Nip it in the Butt

I chose the street tail over the race tail because I thought it gave the rear end a more finished look. However, there were always a few things that bothered me about the street tail:
  • Aesthetically, I thought the bumper and diffuser stuck out too far.
  • The bumper/diffuser protrusion hits the ground when the rear clam is opened.
  • In a car like the SLC where the chassis and body is all business, the bumper/diffuser seemed like a styling exercise with little other function than to cover the rear mechanicals.
  • The diffuser cups back under the engine compartment and blocks the aft portion of the transaxle and makes access difficult for maintenance, shift rod adjustment, etc.
  • There are lots of scoops to bring air into the engine compartment, but only 2 small grills in the back for the air to exit.
So I got a wild hair, grabbed my jig saw and went medieval on the rear clam bodywork. I cut the “U” shaped bumper out and recessed the diffuser about 2” further forward. If you have already mounted the rear clam, you can simply reposition the rear most set of mounting holes into the forward row of mounts. Then just trim 2” off the forward edge of the diffuser.

The result nearly doubles the exit vents in the rear and the diffuser is now a removable panel for easy access to the rear of the transaxle. The rear clam opens much further, so I added a retainer strap to keep the tail from hitting the ground when open.

The diffuser/bumper provided some structural strength to the rear clam, so I added 2 braces. Both braces attach to the back of the tail light bucket, so it its hidden and can be retrofitted to a finished car.
  1. A while back I added a brace from the pivot bracket to the back of the tail light bucket.
  2. The inner wheel well panels are really made for the race tail, and do not extend all the way to the back of the rear clam. So I fabricated a brace to “Mind the Gap”. The brace also has a retainer strap to keep the tail from hitting the ground when open.
The rear clam is stiff and has minimal flex so you can open it from one side.

Attachments

• IMG_4381.JPG
    IMG_4381.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_4409.jpg
    IMG_4409.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_4403.JPG
    IMG_4403.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_4407.JPG
    IMG_4407.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_4404.JPG
    IMG_4404.JPG
    552.7 KB · Views: 427
  • Diffuser tilt.jpg
    Diffuser tilt.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_4388.jpg
    IMG_4388.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_4389.jpg
    IMG_4389.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_4411.JPG
    IMG_4411.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 419
Bill,
you are quite right
The street tail was designed to meet and conform with overseas compliance issues.
Some of which require that the tires are not visible from the rear.
The diffuser is indeed to cover all the mechanicals , again to meet ADR and IVA requirements overseas.
The street tail does make the mounting of the taillights much easier than the race tail though...so there are many advantages to it over the race tail for a street car...

There are some new 'gooseneck" mounts in the works that will allow the tail to open further without touching the ground too btw.

Fran,

I would be interested in the new 'gooseneck" mounts when ready.

Just to be clear, I do like the street tail, that's why I chose it.

I just wanted to put my mark on it.:chug:
Bill,
you are quite right
The street tail was designed to meet and conform with overseas compliance issues.
Some of which require that the tires are not visible from the rear.
The diffuser is indeed to cover all the mechanicals , again to meet ADR and IVA requirements overseas.
The street tail does make the mounting of the taillights much easier than the race tail though...so there are many advantages to it over the race tail for a street car...

There are some new 'gooseneck" mounts in the works that will allow the tail to open further without touching the ground too btw.

Rub Me Wrong

I’m getting close to sending my SLC off for final paint, so I’m focusing on a few prep details. Nothing will mar a pristine paint job faster that body panels that rub each other. I carefully examined where the body panels contact each other and then used an orbital sander with coarse 80 grit paper to remove the fiberglass edges to improve the contour of the shape.

The panels that were rubbing each other were:
  • The back flange of the doors rubbing the spider
  • The rear clam at the fuel filler opening rubbing the spider
  • Driver’s side of front clam rubbing cowl on the spider
Then I installed 8 rubber bumpers to securely hold the body panels away from each other.
  • Top rear corner of each door (2x)
  • Top front corners of the rear clam (2x)
  • Disguised the spider’s rear mounting screws by a bumper with standoffs (2x)
  • Disguised the spider’s front mounting screws by a bumper with standoffs (2x)
It’s not very exciting stuff, but it has to be done before paint.

Attachments

• IMG_4791.jpg
    IMG_4791.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_4789.JPG
    IMG_4789.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 398
Zoom...Zoom

I took some time off today and went to the Charlotte Motor Speedway for the Mario Andretti Racing Experience to drive an Indy Style car.

Once I got there, I could see why they call them "Indy style". They really aren't Indy cars. They have a Indy like fiberglass body, but it covers steel chassis, a Chevy 350, a single speed transaxle, and Outlaw spindles/hubs. The cars have a chip with a rev limiter, as well as remote kill switch in case you try to pull a Talladega Nights Ricky-Bobby move :rolleyes2:

Once the storm clouds parted, I was able to clock 157.76 MPH!

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 405
Re: Zoom...Zoom

I took some time off today and went to the Charlotte Motor Speedway for the Mario Andretti Racing Experience to drive an Indy Style car.

Once I got there, I could see why they call them "Indy style". They really aren't Indy cars. They have a Indy like fiberglass body, but it covers steel chassis, a Chevy 350, a single speed transaxle, and Outlaw spindles/hubs. The cars have a chip with a rev limiter, as well as remote kill switch in case you try to pull a Talladega Nights Ricky-Bobby move :rolleyes2:

Once the storm clouds parted, I was able to clock 157.76 MPH!

Bill, your SLC is probably faster than that! I saw Wayne run 160 on the baking at Daytona with his SLC just after it was finished. He was aero limited, and felt he could have gone much faster with more downforce (easily attainable with a wing and fender vents, for example).

I replaced my front turn signals with a unit that has a stainless trim ring to give the front a more finished look.

Even though the LED lens is smaller, its actually brighter than the originals.

Attachments

• Turn signal2.jpg
    Turn signal2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 487
  • Turn signal.jpg
    Turn signal.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 415
I replaced my front turn signals with a unit that has a stainless trim ring to give the front a more finished look.

Even though the LED lens is smaller, its actually brighter than the originals.

Bill - looks good. ya got a manuf. part# or source?

Is it a two wire or three wire light.

I bought them on ebay from Seller: randpcarriages. They were only about $30 with shipping.

It's a 2 wire connection like the originals. A while back I posted a simple circuit that allows you to connect the ISIS 3 wire harness to a 2 wire LED.
  • Maxxima M09400YCL Amber Clear 6 LED 1-1/4" Marker Light item: 290513858473 $20
  • Maxxima Stainless Steel Trim Ring Bezel LED Light Cover item: 291039607005 $5

I bought them on ebay from Seller: randpcarriages. They were only about $30 with shipping.

It's a 2 wire connection like the originals. A while back I posted a simple circuit that allows you to connect the ISIS 3 wire harness to a 2 wire LED.
  • Maxxima M09400YCL Amber Clear 6 LED 1-1/4" Marker Light item: 290513858473 $20
  • Maxxima Stainless Steel Trim Ring Bezel LED Light Cover item: 291039607005 $5

Thanks Bill!

Shark,

I took your recommendation and installed a pair of Hypercoil 700lb 8" coils in the back. They got he rearend height up where is should be, without nearly the amount of preload I had to wind into the old springs.

The ride on the street feels pretty much the same (no harshness).

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been hiking the northern most section of the Appalachian Trail (AT). That section is called the "100 Mile Wilderness" because there is literally nothing around that section. No towns, a few logging roads and almost no cell towers.

There are plenty of snow ponds, loons, moose and moss...Very pretty. Its a strange local where the forest is ghostly quiet, the scenery is filled with a bright green moss carpet, and the nights in the forest are so dark you cannot see your hand in front of your face.

Over the past 20 years I've been section hiking the AT and this was the very last section I had to complete of the 2187 mile journey. The cherry at the end was a 4000ft climb up Mt Katahoin to Baxter Peak. About half of the climb was above the tree line, so the view was spectacular.

Attachments

• 20081013AT Springer Mtn3.jpg
    20081013AT Springer Mtn3.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 342
  • AT finish.jpg
    AT finish.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 300
  • Baxter Peak view.jpg
    Baxter Peak view.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 272
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been hiking the northern most section of the Appalachian Trail (AT). That section is called the "100 Mile Wilderness" because there is literally nothing around that section. No towns, a few logging roads and almost no cell towers.

There are plenty of snow ponds, loons, moose and moss...Very pretty. Its a strange local where the forest is ghostly quiet, the scenery is filled with a bright green moss carpet, and the nights in the forest are so dark you cannot see your hand in front of your face.

Over the past 20 years I've been section hiking the AT and this was the very last section I had to complete of the 2187 mile journey. The cherry at the end was a 4000ft climb up Mt Katahoin to Baxter Peak. About half of the climb was above the tree line, so the view was spectacular.

Wow- an amazing journey! I wish I were in shape for that kind of a walk.

Can't wait to hear more details!

Nice! Getting out there is one of my biggest joys!

I have no real concept of the AT, Katahdin, and so on as I'm strictly West Coast born and raised. Most recently, backpacking various portions of the Eastern Sierra with eyes towards the JMT in a few years before I turn 50. I know you guys get some nasty weather and steep trails yet altitudes are fairly low. We usually have good weather and often 9K to 12K elevation. This past trip I did in early Aug we had hail the first evening, rain the second, clear skies the third, and 9 straight hours of rain the 4th. That area of the Sierra is apparently trying to break the drought!

Back