Nicks Forte Scratch Build - to Stunning Mk1 GTD

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Nick
I have been drawing diagrams in my head and I see.
Turn sidelights of headlights on, will power to side of relay.
Preas momentary button, relay latches and light turns on

How do you turn the Fog light off without turning the main lights off? or have you managed to get the momentary switch to unlatch the relay on the second press?

NickD

Supporter
Some good progress since my last post. The fuel system is now fully plumbed in and includes a pressure regulator and a gauge. Now just awaiting the arrival of the exhaust and a new distributor and we should be ready for a first attempt at an engine start. Hopefully all scheduled for 2nd weekend in March. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• C9EB95C3-5B12-4453-A274-B80F2C0A9671.jpeg
    C9EB95C3-5B12-4453-A274-B80F2C0A9671.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 976

NickD

Supporter
Looking at the quality of the new Tony Law manufactured exhaust, I certainly made the right decision in replacing my home made one with this. The quality is excellent. It fitted the car like a glove and didn't require any heavy pushing and shoving to get it all in place.

Probably the best investment I have made in relation to the car build to date.

Just a few more things to address and we should be edging closer to the first try at firing her up ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 957

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Nice work Nick, I look forward to the first firing. I was struck by the fact that the exhaust is strikingly similar to my own, albeit non-crossover exhaust. I don't have the best picture to show it, but in particular the fabrication and welding of the collectors looks the same, although my silencer is one wrapping as opposed to two. The clamps look exactly the same, but there is a design improvement in having the clamps vertical for the bottom tubes as they are hellishly difficult when underneath and diametrically opposite the top ones.

Dave
329.jpg

NickD

Supporter
Hi Nick,

What pressure regulator are you using.

Thanks
Nick
Hi Nick.

Nothing fancy, it has a range that covers the 3-5 psi that these carbs are happy with. The link below seems to pint to an identical product.

Best.

Nick.

Neil

Supporter
Nick & Nick,

That is the same type of fuel pressure regulator that burned my Porsche 911 to the ground. It leaked at the parting line where it is screwed together. As I was making a left turn at a traffic light, a pedestrian yelled "Hey, you're on fire!" a split-second later a truck driver said the same thing; I glanced in the rear-view mirror and it was true. Flames and black smoke issued from the rear louvers. That was the end of the 911. If you drive a rear/mid engine car, you are the last to know you are on fire. o_O

NickD

Supporter
Decided to have the engine professionally rebuilt so while that’s away I have set about tidying up the interior. Trying to make the cabin a little easier on the eye and also address any nasty burrs and sharp edges. Something the inspectors here are quite hot on.

Fitting a black carpet to most surfaces which are nicely touched off by the M5 screw heads.

All in all, quite happy with the results to date. ;-)

Engine is due back in 2 weeks so plenty of work ahead.

Attachments

• 893E1409-F904-42C8-8B99-A0325E202F80.jpeg
    893E1409-F904-42C8-8B99-A0325E202F80.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 764
  • 1FB92A47-FACF-4BB9-81BF-A2BAC7BBEA2F.jpeg
    1FB92A47-FACF-4BB9-81BF-A2BAC7BBEA2F.jpeg
    605 KB · Views: 732

NickD

Supporter
Been quite slow on the progress front but should get the cabin carpet job completed Tomorrow. My short engine is due back from the builders in a few days so I’ll then have some serious works to be getting on with.

Finally seem to be on the homeward leg. 7 1/2 years in now since I started with nothing but steel tube and determined to complete before the 8th anniversary.

Attachments

• 0F72BD76-1E8A-4546-9E81-AFB934EC8FDD.jpeg
    0F72BD76-1E8A-4546-9E81-AFB934EC8FDD.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 612
  • F692D93B-724B-4948-8522-E5705C86AE1E.jpeg
    F692D93B-724B-4948-8522-E5705C86AE1E.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 666

NickD

Supporter
Well, seems I along with my engine builder) has got to grips with my engine issues. Sent the entire short engine off to a well recommended company here in the UK to totally recondition my 1973 SBF and balance my entire rotating assy. Earlier in this thread when I first started her up I couldn't get to grips with the large vibrations. Very long story short, turns out the supplier of my complete Ford to Audi Trans-axle purchase (GT Forte), completely screwed up the normal engine external in-balance set up for my 50oz ford Windsor on their flywheel assy. My Engine shop couldn't actually believe what they were dealing with. I won't say any more as there are already too many threads on GT-Forte to put more petrol on this fire. I think my engine builder summed it up. Total Engineering Incompetence !

How difficult can it be to put the flywheel weight in the right place ?

This has cost me around £2.5K to address something that should have been a simple slam dunk purchase.

Pic to show just how bad you can do it. You can see the new position and the original. I think you can agree with my engine shops comments, "Would have shaken itself to pieces if you have put your put down !"

Attachments

• IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 627

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Bloody hell mate, no point I keep my old audi 24oz flywheel from same supplier then. Glad you finally got things sorted!

Nick,
perhaps an stupid question from me..... if your engine block is year 1973...... shouldn't you have a crankshaft 28oz? or did you replace with crank after 1981@ 50 oz?
Paul

NickD

Supporter
Hi everyone, it’s been a while since my last post. Anyway, to make it short, had the engine rebuilt and correctly balanced. (The Ford Windsor is not a common engine here in the UK but a great company did a stunning job on her)

As they say, pictures speak a thousand words so a link below to the short video.

Best.

Nick.

NickD

Supporter
Hi everyone,

After a full month away in Thailand after the last video which was really centered on making sure the engine was finally spot on. Finally had a full weekend to pop the clutch assy along with gearbox back onto the car. By next weekend I hope all the ancillary services will be all connected / plumbed in to complete the engine/gearbox once and for all.

A right bugger to get the clutch assy along with gearbox back onto a car like this in a freezing English January day when all by yourself, fingers are still numb after 30 mins in the sauna ;-)

This car build is finally getting towards its conclusion.

On a side note, my wife and I will be leaving the UK early next year so finished or not, the car will have to be sold as Thailand has a 300% import duty on any vehicles perceived value so I cant take with us. its my intention to finish her and IVA just for my own gratification but if the right offer came in, she would be up for sale.

Anyone interested let me know ?

More progress updates to come as she nears completion.

Best to everyone.

Nick.

Attachments

• IMG_4155.jpg
    IMG_4155.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_4154.jpg
    IMG_4154.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_4152.jpg
    IMG_4152.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 373

Udo

Supporter
Hi everyone,

After a full month away in Thailand after the last video which was really centered on making sure the engine was finally spot on. Finally had a full weekend to pop the clutch assy along with gearbox back onto the car. By next weekend I hope all the ancillary services will be all connected / plumbed in to complete the engine/gearbox once and for all.

A right bugger to get the clutch assy along with gearbox back onto a car like this in a freezing English January day when all by yourself, fingers are still numb after 30 mins in the sauna ;-)

This car build is finally getting towards its conclusion.

On a side note, my wife and I will be leaving the UK early next year so finished or not, the car will have to be sold as Thailand has a 300% import duty on any vehicles perceived value so I cant take with us. its my intention to finish her and IVA just for my own gratification but if the right offer came in, she would be up for sale.

Anyone interested let me know ?

More progress updates to come as she nears completion.

Best to everyone.

Nick.
Hi Nick, that‘s tough after all the years of building. Good luck with the sale.

Back