RF #12 "Race" Chassis

i bought a 944 gearbox today (AOR code) LSD, i am planning to do Julian's (200MPH) 016/944 franken box. I have chosen to go this way as i want to get my car going asap.

I bought the AOR code 944 box as it has factory lsd, upgraded 1st and 2nd gears and an internal oil pump. I will have to get the 944 input shaft machined down to the 016 spec.
I am also hoping the 944 3.37 final drive fits the 016 housing. The Lsd and the 3.37 final drive will make a huge difference to the cars drivability. Pics and more info when the box turns up.

016 has a 24 spline ~20.4 dia input and 18 dia spigot which protrudes the bell face by 16 mm
01E /012 is 23 spline ~24 dia and 15 dia spigot which intrudes the bell face by 8 mm

AlbanyGT40, Chris, does that mean that one can or can't swap from an 016 to 01e using the same adapter plate but different clutch etc ?

David

David the adaptor plate will fit both the 012 and the 016, but to fit an 016 you will need a different flywheel, ive got the same problem here at the moment.

cheers John

No the flywheel seems to works. I fitted a later model audi clutch plate to suit 01E spline and fit the 016 flywheel. The later model clutch plate has an offset spigot to make up for the shorter 01E inputshaft. I am going for the 944 trans this time so cant prove concept.
My adapter kit is a KEP which is different to Flatchats and RF's set up.

Email me if you want to chat about it.

But yes if you have a KEP 016 kit then there is a good chance you can swap from 016 to 01E. Search gt40s.com because one of the members in the UK have done it already.

Last edited:
944 Transaxle fitment.

Today i got a hold of a 944 Bell housing to experiment with. As most of you will know these gearboxes are not set up for conventional clutch arrangements.

Firstly I made sure the bell housing bolted up to my KEP adapter which it does apart from one hole which can be drilled and tapped. I then mounted the adapter plate , flywheel and clutch to my motor and all cleared fine, even the dowels are correct.

I started with machining an alloy dummy input shaft to the 016 spline and Spigot bearing, I will needto get the 944 input shaft machined to these specs.

Next was to get a clutch fork working. I found that the 01E steel thrust bearing slider cylinder fits to the 944 bell but I need to weld some lugs to secure it properly. Then i drilled the housing to fit a pivot ball for the clutch fork. All seems to fit ok and matches the 016 set up. Next I have fab a bracket to mount a slave cylinder and job done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
01E thrust bearing slider / guide fits 944 housing. Needs lugs welded on and tapped to secure properly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
also here isa pic with from left to right an 01E , 016 and 944

all very similar and all bolt up to the KEP adapterplate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 339
Thanks Clayton

i am hoping to sell the 016 once the 944 box is done. The 01E will go in the new car. The 944 box is much tougher than the 016 and lsd and 3.3 final drive is cool.

i will get a slave cylinder tomorrow, will set up in the car to test clutch action ,then when my 944 box turns up i can strip and get input shaft machined and conversion done.

Great work Dave and thanks for the PM. I believe the 944T box is the best low cost V8 transaxle, you just have to make it work. I'm anxiously waiting for more on your discovery!

Here is the 944 box looking very 016. 944 test box is bolted in car, just need to mount slave cylinder and tested for operation then concept is proven and i can get parts cnc machined for real box

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 335
Ok. Clutch slave sorted. Just need to bleed up and test. All looks like it will work.

So there you have it a 944 box converted for normal operation.
*****UPDATE- Hydraulic testing done, clutch works perfecly***
All i need to do now is get my real box carry out same mods. I will do a picture by picture strip of the 944 box and how to measure input shaft for resplining and shortening....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Gearbox finally turned up, Stripped it down, the box is a bit tired and looks to needing a few bearings. I am planning a 2 stage build, 1st to get shaft machined and reassemble box as is then test all is ok in car and if concept works. If that works fine then strip box later and carry out full rebuild. Off to the machine shop for re-splining tomorrow, that is hard part.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 300
It takes a lot of machining to use the 016 housing, plus you need to redo all preloads as the cast steel housing is shorter on the 944 and needs a 3.7mm spacer plate, Its not an easy swap. also i have a perfectly good 016 that i want to keep for later. My mod means you don't need to have 2 gearboxes. You can buy a 944 box and work with it. I dropped the input shaft off at the machine shop so in a weeks time hopefully I will have a shaft.

Sorry just reread your post - reason is the ring and pinion does not fit in the 016 housing. the crown gear is to big, 016 housing requires boring out. The pinion does not fit in the 016 steel housing as the bearings are bigger on the 944 so the 016 housing would need boring to suit. also the 944 shafts are little longer than the 016......it' a mine field really. so I chose to keep the 944 box together , no hassels with preloads and spacers, boring. Just strip your 944 ,get your input shaft out and machine nose and you are done....

Last edited:
Machining the 944 shaft is no problem? It is not hardened? Do you still have to put in the strengthening plate? I have purchased the Ring and pinion for the 3.22 out of the 944 and was going to go that route with my 016 but if this is simpler I can change direction.

The machine shop called me today to say the inputshaft has been machined and bell housing mod done. I got the pilot bearing section of the input shaft machined to Ford T5 size so they are easy to get when swapping motors. When I get home i can finally put this box togethor. I steered away from mixing the 944 and 016 due to having to have spacers made and modifying shift rods/ preloads and so on. I will update pics and put a how to up here with a drawing for the mods to the inputshaft for everyone that's interested. Stay tuned

Strengthening plate- I am not sure, I think so. My box is based on Julians 944 box which runs this plate, I am thinking install it for insurance. Julian runs his 944 box hard, I don't think there are many 40's that run as hard or driven as hard as this car (it only races, not much cruising if any?) and the 944 has stood up fine for the last 4 years.

Last edited:
Back