Porsche 908/910 project

Thanks to all for these kind comments !
Some replies ;
Wheels are replicas of original 15" one ( made by one of the group close to Chris Melia in charge of casting and machining uprights , hubbs and wheels) :idea:

If you want similar parts to built similar récréation car Just PM to Chris Melia he would give you all details for acquiring parts ( now everything is avaible from him and his partners I guess):thumbsup:

The car was only on show display and will be tested next months being only 660 kgs and 300 Hp could be quicker than one of these modern GT ... well I suppose !!!:laugh:

I was also woundering if RCR ever built one of these? It looks like an easier build than a GT40. Any pictures next to a gt40? Thanks brian

As writted some post aboves long time ago this built can be done by people who have skills in fabricating as tubes kit are to be welded to form the chassis , then bodywork have to be bonded on the right position ; arch wheels are closed so it's along ang precautionus work to do
Nothing not feasable but don't know really if it's easier to fabricate than a GT 40 ( for sure much more consuming time than a fully ready GT 40 kit coming in parts fully built !!)

Never forget that this is more like a scratch built project not a "kit building" but at the end it's a real recreation as everything is build as it was on the 70's

Michel is quite right in saying that you really do need skills to put together this type of car and they are certainly more time consuming and complex than a 40.

You have to have a completely different mind set in constructing a tubular chassis and bonding the bodywork to it, let alone the very running of one on the track or on the road.
Up to the final 917 design you have to get it right, never forgetting just how vunerable you are.

Michel has long term skill and understanding of engineering and this type of car and you cannot expect to just pick up the telephone and buy all your parts "of the shelf", as he has indicated. Even in period, each car was slightly different and hand assembled.

This car that he has constructed is simply fabulous and it will be exceptionally quick and agile.

Keep it on the black stuff Michel !!!!!

Yes Graham is perfectly right with his comment and description !
You know Graham it's your built that was the inspiration for me to start !!!
Hope when I will bring the car to Chris for some fun with UK friend at Sneterton you will be there and we will do some runs together to remind these splendid years when these cars where born and racing together in different categories !!
I missed you last time when doing your test and will be more than honored to meet you !!!
I agree totally with you with all points ; watching the car finished I scratch my head thiniking ... hooooo I did it !! what achance !!!! all carbon fiber tubs and LPM1 cars I did by before where far more easier to built !! LOL
Just draw on CAD send files to subcontractors and "et voila" !!assembling ; for cars like yours or this one it's a long long trip to go .....
As we said in french Language ; when you like it you don't count !!!!!!!!!!!

This is the most amazing recreation of a classic!!! The 908
is my favorite sports racing car of all time!!!!!!!! I am hopeful that
I will be able to source the parts/plans to begin to build one for
myself.....even if I have to buy a TIG machine and learn to weld
expertly!!!!... It would be a project that was worth every minute to be
sure. Congratulations to Chris on his fine work!!
Cheers,
Guil

For those asking more about the built these are some figures of the project ;

With tubes laser cut strictly to original drawing redone in CAD and provided By Chris ;
Tackwelding ; 85 hours
Welding only tubes ; 195 hours
Drawing all specific brakets to have these laser cut ; 85 hours
Tackwelding and welding ; 85 hours
Whishbone drawing and fabricating : 257 hours
Upright Provided fully assembled with specific wheels ; then preassembling to
chassis ; 55 hours
Engine mounts and header ; 156 hours
Oil cup and tank design and fabrication ; 120 hours
Dashboard installation with original ancillaries and harness ; 170 hours
Bodywork lining , triming and bonding ; 389 hours
Paint at a professionnal worshop ; 120 hours
Final assembling of all parts after plating , painting etc ; 350 hours
Watching at pics of original ones to match the real deal ; NO LIMIT !!!!!!

The fact is now with all tools done before by Chris and his friend for Bodywork, Chassis and Uprights plus a large quantity of small tools done for all needed ancillaries ( air ducts , specific seats etc etc ) and also drawings done for steering rack , driveshaft it's easier to start such project ; but never forget isn't at all a simple replica it's a real recréation so need a HUDGE amount of hours and skill if it's the real first fabrication project!!!!!

For your eyes :drunk::drunk::laugh::laugh:

Attachments

• bretille 018 [1024x768].jpg
    bretille 018 [1024x768].jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 813
  • bretille 016 [1024x768].jpg
    bretille 016 [1024x768].jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 840
  • 908 Rear assembled upright.jpg
    908 Rear assembled upright.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 813
  • arriére (16).jpg
    arriére (16).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_2609 - Copie.JPG
    IMG_2609 - Copie.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 699
Just look at the time this project has been going on. From Nov. of 06 till now. That should tell you what dedication is needed (even IF you have the skills) to build such a magnificent machine.

Wow, i had know idea Michel that you had that much time in this. Great build, like many i wish it could happen. That would be a great pace car to use in the tour de france when the group hit the mountain. Have fun driving.:thumbsup:

Chris Melia started some years ago ; 2 cars where in project built then one more 2 years ago and I had my parts for starting my own chassis November 2013
So some more are in progress and will be achieved on following monthes I guess

Beautiful work.
It appears from the pictures the ducts behind the doors in the rear body are only for rear brake cooling. Or is that air directed to other cooling needs as well?

Beautiful work.
It appears from the pictures the ducts behind the doors in the rear body are only for rear brake cooling. Or is that air directed to other cooling needs as well?

Thanks for your comment
Those ducts are for fresh air to the gearbox casing both sides and the brakes ( below)
The right inside duct one have a small deviator versus an oil cooler ( gearbox oil driven by an electric pump)
Those ducts where strictly fabricated to dimensions and shapes of original ones !!
'(Apologise on dust on parts ; pics are from the engineering phasis!!)

Some pics are better than thousand words :laugh:

Attachments

• arriére (7).jpg
    arriére (7).jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 593
  • arriére (18).jpg
    arriére (18).jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC00361.jpg
    DSC00361.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 473
  • DSC00360.jpg
    DSC00360.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 406
  • DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 475
Hi Guys

This project has taken a great leap forward thanks to Michel for all his hard work sorting out those hard to find bits of information plus his energy and drive. His car is truly fantastic.
I also owe a big thanks to John Wisher for the great chassis, uprights and wheels, this car is not a kit car but a re-creation

regards

Chris.

Hello mates
After finishing all small details and all car being achieved I finally was able to start the engine this week !
Video of the first start and injection set up is there :

907 RMS on Vimeo

Now all stickers are on and the car is ready for the first run weekend 19/20 july ; on my city they are organising sort of "small local le mans/rally classic" into the streets of the old city harbour ( 200 historic cars planning to come for parade and regularity laps in closed town circuit )

Attachments

• IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Hello Fran

Yes it's really a big issue !!! all my old collegues "scrutiners" at Le mans classic
where telling ( watching at the pics I had with me ; Hummm if one day you want "HPT" we will detaill many thing in your build as it is the first time we are watching such a "clean bodywork and chassis fabrication" !!! LOL
I have to admit that it is really thanks to Chris ; due to the very neat work his guys did on the fiberglass and also fabricating a round chassis tubes with nice laser cut parts is a real pleasure .
John Whisher did alos asuperb work in doing those exceptional uprights and Hubs

Now just one or two weeks to appreciate the car and then HOP la!!!directly into my next project ( I think you Fran will appreciate my choice - as we are so far with big pond between us ! and I cannot start and SLC that will be one of my dream am starting an ..... Stratos ( trying to replicate a special one !!!!)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I was thinking of a Le Mans car but that would have been the Monte Carlo based Lancias and the LC2 cars

Last edited:
Back