all depends on Pete's generosity.

I got tripped up assuming it was a single engine, and obviously over-thought the whole thing.
But I still am in the dark about the instruments. Can you shed any light on what the various gauges are, apart from the electric panel?

Keith

Easy ones.....

cock1.jpg

Cock2.jpg

A chocolate covered Antelope gonad for each correct answer.

Keith

Oh Jim, it's freezing in here! :)

One clue, both have something major in common although 30 years apart and from different 'worlds'

I will sidestep here a little...I just got back from the Chino Airshow and it was awesome. Included in the flying aircraft were 4 each TBMs, 6 each P51, 3 each F6F, 3 each F4U, 2 each P38, 2 each F7F, 2 each P40, 2 each F8, 1 each Firefly, prototype flying wing N9m?, 1 each B25, 1 each F4F, 1 each Mig15, 1 each F86, 1 each F80, 1 each A4, 1 each SBD, 1 each P-39, a couple of older 1930s Grumman Biplane types, some Yaks of various types, a Folke Wolfe 190, and the only original Mitsu Zero, some F-15s and I probably forgot a few. Just awesome.

On display were many more planes I ca n't even list...

By the way, the P-59 Airacomet was there as a static display next to a Ryan FR-1 Fireball.

Mike

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,

Sounds like a great day!

You mentioned the FR-1 Fireball, I'm fairly sure that this was the one that was kept behind Palo Alto High School.

It was used in their shop classes, being both a prop and jet, it was perfict for sudent training. By the time I noticed it it was unused in a fenced off area by the train tracks.

I remember riding my bike over there, climbing over the fence and crawling all over it. Then it was just an old, odd aircraft, but I loved it.

It was there until some time in the late 1960s'.

Last edited:
Back