Da' Grill

I put the finishing touches on the rear grill.

The angle that the rear clam closes makes it a challenging to build a grill around the stationary exhaust tips. If you attach the grill to the rear clam, the exhaust openings in the grill need to be slotted so the grill doesn't get caught as the clam is shut. The easy answer is to attach the grill to the exhaust instead.

I fabricated the grill from expanded aluminum mesh and rolled over the edges to give it more strength. I then fabricated 1/4" aluminum trim around the exhaust tips and attached it to the aluminum mesh with #4 screws. Then make pie cuts in the mesh to allow the exhaust to pass thru. A simple hose clamp attaches the grill pie cuts to the exhaust for a solid mount.

I used the same 1/4" aluminum trim to fabricate the grill surround trim as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4385.JPG
    IMG_4385.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_4386.jpg
    IMG_4386.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 445
  • rear grill 2.jpg
    rear grill 2.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 460
  • rear grill.jpg
    rear grill.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 395
Bill, That's a really clean looking job. I like the silver trim that you have around the border. Everything looks really good, back-up camera looks good were its mounted too. SWEET

I'm re-aligning my suspension after fiddling with the ride height. I noticed that the rear wheel bearing carrier has a horizontal surface on the top. When I put my digital level on that horizontal surface it reads very close to level (0 degrees).

On the front wheel bearing carrier there is a vertical surface that reads very close to 90 degrees.

Question: Is the required 5 degrees of Caster designed into the wheel bearing carrier? In other words, if I adjust the wheel bearing carrier to be level in the rear and 90 in the front, will the caster be 5 degrees?

Attachments

• IMG_4796.JPG
    IMG_4796.JPG
    369.3 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_4797.JPG
    IMG_4797.JPG
    604.5 KB · Views: 332
Bill

the rear should be zero or near to.

The front already has 5 deg built into the offset...anything above 90 deg on the surface you are measuring will be in addition to the 5 deg built in.

So in short...the answer is YES...

Its not quite in coil bind, but its close.

Yes, I have been following the spring rate thread. I'm considering the Hyperco 700lb or 750lb 8" coils that Shark used.
That rear coil spring looks kinda close to being in "coil bind".
Have you seen the postings on changing the spring rates ?

Its not quite in coil bind, but its close.

Yes, I have been following the spring rate thread. I'm considering the Hyperco 700lb or 750lb 8" coils that Shark used.

Bill, after putting on several hundred miles, the 750's will give a stiffer street ride. Definitely go for the longer spring, and if you're not experiencing any tire to body rub, 650 or 700lb may be up your alley. - Sharkey

Shark,

Thanks for the update.

Yup, Since my G50 transaxle is also lighter than your transaxle, the 700lb 8" coil does sound like a better choice.
Bill, after putting on several hundred miles, the 750's will give a stiffer street ride. Definitely go for the longer spring, and if you're not experiencing any tire to body rub, 650 or 700lb may be up your alley. - Sharkey

Guys as i haven't ordered my kit yet i'm a bit confused about the spring rate thing: Is this an option at order time, or is it predetermined and just not right for your builds? Thanks in advance.

Bill thanks for the build thread, i really appreciate all of the information and being able to live vicariously through you until i can pull the trigger.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Rear spring rate will also be effected my how much down force you run. The rear wing setting will have the greatest effect but other things like ride height, front downforce (will add to the overall figure), and any other things like an effective diffuser will also improve the total amount generated.

As more guys start to run these cars on track we will get some good data on spring rates. I fully intend to post everything I learn as I begin to set up my car. I expect to go through several sets of springs before settling on a good compromise for the tracks I run. I was able to get my GT40 close enough with the second set of fronts and the third set of rears.

This is sort of a back and forth thing with the spring rates. Going stiffer at the rear will usually put additional push into the car. Then adding a bit more front rate will balance it out. As corner speed goes up downforce begins to effect balance and compress the springs changing ride height again. Stronger springs to fix that and now the low speed grip begins to get effected.

Anybody figure out what the active suspension systems were all about yet?

Last edited:
David,

From what I understand, Fran buys the shocks and coils from QA1 as an assembly. However, QA1 does not offer a 700lb nor 750lb coil so the 650lb is as close as QA1 comes.
Guys as i haven't ordered my kit yet i'm a bit confused about the spring rate thing: Is this an option at order time, or is it predetermined and just not right for your builds? Thanks in advance.

Bill thanks for the build thread, i really appreciate all of the information and being able to live vicariously through you until i can pull the trigger.

Back