RCR Kits in Australia

Just wondering if anyone in Australia has or is contemplating an RCR kit? Looking at the US$ prices for their new deluxe kit they look real good value, even at US-AUD$.7150 exchange.

How much of a headache do you reckon local registration would be - probably running with a new quad cam 5.7l Ford?

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg

What duty does Aus have? I was checking out NZ's and it looks like 10% import duty and 12% GST. 22% is a large chunk of change. Is Aus less??

Cheers, Neil

Greg do yourself a favor and hop on a plane up to QLD first Saturday of the month and visit the DRB BBQ. Peters customers are always keen to speek to GT40 fans.

Darrell
DRB #46

Neil

I just had a look at: www.customs.gov.au/ for you, but finding a figure for import duty was beyond me (at least in the 10 mins I was looking).

However, I telephoned customs about 18 months ago, and the general import duty was 15%. I don't know if it has changed since then.

GST will be 10% on top of the total of cost + import duty, so the numbers will probably end up to fairly close to the NZ figures.

Yeah.. judging from previous imports, it will all total anywhere between 15 and 25%...depending on declared value!

Re: DBRs - had a look when they were Sydney based.

Cheers
Greg

Bit more news about NZ (sorry if not quite on topic). I received an e-mail answer from NZ customs. They said as long the kit resembles the basics of a car there is no duty, i.e. NZ has no duty on imported cars. I am not sure if this info helps you Aus guys out in anyway, but its good news for me as I am hoping to get a GOX car into NZ:)

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil

Why a GOX when you have Dave Brown already there making mono's in NZ. Dave is a top craftsman, for more detail talk with Brian Stewart.

Regards

Chris.

PS. Goran was supposed to have been Dave Browns machinist in the beginning.

Hi Chris

If I could afford a mono I would of course go with a local NZ product. But GOX offers a two tier product. The mono and a space-framed version. The latter is very well priced at 130,000SEK for the race kit that comes standard with roll cage, steel roof and pillar sections pre-welded along with a steel floor, alloy uprights etc. Actually this is why I asked you the question in your thread regarding powdercoating of steel outer panel, I hope you can get some time to answer in other thread.

To be honest I have not even looked at Dave's car, just assumed that it is out of my budgeted price range and skipped over it.

Again sorry Gregg for taking this thread off topic. I am wondering Greg if importing cars from NZ to Aus is duty free as our countries are so close. Maybe there is a way around paying duty, I highly doubt it though.

Regards, Neil

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
It is worth checking on your import regulations.

In the past (yes a number of years ago now)race cars were zero rated for duty but that would then mean they would not be road legal.

It all depends what you are lookig at regarding use.

As I say a long time agoo but for a saving it could be worth while

Ian

[ QUOTE ]
Re: DBRs - had a look when they were Sydney based.

Cheers
Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

DRB factory has always been based on Gold Coast/Brisbane. They have dealers all around the country, so expect you visited a dealer.

Considering the cost & time involved in building these, I would seriously look at proven local product first which means flying up to see Peter Ransom.

RCR looks like a fine product, but you are a long way from any support. Plus they are not what I consider a sorted kit(no offense).

Plenty of DRB GT40's circulating race tracks up here on a regular basis. This has been the case for years. All of these are used on the road as well. Even Peter Ransom(owner DRB) races his GT40. And Peter has driven his GT40 to Melbourne and back a couple of times in the last 6 months. Just see the work both on road & track that Flatchat's old DRB GT40 performed, not many GT40's in the world like that. It was what you would call the unoffical test mule.

But then again if you want to be a pioneer, take a few chances and do something different, the RCR is the choice for you.

Just re-reading my post above, I don't really want to come across as a RCR basher. It certainly looks like a fine product and could be very well sorted out of the box, knowing Frans background and commitment.

It would be cool to see some RCR's out here in Aus.

Just thought it was worth mentioning the points above.

Craig,
absolutely no offense taken mate and thanks for the input.....its a big world..(a little too big sometimes)....and there is room for everyone to enjoy themselves...
I hear your brother has a giant killer of a Cobra.....better get that DRB on some Nitrous and show him how its done.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks Fran.

Yeah, he certainly is killing them on the track with that Harrison beast at the moment. I could brag and say I built that Cobra with my brother, but to be honest it's had so much tweaking and refining since then, that my contribution now is not worth mentioning. Plus he certainly has some skill at steering it around the track. Still help him out and support him on race trips where I can.

Note: My avatar is not me racing the Harrison, but the previous Cobra we built & owned together.

My understanding was that it was Sydney based until the business was sold recently to a DRB client and moved to QLD. No matter anyway - we are going to the Gold Coast Indy in October and am planning a visit to DRB at the same time.

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Fran,
I was looking at Billy D. build pictures and the roll bar looks like a direct bolt in. Do you know if your roll bar would be a direct fit to the RF.

Oliver

Back