P51 Pilot - Lt. Jim Brooks

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Thanks Randy, a beautiful and moving film.
Thanks to Jim and all the guys like him who came over here and helped to keep us free.

Dave

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Very Nice! Wonderful men in fantastic machines. Beautiful story!

The Mustang is the flying equivalent of the GT40, and has held my admiration since I was a kid. I've probably built in some form or fashion 15 RC Mustangs from the old Ace pulse proportional sets to an 8 channel. When I saw the movie "Cloud Dancer", the Mustang scenes made the movie a hit for me.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Randy, a great post. The Mustang has always been one of my favorite aircraft. What a great restoration of the old birds.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
An interesting but little known fact.
The design of the P 51 was commissioned to a Royal Airforce design brief, overseen by the old Air Ministry. Then retro fitted with the Rolls Royce Merlin engine to make it competitive in the European theatre of operations.
A complete opposite of the parts and nations of origin to the old 40.

Found this baby last weekend at the fargo air museum.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 378
I was out working on my plane the other day and the hangar across fomr me opened up - nice P51 and a P38 - real nice. A little while later a P51 taxied out for takeoff. What a nice sound that merlin has...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
My dad was stationed in England and flew P51's over Europe during WWII. He was shot down three times (once by friendly fire), twice behind enemy lines, captured once by the Nazis and escaped. You can still find his confirmed kill on the internet. He would never talk about the war, but would occasionally talk about the thrill of flying the P51.....after WWII he stayed on in England for a while, test flying the USAF's high altitude pressure suit that eventually morphed into the suits the astronauts wear. He had nothing but kind comments regarding the hospitality of the Brittish.

Many thanks to all over there for getting him home safely!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Last edited:
Looks like your dad was stationed at RAF Fowlmere.

I go shooting in Lincolnshire sometimes and there are a lot of disused bases there. If it had been one of those I could have taken some photos for you, if anything remained.
Sadly Fowlmere is in East Anglia and nothing worth mentioning of the base is left.

We really do appreciate the sacrifices you guys made during WW2

I was born in the late 60's but my parents were of the wartime generation, so it was interesting to read that your dads unit provided air cover for the D-Day landings - MY dad was in one of the landing craft the fighters were there to protect :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
RAF Fowlmere airfield, 339th FG

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/usaf/Fowlmere.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/0900913096/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books

I think it is but I cant be sure if this was the book I did the piloting for the aerial shots with a photographer in the back hanging out the window. I think his Weston Light meter
fell out somehwere because I was estimating the light for him.
Dead easy really , 800 ASA = F8 at 1/1000. (Every picture I ever took came out grainy !)

Those flights would have been about 1976. Many of the airfields were no longer visible
and had, by then, returned to full time agriculture especially in East Anglia where the 8th Army Air Force were mainly based.

Last edited:
Back