Political forum

Any chance we could have a separate political forum, where Bob and Jim can discuss the relative merits of communism vs nazism? (Just kidding guys!)

That way the rest of us could just chew the fat like we used to, and those who have probably become disillusioned with the paddock of recent times may come back.

Ron Earp

Admin
Short response from phone: IMHO the Paddock went down the tubes. Might be time to just turn that subforum off.

Be a shame to close it down. There is some good stuff in it. It just need separating out, so those with a desire to engage in political discussion may do so with out impacting on the rest of us.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...IMHO the Paddock went down the tubes. Might be time to just turn that subforum off.

I understand where you're 'coming from'. I dropped in on the "paddock" a while back...left to don my flack jacket and gas mask...went back...read a few more exchanges...and I again retreated to my own bunker w/o firing a shot (oops! Dare I USE metaphors like those these days?)! I decided the place was a bit too hostile for me. ('Can't say I wasn't warned! 'Sez in plain English, "Enter at your own risk"!)

My point is one can turn the Paddock off any time he chooses by simply not going there. 'Same with any particular cable show or whatever. Given that, there's really no need to shut it down for everybody IMHO.

'Just my unsolicited $.02...

:chug:

Ron Earp

Admin
My point is one can turn the Paddock off any time he chooses by simply not going there. 'Same with any particular cable show or whatever. Given that, there's really no need to shut it down for everybody IMHO.
:

Righto. My comment was more tongue in cheek and certainly not serious in my suggestion of shutting it down. If you don't like what is going on down there, then don't visit. I'm not kicking a few people out, or making another subforum just for those people.

If you don't like some of the folks in the paddock make liberal use of the "Ignore User" feature of the forum. Try it. It's fun.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, Jon, Larry,

I very much understand what you are saying, I too have become tired if this type of talk.

I promised a while back that I longer would start any political threads and promised to resond to honest discussions in a friendly and thoughful way.

That said, when someone almost daly starts thread after thread, virtually all one sided misleading and often completely un-true, I feel the need to respond.

Just in the last few days we have heard from this poster that:

Liberals support radical Muslim Jihadists.................

80 House Democrats are members of the Communist party.................

With absolutly ZERO proof, how can anyone really believe this?

Is anyone OK with this type of absurd dillusion?

Guys, help me out here, how should a careing person react to this type of post?

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

Well, on that one point let me make just this ONE tongue-in-check observation here on this thread just for the sake of convenience. I'll not violate the rules beyond that - 'gospel!

"United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Monday pledged $900 million in aid to the Fatah-led Palestinian Authority, including $300 million for rebuilding Hamas-controlled Gaza."

(Shttp://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/130215 )

Soooooo, technically I guess one could say..............! :D

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...with apologies to everyone for the aforesaid.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Just in the last few days we have heard from this poster that:

80 House Democrats are members of the Communist party.................

Does anyone really believe this?
Yes...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I would support the creation of a '"sub lounge" political discussion/delusional/rant/voices from God area.

That way the people (LB) who seem to believe they can change someone else's view via a post can attempt it there and leave the lounge to us alcoholic, perverted, communist pedophiles!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As some of the younger forum crowd is so fond of doing....

If you don't like some of the folks in the paddock make liberal use of the "Ignore User" feature of the forum. Try it. It's fun.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
is the right answer....

That and try to understand that the reason there are so many different colors of paint is that the world is not a binary place..

We do not need a political forum. What we need is a bit more tolerance for each other's vantage points - or - just ignore those that you would just rather not hear from any longer..

Bottom line is that we all came to this place united in one thing - the appreciation of fine automobiles and racing cars... Try to remember that..

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Guys, help me out here, how should a careing person react to this type of post?

Recognize that a significant fraction of the population at large is crazy, and that there is no reason the same statistics shouldn't apply to a subforum like the Paddock. So when you're walking down an urban street and you see someone babbling to his "voices" what do you do? Argue with him? I try to avert my eyes and tip-toe by. You're not going to change the "mind" of someone who says those things seriously. Now if he's kidding, that's another thing entirely.....

But back to the original question: is the issue really between "politcal" and otherwise, or is it really between "polite" and otherwise? My point being there are two binary issues here: whether we have a forum that is by definition "off topic", and whether we have a forum that is unmoderated. They are really to unrelated concepts.

So if you guys get a "political" forum then I want a "when to use a torque wrench" forum. :laugh:

PS one of my favorite observations about the internet:

"We used to think that given enough time millions of monkeys at typewriters would produce Shakespeare. The internet has proven that not to be true."

Last edited:
Ah, please don't turn off the paddock. Yes, there's some squabbling that goes on there but it's a helluva lot better than Hondachat.com.

How about just change the forum name to "Crazyassliberalscommisandnazis" so it's clear what goes down there?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Alan,

I enjoyed meeting you at the BBQ, we had a good time.

I understand what you are saying, and you make a good point about the stability of many folks. What I wonder about, I rarely see more than one person babbling at the same "voice". Its surprising to me the number of folks here who jump in to agree with the "babbling voice".

I vote for a sub forum... That way I have a greater chance of seeing the posts made by Pete and Keith of funny yet mildly inappropriate pictures rather than having them pushed to the second page so quickly.

I would be fun to see the stats of who posted if there was a sub forum for politics... would be dominated by two people.

The problem that I have is that I have basically no self control! I want to not read that stuff but I feel a duty to protect my country and jump in with both feet.

At that point the battle is on....

Then at a track event I see the gentleman I was battling with and I can't stand him anymore because I believe him to be an idiot from the other side.

That is a shame but I'm human and that's the way I am. So I have tried very hard to avoid the discussions because I don't want to miss an opportunity meet a great guy and talk cars.

Having said all that, let it rip! You don't need the government, sorry, I mean the moderators, to tell you what you can and can't say. Just don't go there. Let those that want to go down that road go ahead and hash it out.

Back