New Transaxle Comparison / Discussion Thread

Gentleman,

I had to reply in repsonse to the previous couple postings above me, and honestly I think this thread has gone askew.

My information was intended to give a brief description of another gearbox option. Hence the title of the thread, "Transaxle Comparision."

I came into this forum as a car owner, a dreamer and now I am a partner, a business owner and hopefully in time a friend and resource. I have a responsibility to manage a company, customers, transmission builds, and do it all with honesty and integrity.

My first goal is to be a resource for information and aid in the construction of these fantastic machines. My second is to be honest with everyone I deal with, because every customer deserves a fair and respectable transaction. My third, is to become a friend. There are too many companies, individuals, and associates, some of them you may know who do not care.

I do. I am a car owner, who just finished building his frame bench, and is about to start chassis construction. I can relate to the average car owner. I am not in this business to get rich, it's just how it all happened that placed me here. This is not my meal ticket, this is not my retirement plan, and I certainly am not living well beyond my means. I am just a guy, a guy who loves performance. A driver without a ride, no money to field a car, no sponsors or backers to market my efforts.

In answer to Wanni and the modifications to his gearbox, I cannot confirm nor can I deny that the modifications you made are correct. Our internal machining procedures and custom modifications are simply in house information.

Steel synchros are available for the GT2/3 series of gearbox and they do help with wear. Making sure the proper amount of oil in the gearbox is important, inverted they take about 6.5 qts or so.

Also if you are having problems with repeated wear in race conditions you may want to look at the driver making the shifts. It is not always the gearbox's fault.

My driving services are also available but I demand 3000 green M&M's prior to the start of the race to increase my sugar level. Durning the race I need a live mountain lion in the car to keep me motivated. Post race I require 6-7 Corona's and a trip to the Waffle House. Other than that my fee varies depending on location, weather patterns and the current market value of individualy wrapped toilet paper, which happens to be priced as a commodity.

Thanks, custom gearbox service is available as well.

Ryan,

I have to admit that the mountain lion is a new one to me. I personnally chug a bottle of maple syrup and wash it down with the quart size Red Bull. Do you know where I can get a lion of any kind? Should I start off with, say, a bobcat until my skill level increases?

Joey

PS. All the best in your new business. I like your attitude already and that is a great way to start the development in the "make friend" arena.

Guys,

I am not trying to defend or criticize Wanni, but he writes like an Italian.

He stated his mods, and any competitor can see what he did. As noted, if he made a wrong statement, I can't imagine a competitor would tell him.

Actually he is pretty bold to say what he did.

He is one of the sharper technical people I have met along the way and I do not always agree with how he writes is posts. You can see my visit report to Gearfox/CIMA.

No more, no less.

Best
Dom

Joey,

For novice drivers my recomendation is to start with a squirrel or chipmuck, depending on their availability geographically. A bobcat may be a pretty big step! Regardless I do not have any Mtn. Lions in stock, we seem to be having a market shortage.

Thanks, I appreaciate the fun and kind words.

Take care fellows.

Dom,

Yes, I will post up a comeplete dimensional referance for the GT2. Please allow me to work up a technical diagram and post the picture. I am a Porsche Parts dealer and I can offer remanufactured, new, or used core rebuilds for most Porsche transmssions, so availabilty is usually very good.

Thanks, and check back in the next day for the posted diagram.

Take care gents.

Here is a basic dimensional tech diagram and info on the GT2 gearbox. Please excuse the paintshop picture, it would take a little bit longer to make this up in solidworks.

Take care fellows,

Attachments

• gt2dimensiontech.jpg
    gt2dimensiontech.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,445
My opinion, dear friends, is that if someone does not like my way to delivere specific informations he can just avoid to read my threads and by the way do not disturb who is interested about.
It would have been easy to ask those matters to Ryan privately. I did not just for sharing the points with the forum and that's it.
My questions were adressed to Ryan who was the only one asked to answer or not. All the ret is what you usually call ( sorry for grammatic mistakes ) HI JACKING.
Once again, I have a different mother tongue, it is already very difficult for me to write technical items in a foreigner language, I accept to have people not liking my threads, but if it is true that we are living in democratic countries, why I should not have my small space for who at the contrary likes my threads????
Make me/us a favor dear opposite thinking friends.....just ignore me.
Many thanks
Wanni

I might add the following information if it is of interest:
Albins in Australia make two transaxles for high power off road racing and when I last spoke to Ivan Albin he was selling the occasional transmission to sportscars. The larger transmission bolts up to a SBC and other options are available. His site is here: Albins offroad gear - products: Transmissions
The company is family owned and run and takes care of its customers.
Also of interest may be the fact that all of the gears in the porsche GT3 RS, RSR and Cup cars are not getrag but are made by Holinger in Melbourne. They are not conventional cut gears but are ground and have a 300% greater life expectancy and less power loss...plus a greater cost of course!

Don't now if you allready have these, but a few years back I measured up a UN1 R21T box, btw the file says it best suited for engines under 3 liter..... now where did that come from? and even if it breakes there's some really nice upgrades availeble at half the cost of a used G50

here's the piccies of the UN1

Lextreme: Lexus-Toyota V8 Forum

hope that enough, I have them for the 1uzfe toyota engine also btw should anybody be interested.

grtz Thomas

Holinger H6

The attached spreadsheet may be of interest, it goes some way to expaining the point that Kalun has made. It shows the theoretical rev drop between each gear shift, the cars (Group A V-8) this gear box is designed for rely on keeping things buzzed right at the top of their rev range, we have it installed in my Cobra, a five speed would have easily done the job as we have more torque and less power than the group A cars however as the ratios are so close I can get away with being in the wrong gear under moments of pressure

I have a VGC (which is the successor to the LG600 ) going into RF 117 I will dig out the specs and send on for inclusion on the central spreadsheet. It is a five speed box, the ratios that we have opted for line up almost exactly with 2,3,4,5,& 6 in the Holinger, The lay shaft lives under the diff which is different to most transaxles and has meant that we were able to sit the whole transaxle / engine asembly a lot lower than would otherwise be acheivable.

Iain

Attachments

• HolingerGearChart.xls
    24 KB · Views: 601
Holinger H6

The attached spreadsheet may be of interest, it goes some way to expaining the point that Kalun has made. It shows the theoretical rev drop between each gear shift, the cars (Group A V-8) this gear box is designed for rely on keeping things buzzed right at the top of their rev range, we have it installed in my Cobra, a five speed would have easily done the job as we have more torque and less power than the group A cars however as the ratios are so close I can get away with being in the wrong gear under moments of pressure

I have a VGC (which is the successor to the LG600 ) going into RF 117 I will dig out the specs and send on for inclusion on the central spreadsheet. It is a five speed box, the ratios that we have opted for line up almost exactly with 2,3,4,5,& 6 in the Holinger, The lay shaft lives under the diff which is different to most transaxles and has meant that we were able to sit the whole transaxle / engine asembly a lot lower than would otherwise be acheivable.

Iain

Again friends,
to build straight cutted gears ( spur gears ) without synchros ( dog clutches ) is not so difficult. But how many of you can drive a car without synchros????
Pls, never miss all the general points.
We are supplying officialy SCUDERIA FERRARI F1. It does mean nothing for GT road applications.
Easy........1) write your expected specifications from your dreamed transaxle.
2) check which one is the nearest to your specs.
To shut at 360° is not the way to focus what you are expecting, believe.
Just to simplyfie.....ask yourselve what you want from a transaxle and after check which is the nearest according to the ratio price/performances. Just that easy.
Regards
Wanni

Ryan,

Just went to update thet spread sheet, and I was unable to take the measurements from your post above.

Can you kindly do the measurements please?

Thanks
Dom

I have done a little bit of clean up on the spread sheet. I have included conversions for USD / EUR / AUs. Additionally, I have included NM / LB torque conversions.

There are a lot more blanks on the spread sheet!! I would be happy to add in missing info if anyone wants to send it to me. I hope I have not stepped on any toes by making some changes.

This thread should be a sticky or start a new sticky thread with just the spread sheet. Take a look at how Articles - X5world has an "Articles" section in the front of the forum for common questions / how to's. A section like that would be pefect for this site with so many of the same questions about engines and transaxles.

Oh, the spread sheet or the thread should also have links to supplier's web sites. That would be extremely helpful!!!

Here is my first go at it... I have a few more changes in mind....

Attachments

• Transaxle Comparison.xls
    30.5 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
I think it would also be extremely helpful to add if the units will fit with modifications or what modifications they require and the cost to do so.

My currency conversions were a bit off. :rolleyes: Here is an updated version with the correct conversion ratios:

Attachments

• Transaxle Comparison.xls
    34 KB · Views: 850
Back