SL-C powerplant possibility?

I have a feeling a neat little V12 with turbos may be on the cards pretty soon....not an SL-C but another RCR offering

Last edited:
OK...not such a small V12 ...a 6.0L V12 .....engine does come with turbos as an option in its OEM home but for now its going to be the NA version..at least for a while anyhow...:helmet:

Nein....but you are correct it is German

Originally we were going to use a Japanese V12 but decided against it...great engine but not very well supported in the aftermarket.

Last edited:
12 cylinders are over-rated .... 600cid RHS is where it's at :greedy: ... c'monnnn, you know you want to do it to one up me! :D

Nein....but you are correct it is German

Originally we were going to use a Japanese V12 but decided against it...great engine but not very well supported in the aftermarket.

You're probably talking about Toyota 5L 1GZ-FE V12 in which case, yes, support for that engine is bare minimal.

There are some Supra + Soarer/SC people that have been drooling about doing swaps with that engine. Top Secret are the only one's I know of to successfully utilize it (and twin turbocharge if for 1000HP might I add). Funny how a motor meant for a smooth luxury saloon can be sought after by the opposite side of the car fence.

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
Eric,

To answer your question, yes a Merc V12 will fit. Fran is building me a Porsche 962 platform based of the SLC chassis. A toyota Century spliced 12 will fit as well. For now I am staying NA, but will no doubt go with twin turbos.. That motor from the Merc factory was good for 612 hp, but I'm sure Merc was conservative in their boost numbers, Nirvana Motorsports claims it's good for 1000+. The latest Merc 6.3 AMG motor has been reliably tested to those kind of power numbers on stock crank, internals etc.

Eric,

To answer your question, yes a Merc V12 will fit. Fran is building me a Porsche 962 platform based of the SLC chassis. A toyota Century spliced 12 will fit as well. For now I am staying NA, but will no doubt go with twin turbos.. That motor from the Merc factory was good for 612 hp, but I'm sure Merc was conservative in their boost numbers, Nirvana Motorsports claims it's good for 1000+. The latest Merc 6.3 AMG motor has been reliably tested to those kind of power numbers on stock crank, internals etc.

Qustion of the day:
Will your end product sound like a Zonda?
:thumbsup:

Hey Fran...

How well do you think a Chrysler neo-Hemi would fit in the SLC? I have a strong hankering to stuff their new aluminum block and CNC ported 6.1L heads in some mid-engine rig...complemented by one of DeLynn's fancy new boxes.

What say you? Make a go of it? ;)

Already have an adapter plate done to mount a hemi in the SL-C as we were at one time talking with Chrysler about doing a new "hemi under glass" and it was an SL-C with the new Hemi....project was a go , and then the economy tanked and everything was put on hold...

No need for an adaptor with the new box though...even better

All that 7-speed goodness and a rear-mounted clutch to boot! Just the trickness to get the crowd slathering...then watch the puddle build as they wet themselves from the performance ;)

Toyota's 2JZ-GTE would be an interesting fit.

3.0L
iron block
straight 6
turbo

Sure would sound exotic...
Been discussed and may be too long but given the money and determination, anything could be made to fit. Of course you'd have a car with a monstrous unmanageable powerband in anyhting other than dr(f)ag racing.

Been discussed and may be too long but given the money and determination, anything could be made to fit. Of course you'd have a car with a monstrous unmanageable powerband in anyhting other than dr(f)ag racing.

Wouldn't a moderately sized turbo and good cam selection help alleviate a peaky powerband in that motor?
Hey, there's always street racing/highway pulls :drunk:

Wouldn't a moderately sized turbo and good cam selection help alleviate a peaky powerband in that motor?
Hey, there's always street racing/highway pulls :drunk:

The Supra 6 is a ridiculously tall, long and heavy motor...somewhere between a Cummins I6 and an AMC I6.

Stock cams and upgrades turbos would be more than adequate to fill out the powerband...as with all things, it's a compromise. Go too small and you run out of breath on the top end. Go too big and your bottom end falls out. Extrude Hone the stock housings and upgrade the compressor wheel and you should be about where you wanna be with that motor.

Unless of course you want an all-out road warrior, in which case you are going to need to talk to some turbo gurus like Nelson to build you a setup with a stageable configuration...on-demand boost and timing retard for mild around-town driving and flick a switch for racing.

Speaking of German 12 cyclinders what about the VW/audi/bentley etc. W12 engines? Will they fit in the SLC or any other RCR chassis? I've heard its one of the more compact 12 cyl engines out there, at least as far as length.

If we are talking V-12's, how about one of these? :thumbsup:

Attachments

• falconer v-12.jpg
    falconer v-12.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 377
Back