rolldown side windows

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Rob Beddington
Well he used to frequent this forum posted a picture of a motorised window system that he had acquired that was at one tome on a Sparro machine

Ian

What if you used it in the reverse of the subaru where as the front half of the window went up and down this way you would avoid the lock and door handle issues, this has given me new ideas on how to do mine now, thanks guys.
Bob

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
If memory serves....... there was one GT40 MkIII road car which was modified with roll down windows... wasnt it the one built for a famous conductor???? cant remember the chassis number......

anyone???

Edited...... after google search...

"Of the seven Ford GT40 Mark IIIs built, only four were delivered with left hand drive like this car. This rare street-legal example (serial #MK3 1105) was originally owned by well-known Austrian conductor Herbert von Karajan, who drove it sparingly and never in the rain."

And it wasnt this car with the roll down windows........

Also found this MkIII with chrome surround side windows (although not roll down).

Andy

Attachments

• mkIII.jpg
    mkIII.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 871
Last edited:

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Found it......not!!!! this is not a roll down window.....

I know I had seen it somewhere (actually in the flesh!!! its at the Beurley Motor Museum in the UK)

Any more info from anyone??????

Andy

Attachments

• MK3 roll down.jpg
    MK3 roll down.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 901
I think that for those who, like Dimi, use their cars frequently on the road, a roll down window isn't vital but would be extremely useful and pleasant. However, it would reduce the storage space available in the door.

Some years ago, before Ford put out the new GT, I studied this and proposed to a local kit builder that with a fixed front "quarter" window, a roll-down could be fitted if the glass wasn't really flush, but the back corner was inset slightly so that the glass rolled down into the door inside the latch mechanism and air channel recess. This inset could be disguised with a blackout or trim. The builder said the angles were all wrong and it couldn't be done, but I thought it possible. Obviously, the glass would need to be curved in one plane, and wouldn't roll all the way down, but I thought it would feel much better and be useful. Then what happens, but Ford follow this approach (successfully) with the new GT. If someone developed a kit for the replicas that could be retro-fitted into the doors, I think it would be purchased and fitted to many of the road cars, but it wouldn't be cheap.

In the meantime, the DRB road cars here are tending to use the Mk III type hinge out windows, with a fixed front quarter, plus lift off type hinges so you can have fully open areas that are quickly "windowed" again if locking up somewhere, or if it rains.

Hi Guys

is this what you want? electric door windows.

regards

Chris.

Attachments

• sb2.jpg
    sb2.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 950
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Chris - Who's car is that? Would be very interested in hearing more...

Hi randy

Its one of Franco Sbarro's GT40's it was on display at Franco's car design school in Switzerland. It had full leather interior.

Regards

Chris.

Attachments

• sb1.jpg
    sb1.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 637
  • sb3.jpg
    sb3.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 696
  • sb8.jpg
    sb8.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 722
  • sb10.jpg
    sb10.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 683

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi randy

Its one of Franco Sbarro's GT40's it was on display at Franco's car design school in Switzerland. It had full leather interior.

Regards

Chris.

Very nice! Would you have any other pictures of the power window car?

Interesting exhaust system on the car shown - not to mention the braking system shown!

Made a crude mock up of what I envisioned the glass to look like, this mite be doable next step is a trip to my favorite bone yard and look at windows and regulators
See ya later,
Bob

Attachments

• DSCN0214.jpg
    DSCN0214.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 661
There is another interesting partial roll down window on the Delorean. Has nice sealing strip between the two pieces.

I still like the idea of having the whole window go down, even if it will stick up a little when its all rolled down, much cleaner look I think.

I kinda like the gt's setup, my local dealer has an 05 in the showroom, for some reason no one wants to buy it. I guess when the sticker price hasn't change since 05 doesn't help. They just want to much. Any how I went and checked it out and it looks like the glass is more flush at the front of the door and recessed in a little by the back of the door were the latch is. I guess to make room for the duct. I just don't understand why ford split the window. I'm shure they could've made it with one peice glass.

Has anyone made any more progress on this?

I will be attempting something along these lines. I agree that with a lot of your thoughts in that I would sacrifice the window going all the way down to maintain a cleaner look.

If someone has actually managed this yet I'd love to see some piccies!

Cheers,

Graham.

Back