• G50 transaxle
It will be a street car that is:
  • Well finished for show
  • Usable guts for go
  • Reliable, for minimal "Oh Nooos"
  • Comfortable, so I'll drive it Mo'
  • Affordable, so it won't make me Po'
  • It should arrive in time to go under the xmas mistletoe

Awesome! Congrats. I am in the process of figuring out my future SLC right now for street use with the same motor and a Griffin transaxle. Where are you in NC? I am down in Camp Lejeune and would love to see one of these in person when your baby is delivered.

Hi Bill,

I think you made a great choice, and your plan is awesome. :)

It will be a street car that is:
  • Well finished for show
  • Usable guts for go
  • Reliable, for minimal "Oh Nooos"
  • Comfortable, so I'll drive it Mo'
  • Affordable, so it won't make me Po'
  • It should arrive in time to go under the xmas mistletoe
Jeff has made me Po'. But I'm finally finishing that obligation. Then it's off to the interior shop (Chuck Hanna @ "Hot Rod Interiors by Chuck" - Mooresville). Maybe it'll be finished by the time you get your SLC. I'd love to drive it up, and see your new project when you get settled in.

Are you hanging onto the 33' Ford Hot-Rod?

Take Care,

Mike (The Stig).

Mike,

Long time no see!

Sounds like your GTM is nearing completion.

Let me know how your experience is with Hot Rod Interiors in Mooresville. I was considering them for my SLC interior as well. I've see some of their work at local cruise-ins...very nice!

As for my '33, I will hold on to it until I finish the SLC. Actually, I wanted to sell it, but my wife likes it and is reluctant to let it go. Guess I picked the perfect girl.

Last edited:
Build Log

Vidal,

Yes, I plan to post a detailed build log.

My last project was a Factory Five '33 Hot Rod. I did a detailed build log in my Rumbles Build thread on the FFCARS.COM forum. In fact its the 2nd largest build thread in the Hot Rod forum, with 380 posts and over 55,000 viewings.

If you need a diversion, I summarized / compiled the build details into a "Rumbles Build Journal" PDF document that is easier to read and print. Its over 110 pages and over 125 illustrations.

Click here to download the "Rumbles Build Journal.PDF" document
rumbles-build-photo-album-3-544-picture4325-journal-title.jpg

Here are a few PICs of my Hot Rod

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 1,307
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 791
Last edited:
I thought your name looked familiar. :)

Nice job on the '33. I enjoyed your build thread. Looking forward to this one too.

I live just north of Charlotte NC

Mike,

Long time no see!

Sounds like your GTM is nearing completion.

Let me know how your experience is with Hot Rod Interiors in Mooresville. I was considering them for my SLC interior as well. I've see some of their work at local cruise-ins...very nice!

As for my '33, I will hold on to it until I finish the SLC. Actually, I wanted to sell it, but my wife likes it and is reluctant to let it go. Guess I picked the perfect girl.

Bill, I can't get this car finished soon enough...

You're right about the quality of Chuck's work. I'm blown away every time I see a car with one of his interiors. Though I'm affraid it may be a month or so before I'm able and ready to send it to him.

It's getting there.

Take Care,

Mike

Transaxle selection and Rear tire size

I'm already starting to work on my build. I spent a good part of today looking for a transaxle. I also reviewed the posts in this forum about the G50 variations and modifications to guide my purchase.

From your posts, it appears that nearly all the non-turbo 5 speed G50s are geared for the low torque available at low RPMs of the Porsche boxer 6. In contrast, the GM LS3 has gobs of torque down low. That means the 1st gear is so low its almost unusable and top gear (5th) spins the engine at 2500RPM at 65MPH.

One solution is to make all gear ratios higher by swapping the ring & rinion from 3.44 to 3.10. That would put 5th just about where it should be for freeway cruising. However, cost is a problem. The parts are $2800! That blows my mind since American ring & pinions cost just $150. On top of that, the installation is another $1100. So, the cost of a 5 speed G50 plus the 3.10 ring & pinion swap approaches the price of a G50 6 speed.

I just ordered the SLC yesterday and I'm feeling Po' already!

Another thought is to increase the diameter of the rear wheels. This won't completely resolve the problem, but it will make it marginally better. I saw in this forum where some builders are using 325/30/19 tires.
  • Is 325/30/19 the recommended size?
  • What's the tallest tire can I stuff in the rear wheel wells? There is plenty of meat on 325/30/19 tires, so I would be willing to go a little narrower to get some height.
  • Is there a transaxle you can recommend that won't break the bank?
Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Congrats!

Yes...the 325/30-19 is the size tire recommended in the rear. I believe those are as tall as you can fit. I do know some other sizes have been tried without success. But I'm pretty sure they were trying to go wider...not taller.

Wish I could help on the transaxle, but I think they'll all make you feel a bit po' :drunk:

For all of your G50 questions and/or items I would recommend contacting Stan (PORSCHE RACING AND STREET GEARBOXES-GBOX Transmission) and/or Roger (California Motorsports Kit Car section - FFR GTM Ultima GTR GT40 inverted Porsche transmission transaxle).

Mendeola's SDR-5 may be a five-speed option. You will be able to use an LS clutch set and starter and it will bolt up without an adapter kit. Mendeola Transaxles, Inc.

I'm personally running a G50 20 that Stan inverted and added a taller 6th to. If I had to do it over I would have had him re-gear all six. As it is now 1st is really only good for driving onto a trailer or for making a really smooth very low RPM start. However I will be able to cruise at 70mph @ ~2000rpm.

HTHs

P.S.
I don't know of any worthy options that will not make you fill "Po":sad:.

Attachments

• gear_ratio.pdf
    67.8 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:
There is a thread on transaxles somewhere that mentions Griffin. From what I could gather you can get a Griffin 5 speed with gearing of your choice for $8300.

Back