Renato's GT40 MkI Coyote

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, my lower ones are Moog K772's and upper ones supplied by kit, not sure what part#.
Del-Spheres look nice but they are too big to fit my suspension mounting points.

Renato

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Parking Brake

Trying to put together parking brake setup with off the shelf items. Found that Lincoln MKZ parking brake lever and Ford Fusion cables might fit.
Did a mod to the lever mounting tab and made a bracket for cable attachment. Nothing permanently mounted yet, want to do a bit more testing to make sure the routing of the cables will be OK.

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 273.jpg
    Renato's GT40 273.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 401
  • Renato's GT40 274.jpg
    Renato's GT40 274.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 430
  • Renato's GT40 276.jpg
    Renato's GT40 276.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 446
  • Renato's GT40 277.jpg
    Renato's GT40 277.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 455

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Brake System

There's been a lot of discussion about brake boosters. Decided to go with them for now. They barely fitted on front bulkhead. It is getting crowded up front. Couple fender washers to get a stronger mounting point. Still need to make front mounting brackets to prevent too much movement.
After taking with few friends I purchased a vacuum tank for brake system. I haven't seen anybody use one but heard of vacuum issues so I guess it can't hurt to have one.
Picked out new master cylinders from Wilwood. I think it is going to be a trial and error in getting the right size MC, probably more error... :laugh:
After the chassis gets rolling I'll figure out the brakes...

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 285.jpg
    Renato's GT40 285.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Renato's GT40 287.jpg
    Renato's GT40 287.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 393
  • Renato's GT40 291.jpg
    Renato's GT40 291.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 362
  • Renato's GT40 292.jpg
    Renato's GT40 292.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 363
  • Renato's GT40 295.jpg
    Renato's GT40 295.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 447
Brake System

There's been a lot of discussion about brake boosters. Decided to go with them for now. They barely fitted on front bulkhead. It is getting crowded up front. Couple fender washers to get a stronger mounting point. Still need to make front mounting brackets to prevent too much movement.
After taking with few friends I purchased a vacuum tank for brake system. I haven't seen anybody use one but heard of vacuum issues so I guess it can't hurt to have one.
Picked out new master cylinders from Wilwood. I think it is going to be a trial and error in getting the right size MC, probably more error... :laugh:
After the chassis gets rolling I'll figure out the brakes...

Renato

I wouldn't think a stock cammed Coyote would give us much trouble with vacuum. Were these folks running cams with a lot of overlap maybe?

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Not sure Darrin, I'll go with it for now. I'm sure there will be a lot of tweaking in the brakes department when the car is finished...

Renato

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Lights

Found these nice aftermarket lights on EBay. They are from 04 Mustang Cobra and looks like they are going to fit just right with enough room for turn signals. The lens is glass, fully adjustable and the build doesn't look bad. They mount with four tabs and shouldn't be hard to glass in some threaded studs for mounting. Now hunting for turn signals...

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 314.jpg
    Renato's GT40 314.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 434
  • Renato's GT40 315.jpg
    Renato's GT40 315.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 379

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hmmmm... Renato - can you tell us the diameter of these lights please?

Thanks!

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Yup!

Let's see if I can do this correctly, it's a PDF...

Randy, let me know if you need any other measurements.

Renato

Attachments

• Driving Light Model (1).pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 312
Just ordered a set of these too. Now all I have to do is fabricate a way to mount them on my custom front spoiler. Gonna take some doing. May farm this part out.

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Darrin,
I'm also working on turn signals. Should have something next week, maybe few options. There is not a lot of room around the bottom (fog) light but enough for a small light. Some builders opt to put turn signals in the headlight area. Both look good and have it's challenges. Not sure if there is any DMV rule where the turn signals have to be? I think front ones have to be amber and rear red...

Renato

Renato and Darrin
You might want to opt for a smaller light than the big fog unit. As you may know, fog lights are typically yellow. Yellow light is bent easily, and therefore goes further (distance) than white light, that is scattered by water droplets(fog). I have one of the smaller high intensity lights. It is a Halogen 50 utilizing 50 watts. Package #85296 found at any of the big box stores. It is meant for track lighting and is 12 volts(2 prong).

P1010148.jpg

I had a surround from the original lights that happened to come with my car.

Bill

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,

Do you know of any restriction in locating the turn signal. I see yours is very close to the ground. I was planning to do something similar to your setup . There is enough room to put a (fog) light that I got and a small turn signal in the bottom well.
You're right about the light, it's not a fog light. It's more like a driving light. Not sure what was the purpose for these lights in the original GT40.

Renato

I am not aware of any restriction for the turn signals, but you are in a different state. To be honest I never looked up any restrictions. I also have side indicators of the same type up and behind the front wheel opening. I did this so that side coming traffic could see my intentions to turning. I don't think they would see the front indicators, not that they would be looking for that anyway!!

Bill

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Did a quick cut and paste (literally) of my driving (fog) lights. There should be enough room for turn signal next to it or on the top next to headlights. I'm getting few different type of turn signal lights and will see witch one looks the best.

Renato

Attachments

• Driving light GT40.jpg
    Driving light GT40.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 451
I really like these (mine arrived a couple days ago). Just waiting to get my light boxes completed. Thinking I might mount mine a bit further inboard though to give more room for the turn signals (assuming there is no law about how high they need to be).

Darrin,

There actually is a regulation in Texas on the height of the headlights. It used to be 18" and now I think it is 22". It is a little-known rule, my inspector didn't know about it until I asked. I think that if the car is titled as a 1966 Ford GT40 REPLICA, then you can to follow the 1966 rules, which I am pretty sure that they were 18" then. I actually titled a home-built car in the early 90's and that is when I learned about the headlight rule. That car wouldn't have passed where I wanted to put the lights. I think the GT40 headlights are more than 18" but less than 22". I don't know about other states.

-Bob Woods

I thought there was something like this in TX. I'll try to measure soon. Wonder how they measure...from the bottom, top, or center of the light though?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
If it is the same as the do in the UK it is from the bottom part of the light emitting portion of the light / cover

So a permanent "black out" (not insulation tape) along the bottom of a headlight can make the light reach it's correct height!

Ian

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Registration

Here are New York state DMV requirements for local builders. All is available on NYDMV site.

Renato

Attachments

• mv529.pdf
    45.5 KB · Views: 281
  • vs100.pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 257

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Cooling

For cooling pipes I decided to go with stainless steel 1.5 inch pipe, 0.060 wall. Looking back I should have gone with thinner wall. Couldn't bead the pipe so I made a short extension with a bead from a sanitary fitting.

For the radiator I made a bracket and 4 rubber bushings for mounting. The bracket has some adjustment to better fit the body.

Renato

Attachments

• Renato's GT40 305.jpg
    Renato's GT40 305.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Renato's GT40 313.jpg
    Renato's GT40 313.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 326
  • Renato's GT40 332.jpg
    Renato's GT40 332.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 289
  • Renato's GT40 353.jpg