New Transaxle Comparison / Discussion Thread

domtoni,

First off I would say thanks for taking this on.

I think three critical dimensions are missing (overall length and the output shaft centerline distance) with adapter plate or bell housing and input to output center distances. The G50's looks long compared to the ZF but the G50 only needs a 3/4 or 1 inch adapter plate but the ZF needs a 4" bell to house the clutch. We need to look at how these transaxles attach to the engine and consider these dimensions. If you thing about it there are three critical dimensions needed. Block surface to centerline of output shafts, block surface to back of transaxle and centerline of input shaft to centerline of output shaft. All the other dimensions are meaningless unless you have the bell housing/adapter plate thickness. The input to output center distance is also critical. Look at the 016, the output shafts are below the input shafts. This makes you mount the engine and trans higher in the car so the half shaft angles are not to great.

just my 2 cents

Richard,

Thanks for your comments. I could only take what is shown on the spreadsheet from information provided by two other competitors.

I do not have the info you reference, so I cannot make those comments. Can you provide the forum with an outline drawing?

thanks
dom

Richard,

Thanks for your comments. I could only take what is shown on the spreadsheet from information provided by two other competitors.

I do not have the info you reference, so I cannot make those comments. Can you provide the forum with an outline drawing?

thanks
dom

PM sent with the numbers you requested

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Chris, that looks like a nice unit!

Way too long from block face to driveshaft CL to fit a 40 though. Doesn't go in a T70 does it?

Cheers

Richard,

thanks
dom

Hi Dom,
do you think that my attached TSR option can be part of the spread sheet?
This unit born for manufacturers wanting a racing version of T906
The internals are perfectly replaceble by those mentioned. The shifting mechanism has not to be replaced in order that the sleeves stroke is the same of the synchro sleeves stroke.

Attachments

• img036.pdf
    176.3 KB · Views: 610
Guys,

Here is the latest updates on the spreadsheet.

All of the transaxel suppliers have been pretty good with the exception of several companies that have not replied to confirm their information.

Just to make you all aware, race transmissions are not street transmissions.
Beware of NVH, noise, vibration and harshness.
Rotating gears can be very noisy. The car may have transmission related vibration and be very harsh.

I recommend that, before you buy the next beauty for your vehicle, talk to them all, make sure you are getting the service you need, want and require.

Also, ask
- What international standards the manufacturer has? Ford Q1, ISO 9000, TS 16949
- What durability testing each vendor does.

Whenever anything new comes up, I will add to the spreadsheet.
Thanks to all who contributed.

Best
Dom

Attachments

• transaxel comparison 25may 07.xls
    21 KB · Views: 576
Hi Dom
"Industry standard" could be included in the spread sheet as it says a lot about the company's ability and standing.

Quaife's quality standards are subject to constant improvement and the company is ISO9001 2000 accredited. Furthermore Quaife Engineering is currently working towards the latest industry standard ISO 9000 TS16949-2000 standard, which it expects to secure by the end of 2007.

Regards

Chris.

Last edited:
Good point Chris. I think alot of other info can / should be included in the speadsheet, but it will get large. Will include that bit.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Best
Dom

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
As asked earlier herewith an update of the Excel file (Dom I did some formatting) and also a PDF for those Excel challenged - prints on a single page of A4 paper.

Cheers
Ian

Attachments

• Transaxles 01-06-2007.pdf
    54.4 KB · Views: 623
  • transaxel 01-06-07.xls
    25 KB · Views: 503

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dom,

I wonder whether the 6 speed Audi should be included. There are guys (well one anyway on this forum that I know of) who were regularly lunching the five speeds who found the six speed did not break with the same usage in the same car (a mild 302). I have no details why they appear to be stronger though.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Last edited:
Russ,

I am open to the Audi 6 speed, but I have no info on it.

If anyone can provide it, I will surely include it.

Best
Dom

Russ,

I am open to the Audi 6 speed, but I have no info on it.

If anyone can provide it, I will surely include it.

Best
Dom

Hi Dom,
the Audi, which is Getrag 6 speed for petrol engines is different from the one for diesel engines.
Anyway, if they are used as 2WD on the rear axle, according to Audi standards, they can transfer 400 Nm ( remember that they are made for 4WD or front WD)
Anyway they are strong and they work fine. Actually they have floating forks preloaded by calibrated springs in order to have a confortable cold shifting.
Even in racing applications as the Nurbuergring championship, the RS4s are not failing for 24H of stress with slick tyres. This means that the gearbox is a wonderfull concentration of new technologies. It is used on the Porsches Cayman and Boxter. This means that they are superiors in their category.
I have some assembly drawings, but on paper. If I can scan them, I will put them on the forum.
Ciao
Wanni

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Dom,

you might want to hit the search engine up to fill in a lot of data. For example, there is a lot of info on the Audi 016 (I think you simply have 'Audi' on the sheet) on the forum, as well as ZF - ratios, codes, etc. If you want to create the defacto standard "go to" sheet you'll need all that stuff on there.

There are a couple of GT40s that have 01E's installed and there is 01E info on the site too. 016s and 01Es seem to work fine, the only "drawback" being the engine setup height due to the low output shafts. A "Notes" section on the sheet might allow the capture of info like that for each box and is certainly important when comparing the boxes.

Nice work at trying to make a good resource!

R

Back