SL-C powerplant possibility?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

v16engine.jpg

Has anyone considered/built one with a Porsche flat 6? The 996/997 series could bolt right up to a Cayman S trans which would not require flipping. Power would be anywhere from 320-380hp depending on the specific year. Not as much power as the LS series, but would be lighter and have a lower center of gravity.

Colin,
Nice drivetrain if you can make the electronics work..

A mid plate/adapter is still needed as its part of the engine/trans/Chassis mounting system....

Timtt on here has just received his SL-C with a Porsche engine...

Last edited:
:cry:

That is just for new Renesis engines though and has been in the works for quite some time. OEM parts will still be produced and available for many, many years to come for most of the modern rotaries... not to mention the blossoming aftermarket. Full billet aluminum engines are now available with billet aluminum or even billet titanium rotors. Up until very recently, all high-output rotaries were built with OEM parts meant for production cars as there was a lack of support (consumer base) and accessible technology to make it viable. Not very many high-ouput engine platforms with a following have been limited to completely stock parts.

A 20b 3-rotor built with billet parts is poised this season in AU (Pac Performance) to take back the worlds quickest import... yes, even faster than the best 2JZ's.

There is still hope for the 16x and rumors of the return of the RX-7 though only time will tell.

Never say die... well, at least not until the apex seals come flying out ;)

3 more weeks and we'll see who has the last laugh :p

Let me know if you want someone to visit your heads. WCCH is a few small cities from my office. Dying to go over there. One of us should see your engine parts before the turn of the next century.:D

Let me know if you want someone to visit your heads. WCCH is a few small cities from my office. Dying to go over there. One of us should see your engine parts before the turn of the next century.:D

If you want to fly to Texas feel free to pay a visit to HKE to see it, heh.

Troy,

That twin snail v6 sounds pretty enticing. Post a build thread when you start.

Last edited:
Curious, I saw it mentioned once in this thread, but never discussed. Is there any reason the 5.0 v10 from the E60 M5 has not been entertained? They can be had for around 10k, which is slightly expensive, but they make great power, and the sound, the sound!!!! I'm assuming it is an electronics issue, but I'd like to just here others thoughts. Is it feasible to use with the Ricardo?

For entertainment...in an ultima.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfTnuL9G__s

E60 M5 - Muffler Delete Before/After [HD Audio & Video] - YouTube

I guess the easier route is an LS with a 180 degree header. Anyone done that on an SLC yet?

Last edited:
^That sounds amazing.

So, I've been around imports and euro cars for my entire life, but am relatively new to the American V8's. (Funny, I've driven one for the last five years) It seems the answer to all the guys who are not into the american gurble is to run 180 degree headers. Running an LS3 and the 180's seem to be the best bet to make great power at conservative price, and the 180s make it sound exotic, which I feel this car deserves.

Therefore, my question is has anyone done this in an SLC (180 headers)? I know the GT40 guys run them, but I'd like to see them mated to an LS. This is the only LS video I could find....horrible quality, but intoxicating sound, at least to us F1 lovers.

Corvette with 180 Degree Headers - YouTube

^That sounds amazing.

So, I've been around imports and euro cars for my entire life, but am relatively new to the American V8's. (Funny, I've driven one for the last five years) It seems the answer to all the guys who are not into the american gurble is to run 180 degree headers. Running an LS3 and the 180's seem to be the best bet to make great power and a conservative price. My question is has anyone done this in an SLC? I know the GT40 guys run them, but I'd like to see them mated to an LS. This is the only LS video I could find....horrible quality.

Corvette with 180 Degree Headers - YouTube

Too hard to make it worth while imho in the space constaints

In any event, American V8 > *

1965 Shelby Cobra Dyno 408w - YouTube

^Is there not sufficient space period, or is it just very tight, therefore making it a headache? Funny, today was the first day I heard of 180's and they sound pretty righteous.

^Nice. I'll look into his build. Thanks for the information. My head is turning thinking of a Lemans race with 180 headers. :)

Back