Scratchbuilt 'Kiwi 40' goes racing.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys. Basically OK. Broken neck but not serious. Not allowed to do much though. Am at home so all good. Was very lucky car went in backwards. Speed at time would have been in excess of 150mph. Impact would have been at least 100.

Levels back straight closely adjoins the boundary with a neighbouring farm. There was some irrigation happening and a wind change saw the water spray drifting onto the track right at the turn in/braking area. Totally unexpected and not discernable because of varying appearances of the seal at that point. So no grip. I guess that was just an unlucky break.

Car is a total rebuild from the firewall back. Plus both doors torn off and minor front damage. Preliminary inspection reveals transaxle housings are buggered as is one wheel, one shock, upright, exhaust pipes, muffler and most of the rear fabrication. Probably clutch and maybe flywheel too.

At this point the wheel is the major problem as Phil Smit said at one stage he was not producing any more 14s. I will fax him tomorrow.

We will start work on the car tomorrow night. Strip out the back and fully assess things. Aim is still SFOS. Whether I can get a medical clearance to race by then is another factor though.

Batteries in camera have gone flat but will post more pics shortly

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Russ - It was NOT your time my friend... So glad to hear you have come through this and are looking forward to the rebuild..

Now - About that "not serious" broken neck!!!

WOW, that was more than a Whoopsie. Must have been a hell of a hit. Well, be careful with the neck injury; take no chances. This is all supposed to be fun, so when the unforeseen happens I'm glad you survived in reasonable condition. Disappointing car wise, when things were developing well. At least the car was solid and strong and protected you; chassis design proven, as Keith said. So your wallet will take a hit as well, but the car will be set back up better than ever after some hard work. Good luck with the wheels.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
As promised some pics the car. 2nd to last pic is damage to the roof spider caused by my helmet (and neck). Thank goodness I was obsessed with lightness as thicker fibreglass may well have not broken and caused more serious injuries. As it was, helmet was split.

Well, the A Team of Lim and John couldn't wait to get on with the job tonight. Got it stripped out pretty quickly. Just as well they had me to supervise ;) Last pic is the completed strip out. It appears the front and rear engine plates have held everything in perfect alignment. Only the chassis behind the rear engine plate is deformed also the LH side pod and fuel tank. Will rebuild with some minor improvements for accessability and removal.

Ive got a great bunch of mates and mate-esses. I have been inundated with offers of help with the car, with work and with home. I will be needing to take up many of these offers and can only marvel at the fantastic support of my friends. My sincerest thanks to all.

Attachments

• Levels 14 Nov 017.JPG
    Levels 14 Nov 017.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 489
  • Levels 14 Nov 021.JPG
    Levels 14 Nov 021.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 486
  • Levels 14 Nov 022.JPG
    Levels 14 Nov 022.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 480
  • Levels 14 Nov 023.JPG
    Levels 14 Nov 023.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 477
  • Levels 14 Nov 028.JPG
    Levels 14 Nov 028.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 454
  • Levels 14 Nov 029.JPG
    Levels 14 Nov 029.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 438
  • Levels 14 Nov 031.JPG
    Levels 14 Nov 031.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 459
  • Levels 14 Nov 032.JPG
    Levels 14 Nov 032.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
More photos to show.

Lim

Attachments

• IMG_4044.jpg
    IMG_4044.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_4043.jpg
    IMG_4043.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_4045.jpg
    IMG_4045.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_4050.jpg
    IMG_4050.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 421

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Geeezus ! Its that age where we still think we're 22 -- anyway least we can't say you're not trying and wish you a speedy recovery.:thumbsup:

BTW have a couple of 930 trans (as a core) if you need one ?

Russ, it is indeed great news that you are alright,although any fracture involving the neck or back have to labeled as serious. Cars can be fixed (although I will sometimes stubbornly wish to rather have a few stiches that heal in a week than have to repaint, or refabricate something for months!!)
You have my total respect in that after all the toil and dedication to create a car from scratch( late nights/all nighters/redesigns/testing), that you still have the will to flogg the living hell out of it in battle on track!! I chose not to with my car, but we all have to accept that there are risks whenever we put our machine on track either for lapping days or out and out competition. We have to live with the fact that we may have to shovel our creation back on the trailer at the end of the day and start over......But at least we will be alive and kicking to be able to build another!!( that whole "live to fight again" thing !!)

Best of luck getting her back in shape for the SFOS, but only participate if you are fully up to the task physically(you may have to listen to the DR. this time!!)

Dave D.

Russ, I hope your recovery goes well.
I am guessing the car may be back on the road very quickly and as good or better than when first completed (Lim your skills are first rate).
All the best, Gus.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Glad you hear you're doing well (considering the situation and neck)! Look on the bright side (for me anyway), I get to see more of your great build (or rebuild) photos.

Interestingly, I noticed the rear trailing arm was bent up pretty well. Can you provide some data on those arms. It is nice to see that piece fold up rather than break the mount and spear anybody sitting in the seat. I'm currently using 1 1/4" diameter .125" wall tubing, but considering 1" diameter .095" tubing instead. Would you care to opine on this (aside from the obvious weight reduction)?

Last edited:
Russ,
Glad to hear you are still in one piece. That had to be scarry. I did the same thing back in the sixties in a 57 Chevy. Lucky there weren't any cars coming the other way and there was an empty field on the outside of the curve.
On another note, take it easy with your neck. If you were going to live another 40-50 years, I would tell you that you might have issues with your neck about that time. I know you guys will have it back in no time at all. Don't rush it(your recovery). We don't heal as fast as we use to. I am sure they probably told you 6-8 weeks at the minimum. At our age, it is the BARE minimum.

Bill

Russ
Can only repeat all the wishes of a strong recovery, Many people have taken an intense interest in this project and to say that we are gutted for you is an understatement. I wish you well and keep up the inspiration.
Cheers
Russell

Russ and Lim

Very sorry to see your pride and joy in that state. At least Russ you survived with injuries you can recover from which is, I guess, the most important thing.

I wish you a speedy and full recovery. I know that everyone in this forum will be feeling for you right now and out thoughts are with you.

Cam
Auckland, NZ

Hi Russ,
I haven't been here much lately. Just read this thread.
So sad to see the damage to your car! Especially, when you have been improving so much.
Glad you're ok.
Speedy recovery to both you and the GT.
cheers,
Tim.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Russ

Sorry to hear about your "incident'.

It's amazing how when these things happen and you get out of the car and all you can think about is how much damage and how long it will take to fix it and very little thought goes into the physical injury we have just sustained.

Get well and above all give the injury time to heal.

Dimi

Kevin Box

Supporter
Russ

Bloody hell mate !!!!!!

Have been away in Fiji so only caught up with this today.

Hope all is going well with your recovery
Cars can be be mended but they need people to drive them !!
All the best mate!!

regards

Kevin & Ruth Box:thumbsup:

Back