Scalextric or Carrera slot cars??

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Alright all you slot car racers. Christmas is around the corner and I am looking to purchase a slot car set for the kids. I know some of you guys maintain sets. Any opinions as to which is better and what a decent set should run? Kids are 5 & 6 years old. Thanks

I like the Carrera track but the Scalextric cars are faster, especially the Formula 1 cars. I got hooked on Slot Cars again last year after 40 years and have been having a ball. The Carrera track is 1 /24th scale so you can run the bigger cars. I have all my old cars left over from when I was a kid "Cox Chaparral 2D" of course, and love running them around on the track....until the controller gets too hot to hold on to. These new 1/32 scale cars are really amazing. They just run and run as fast as your brain can go. The best deal is to pick up a couple of tracks and hook them together. I found a couple at the local hobby stores for a little over a 100 bucks each. My 4 year old would be happy if I was down stairs with him all day long "playing slotcars" It's been a great deal for me. Buy a Carrera track or 2 and let the Kids use the cars that come with the set. The Carerra cars are pretty bullet proof. Then pick up a trick car for yourself and hide it. The 1/32 modern era slot cars section on E Bay is a very dangerous place. The Slot It cars are probably the best.
Have fun.
Chris
GT Reproductions

I'd go with scalextric cars and track, You can go ape with the scenery stuff while you save up for a 40. This is what I do when Im not racing my dwarf car.

minilemans66.jpg

Gregg,
1:43 scale is great for a tight spaces but Id lose the loop da loops.
With carrerra, the rails are stainless and scalextric rails are plated. My set up is 1/32 scalextric "sport" 4 lanes hardwired to an adjustable power source. You can use all brands of 1/32 cars on this track.
I prefer the scalextric gt40's handling over the FLY brand gt40 However with tuning the FLY gt40's can run just as fast. I agree with Chris, Slot.it cars are best handling. Id run a slot.it slotcar against a monogram chaparral or king cobra. Now for a challenge try a cortina. Happy Holidays
cortina.jpg

I plan on building my own using MDF, a router, and some copper tape. I'll
be able to have multiple lanes, and sharpen the apexes, maybe even
do some crossovers. No magnets here - you'll have to slow down to negotiate
the turns.

I used to have a great link to a site all about these kinds of tracks.

Until then, Toys'R'Us used to carry Artin tracks and was clearing them out. I'll
probably get a basic Scalextric or Carrera track for my son.

Ian

I also have a Scalectric track with enough for 4 lanes and about 40 feet. Used to fit great in the basement of the old house, now I don't have enough room. I recommend the 1/32 scale cars as someone else said. Race once and you are hooked! My fastest car out of the box is a Fly minicooper. I had a GT40 mkII, but it took a header and was never the same. Funny thing is that I would have friends over and they would race using my cars and then the next time they showed up, they brought their own! Great fun.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hi guys... I have a Scalextric myself. I like the size of the Carrera track better, but the down size is you also need more room for a given track config.
I have three Scalextric sets that I put together. I found there is better bang for the buck with just buying the full sets. I have extra power packs, but also have a few "extra" cars for the girls. They each have a boxter that I don't care if the hit the walls with...... The 911s that come with the kits are actually quite fast too.

Essentially, no regrets with getting the Scalextric. There customer service is excellent too. I had a car that burned up the motor the first weekend I had it. Could have had something to do with the magnet strip I tried to use on it to increase my cornering speed..... none the less.... I let the smoke out. They sent me a replacement car and a replacement motor.

I can't speak for Carrera but I have a Scalectix 1:32 set (see my avatar). As someone said already the formula 1 cars really fly. My son is only 3 and can drive them comfortably enough with few crashes. Great Christmas present for the "kids" just as my purchase of a slot car set was a great birthday present for "my son". Yeah right.

Jack

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Eddie, awesome looking set, sorry I forgot to mention it earlier.

Rob/Chris, thanks for the links. I doubt I can find I "vintage" Dukes of Hazard set, but it did bring back memories.

Mark/Jack thanks for the additional info.

Based upon everyone's comments, it appears that the ideal set is Carrera track with scalextric cars. Am I correct? Anyone know anything about the new digital stuff?

As it appears I can purchase everything separate through ebay, I'll await responses from you guys on building a set with Carrera tracks and scalextric cars. Either that, or just send my kids to Mark's house to play with his sets.:)

Gregg,
Thanks, Carrera is a nice choice the track has better rails. Be careful as the carrera tracks are less flexible than scalextric sport track.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Back in the 70's I remember looking at a Carrera and thinking the bodywork was really flimsy and would fall apart.

At that time I was racing Scalextrix and was seriously into the stuff

Now not to be a smart arse but I'd wait till January and you'll be surprised how much stuff will appear on fleabay and boot sales at a fraction of the new price

Ian

Ian, that's exactly what i did... :) there are great deals on village scenery in jan.

The "fence" is plastic gutter guard from lowes secured with hot glue and serves as aesthetic and functional fence.

The signs are just printed from internet and laminated with clear box tape. yeah the carrerra cars are not so detailed as other brands.. I recommend the monogram king cobra with no magnet.

I am in the process of building a track with Carrera track. I have done the work to convert the track to Nincos digital system. A few thoughts: digital slot cars are fun, but not yet universal in OS, so you really need to use Scalextric on Scalextric, Carrera on Carrera, etc. Ninco says you can chip any car, and you can. It just isn't as smooth as analog. My advice old be to get a nice analog set with as much track as you can fit in your area. Running around an 8' loop is fun for about 10 minutes. The danger is in the collecting of cars though. It starts as something you do for "the kids". The next thing you know you are paying top dollar on eBay for a discontinued Fly GT40.

Here are a couple of pics of my work so far. That's the #6 Andretti car in the leadrockonsmile. Since I am working in an unfinished area of the basement, the background isn't the greatest,,,,,yet.

Attachments

• Tire rating 4 (1).jpg
    Tire rating 4 (1).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Tire rating 2 (1).jpg
    Tire rating 2 (1).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,463
  • Tire rating 5 (1).jpg
    Tire rating 5 (1).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,576
Wow!

Quite a nice layout. I like the elevation changes and the tunnel. Great work!

Thanks, Gary. It has taken a long time to just get to this point. I should be able to dedicate a little more time now that the colder weather is here. I'll post a couple of pics when I am further along.

Back