RF #12 "Race" Chassis

I got the 944 input shaft back from the Machine shop today. New spline and pilot bearing machining done.

Assembled the box for test fitting, need to do a few more mods to bell housing. All looking good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 560
nice work Dave, I am using an Audi V8. From the photos the 944 should bolt right up to the Audi V8. Even the starter recess is clocked for the Audi V8. Currently I have a Boxster S 6 speed transaxle. It also bolts directly to the Audi V8 except the starter recess is at 12 o'clock. I thought of notching the Boxster belhousing to clear the starter but the 944 is already in the right place for the Audi starter. Besides the 944T trans has better gears.

let us know how it goes.

Keith it's a very easy mod to convert a 944 box for conventional use. Machine the inputshaft to 016 specs, machine a sleeve for the clutchfork to slide on...a few other things and you are done. My modified box is in the car and waiting for me to get the motor going...i will update the thread soon.

Here's the 944 box sitting in the frame....Tested clutch operation and all is good, this box has LSD 60deg, 3.375 final.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
New exhaust is on. Just a bit of wiring now and the engine should start.....hopefully...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 2,100

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looking very good Dave! I wished I had thought of machining the input shaft for the 944 box to take a pilot bearing.. I let a couple of these boxes go very cheap as spares for a 944 racecar project that never fully matured.. They'd be worth 10 fold if I had made those mods.. On well... They are a really good gearbox and should serve you well if you behave! :) and keep the fluid changed / cool...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sounded pretty healthy from what we heard... Make sure you make some sort of heat deflector for the tailpipes so as to not cook the clip!

Finally after nearly a year i drove the car today.....the 944 gearbox is as smooth as butter and shifts much nicer than the 016. I would say the conversion is a success and the new ratios much nicer....3.37 is a good final....so do the 944 convesion if you have a 016 fitted and want lsd and better cruising ratios....

Sadly i dont think the 944 is up to the new 414w and the stage 2 clutch slips at half throttle...

Hi John

Im hoping the clutch will settle in.....is good enough to run engine in.....

It will be hard to pull the 8 stack off as it works real nice....but it's not the look for the car I want......i have ordered a set of 15inch classic Avon tyres and new set of GT40 style Halibrands.....

I would like the car to have a full classic look.

Finally got the car out on the road again....The 414 is super strong. The Avon tyres are awesome to drive on and the Image wheels run true. My Alternator housing broke ending the drive, i actually thought the belt broke but closer inspection on side of road reveals housing broken.
Also really happy with the 944 gearbox....2100rpm at 100kph which is good.
The car is nearly finished but I want to swap the EFI out for webers. Then it's finished....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 337
Back