SL-C powerplant possibility?

Eric,

The C6 weighs 1421kg and the SL-C @1000kg. So the vette is actually about 42% heavier. So, the SL-C will feel even "livelier" I would guess.

With quoted figures of lateral force at 1.8G's and acceleration at 1.2 G's with a mild LS7/Ricardo gearbox and Hooser tires, "lively" is an understatement. The SL-C's standard Wilwood brake package will stop it too! If thats not good enough for you there is always the HUGE optional Brembo package. Me thinks I'll be very pleased with my 430HP on the STREET SL-C.

Eric,

The C6 weighs 1421kg and the SL-C @1000kg. So the vette is actually about 42% heavier. So, the SL-C will feel even "livelier" I would guess.

Yeah, I was just giving a little wiggle room. Breathless' SLC is listed on their site as 2350lbs, so with the addition of a couple small frame turbo, and tiny intercoolers, the total could jump to ~2500lbs. Still not bad at all. Figure a conservative estimate would be 25% lighter with a much more traction friendly weight bias? Give me AC and a proper bespoked interior and This may be the perfect car.

Yeah, I was just giving a little wiggle room. Breathless' SLC is listed on their site as 2350lbs, so with the addition of a couple small frame turbo, and tiny intercoolers, the total could jump to ~2500lbs. Still not bad at all. Figure a conservative estimate would be 25% lighter with a much more traction friendly weight bias? Give me AC and a proper bespoked interior and This may be the perfect car.

Aircon & bespoke interior are already available.

Eric,

Now you'll probably add "power windows" to your reasons for not ordering the SL-C. :thumbsup:

Hell I can live without that. If I'm honest, I'd really like to order an SLC. But I'm not keen to build it, however. My current project car has taken about three years and I'm burnt on turning wrenches. Plus I'm involved in a business deal that has reserved every bit of free cash for a little while. If I was to entertain an SLC, it would be the Breathless SLC with a short list of changes.

I was asking about the tranny setup because I've heard that the Wankel delivers its torque at higher RPMs than a 4-stroke. I was curious how you were planning to address that issue and the additional issue of the Wankel's ability to deliver HP at very high revs. I didn't know that a G50 had gears suitable for the Wankel application, and that's good to hear.
I'll find out in a few weeks when my friend is done breaking in his ~700 hp 3-rotor '74 911. Widebody, and loaded with modern 911 goodies...all business.

Fwiw, three rotors have moderatley flat torque curve. They are also a 4-stroke engine. I've posted this before but here is a dyno graph of a moderately built 3 rotor on pump gas.

attachment.php

The hard part - and I don't mean to minimize this - is that finding pounds to save very quickly becomes hard and expensive, i.e. really expensive.
"Adding" lightness to cars "adds" lightness to your wallet. Three aluminum side housings from racing beat (saving 45 lbs.) is about $4500-$5500 depending on desired specs.

Finally, Dave I believe your quantity and quality of your research deserves a reward, and I've taken it on myself to award you this ultimate adornment of the rotary minded:
I'll wear it with pride every time I log onto this site :dunce:

Frankly, I don't know how much more than 500hp can be reasonably utilized in a 2000 - 2200 lb car.
4 to 1 power to weight ratios 500hp/2000lbs in a road race car is about all most people can handle. I don't want to offend but 2 to 1... or less???? get real.
That is the nice thing about turbocharged cars. Besides using your right foot, you can control the boost to limit or maximize your power very easy to meet specific needs/goals. Regardless of what engine I chose, it would have been turbocharged. Hooked on boost :drunk:

There's a good many guys running 3:1 on the street, and figure an SLC loaded with goodies would weigh in at ~2500lbs at least.
My goal is 3:1 (2400-2500 lbs / 800-850 hp) on pump gas with a/c, stereo, sound deadening and full interior. If that proves to be too much power, as said before, I'll just lower the boost (i.e. power) with the push of a button

Maybe a bit of traction control, as well. :)
Those work very well but do have their limitations. The big hp Supra guys know this and it's because the power curve (as shown above i EFN's post) make so much power so fast that the TC is overwhelmed. They may have been improved as my info/experience with them is about 3-4 years old. I do know quite a few RX-7 owners who use(d) them with great success.

There are also standalone ecu's with built in TC but I doubt any of the LS guys would need it :tongue3:

I would imagine that cooling a high hp rotary motor would be a challenge in an SLC (or any mid-engine car) - rotary motors tend to put out a LOT of heat (the corresponding component to high specific output). For anything more than an occasional 1/4 blast you'd need a ton of cooling capacity - multiple large radiators, fans, oil cooling, etc.

The Mercedes V-12 biturbo may be in the hp range you're looking for - about 650hp with stock engine mgmt and exhaust. The non-turbo Mercedes V-12 only puts out about 400hp so it's not a lot of hp for the weight. The V-12 biturbo engine is pretty expensive to acquire second-hand - used low mileage ones go for between $10K and $20K. That's obviously a lot more than the Chevy LS motor.

There's a fella on the forum based in Australia who has bolted a turbo to a big block Ford I believe and has something like 700rwhp - he may have a moderate cost engine solution that works for the hp range you're targeting.

Frankly, anything more than about 500hp in a 2,300lb car seems pretty excessive if it's not exclusively a competitive class-driven track machine - very few non-professional drivers can put that kind of power to the ground properly and safely IMHO. Lots of guys end up wrapped around a tree after stepping on the 500hp+ loud pedal. You don't hear a lot of those stories because folks are too embarassed to admit they overcooked it - wrecked exotics (www.wreckedexotics.com) is a pretty good testament to amateur driving skills in a high hp car.

So, enjoy your rwhp safely! No need to die trying to beat the other guy's 1/4 record on the street!

The Mercedes V-12 biturbo may be in the hp range you're looking for - about 650hp with stock engine mgmt and exhaust. The non-turbo Mercedes V-12 only puts out about 400hp so it's not a lot of hp for the weight. The V-12 biturbo engine is pretty expensive to acquire second-hand - used low mileage ones go for between $10K and $20K. That's obviously a lot more than the Chevy LS motor.

A Mercedes V12 runs about $2000 bucks or so for a good longblock core. That's the one upside the the fuel crisis :)

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
Eric,

where did you get the 1000kg from? my LS3/g50 without interior/diffuser/wing was weighed at just over 1150kg.

thought the ricardo is around 50kg heavier than G50 also?

Hi Craig,

I just pulled it from the specs on the RCR website just as I did with the vette specs. So, similar to what Eric explained..."a little wiggle room" on the weights of course.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Ok,
I'm reading a lot of stuff about the unbelievably high powered Supra's. In Austin, SW and LOTS of other big money players have been running around with 800-1,500hp cars. Twin Turbo Z06's, Big Turbo Supra's, Big turbo RX7's, Big Turbo Mustangs with 400+ cubic inch motors. Saturday night in Austin was lots of fun. There was also the big tire, nitrous fed, huge cube, drag cars out too. They'd trailer them in, park the trailers down the street a little, and drive those earth trembling monsters into the parking lot.

God I miss that...

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Hell, I forgot the whole reason for my post...

The reason was, these cars aren't that hard to build. They were litterally all over Austin. You need a little coin to make it happen, but it's very possible.

A Mercedes V12 runs about $2000 bucks or so for a good longblock core. That's the one upside the the fuel crisis :)

Hi Eric, I guess I misunderstood - I assumed you were looking for a complete engine (including the turbos for example) in order to be able to make the power you're suggesting here.

Hi Eric, I guess I misunderstood - I assumed you were looking for a complete engine (including the turbos for example) in order to be able to make the power you're suggesting here.

No biggie, the stock turbo would have the scrapped anyways since they'd be automatically suspect. Plus there are too many advances in blade design in recent years. Either way it doesn't look as if it'll fit. Buuuuuuuuuut, the upshot is that one of those hot shot Nelson 427TT's will fit just fine. They're approaching F1 levels of power/weight ratio's. The Ultima GTR they built looks to be impressive.

Eric

Would a Transaxle and motor from a NSX with supercharger or turbo set up fit, the motor is a 3.3 v-6 that is sideways mounted tot ransaxle much like a fwd set-up but is already in a mid engine set up.I can get a hold of a good nsx parts car with 6 speed transaxle and stroker motor with turbo's for under $10,000

these motors properly built can range from 300hp stock to over 800hp at 14.5 psi. Plus being smaller and compact plus lighter than most v-8 setups of same hp ratings.

So can I just ask, as it stands the V-12 Mercedes motor is too long for the engine bay as it is? The BMW v12 is 29.25 inches long flywheel to front of waterpump so I think the Mercedes wouldn't be much different while the lstech website says the LS3 is 27.5 inches long. Be a nightmare fitting and sorting the V-12 but I'm curious how much room there is in front of the LS3 in the SL-C

Back