Rcr 40-31

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Ugh. Back to square one.

I relocated the amplifier yesterday to behind the driver's seat:
AM-JKLVHSqIog7RwYNPcxZoUzI3w9pjPcfvb6eKTC5JyoFPdc4OhOXpImKTocjzsUqGYPwoHmmzIUmLDZ1vcU5LmQd9VyrXpaTUd3LSKfpDpVTOs-BbxgkVzNH8gl0NZMvjpJmorVhVva8FPWqOsVWjMb7IIRA=w596-h625-no

I then went for a hoon through the toolies for ~30m and turned the wick up. I then slowed it down a little bit to reduce airflow/cooling through the engine bay and sure enough, the stutter returned.

Problem not fixed.

Not sure why it worked without issue for my 50 mile drive, but I'll take it.

I've been consumed with work on the truck so this will again go on the back burner.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Chris - are your radiator fans wired through relays or direct?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, I figured that but wanted to be certain. Was thinking of voltage spikes and spurious surges and the potential of over voltage to take out the amplifier. Mallory makes / made a filter to go in front of their Unilite distributors. The electronics of their amps did not take kindly to sudden changes or spikes. Being that your modules are actually OEM type quality, I would presume that they were somewhat hardened.
Well drat!

Edit - Heat sync grease applied to the base of the amp where it’s mounted?

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Grease- yep.

Also, it was not hot after the latest ride. The scenario where the engine bay heat soaks the amp would not apply here. It was room temperature.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Chris, are you sure it is electrical?
My 40 is fuel injected, tank to filter to swirl, then HP to fuel rail and return the same route.
it died a few times, and when left for a while would start right up and drive fine, and then in another few runs time die again.

in my case it was dirt in the fuel line tank to filter to LP pump, and with the pump sucking the crud would block the pipe. Turn it off and the crud settled and it would run fine again.

Blew the fuel lines back from fuel pump, swapped to new filters and problem resolved.

and when the fuel runs out it stops, will splitter a bit then die.

easy enough to check and rule,out!

ian

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hi Ian,

I can't say that I know what it is at all, but the symptoms certainly feel like they're electrical. There are two modes to it- one with the stutter which has been the more prominent one, and one where the voltage flicks up and down like a massive draw is being made on the system.

It's easy enough to crack some lines and change a filter though, so worth the check. Not much will happen though until after I have the camper a few steps further forward though.

Hey Chris, was just catching up on your dilemma. Doesn't your ECU have datalogging capability? You could glean enough information to figure out what is going on.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Nope. It's not that fancy.

I'll need to go through it a bit when I have time to dedicate to it and poke at the other sensors. Something appears to be temp-sensitive and the list of them can't be that long, right?

Back