SLC 001 Build

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I was fiddling around with the wing position and the pivot points. It has been a goal to make the tail and the wing move in one motion. Jack had a good idea in that the assy should pivot at the base so I went there first, I like the idea that the assy move rearward as it opens offering nice access to the engine bay. Unfortunately the clip moves back rather quick on initial movement and will fowl the tops of my rads, so I will need to move the pivot point up the assy more to prevent that. The wing is really high in these shots but it's easy to make the mock up shorter...kind of hard to raise it. The assy will be all of a trellis design not solid as shown in this mock up work, the clip will need to be slotted and reinforced to allow the canards to go through uninterrupted.

Still looking for wing height to rear view mirror information. What is the best wing height on an SLC to allow best rear vision. At this height one would look under the wing. Cam had given some feedback. Anyone else have real world recommendations?

Thanks

Rob - I don't know for sure but I think you're onto something with the plywood supports - very green! Just giving you crap - you never cease to amaze with your innovation and attention to detail - keep up the good work!

Dave L

For mirrors, I'd think the best thing is to mock up a position and try it from where you are sitting. I'm sure you've seen this photo of craigs mirror position. I tried a mockup of this and wish I chose it, viewing over the tail.
I've heard Fran is working on similar high mount mirrors. I had to work with a fixed tail and i opted to modify the stock mirrors. I'm 5'11" so i get a strip of daylight in between the tail and rear clip. The best approach, just floor the SLC, being careful not to brake the rear end lose on the highway. Then continue at a rate that wouldn't allow a car to be in a lane next to you!:drunk:

Attachments

• mirror craig.jpg
    mirror craig.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 730

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mesa,

Thanks for showing Francis & I your wonderful project. You have done some very nice work, I very much like the mods you have added. Front trunk, hip mounted radiators and wider rear tires. Very nice, thanks again.

For mirrors, I'd think the best thing is to mock up a position and try it from where you are sitting. I'm sure you've seen this photo of craigs mirror position. I tried a mockup of this and wish I chose it, viewing over the tail.
I've heard Fran is working on similar high mount mirrors. I had to work with a fixed tail and i opted to modify the stock mirrors. I'm 5'11" so i get a strip of daylight in between the tail and rear clip. The best approach, just floor the SLC, being careful not to brake the rear end lose on the highway. Then continue at a rate that wouldn't allow a car to be in a lane next to you!:drunk:

Sorry, those mirrors look god-aweful in that picture.

I'm not too sure what I'll be doing - I don't want to stab them into the door (makes it harder to polish the area), and I don't want it looking like a bug (a-la Craig's).

Perhaps no mirrors? I don't have any in my cobra and it's doable, but then again if you turn around you have a clear view of the road. Hmmm.

One word CAMERA! Put a nice screen in the inside and have all of the camera's link to it. Than you could get a 360 view without ever turning your head. Could also double as a track day video device. :thumbsup: Thats if you don't have laws mandating mirrors.

One word CAMERA! Put a nice screen in the inside and have all of the camera's link to it. Than you could get a 360 view without ever turning your head. Could also double as a track day video device. :thumbsup: Thats if you don't have laws mandating mirrors.

I agree. There are nice small screens. I did not even think of it with the GT40 - it would look just a little out of place - but in your car it will look fine.

The mirrors we installed actually work pretty well. The car will be in the garage next week, I'll take some pictures.

Did you ever figure out your door issue Rob?

I just had it happen to me - body hasn't been taken off (or anything installed/uninstalled) in a while, but 2 days ago i noticed that my driver door was having just a bit more difficulty engaging the second portion of the latching mechanism (it needed more of a push in). As far as i could tell my striker hadn't moved; I ended up loosening my striker and shifted it over just a teeeeeny tiiiiny bit and everything's good once again.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Guys - These (all) Fiberglass cars tend to move around on their own over many years.. If your strickers / latches are not firmly anchored into something metal that is connected to the chassis in some way - I would not be surprised that this would be a regular adjustment that needs to be made..
Even my old Corvette (1969) had fitment issues of the fiberglass when we closed up the gaps to 1/8".. It would depend upon the temperature more than anything as some panels would shrink/grow more than others.. The hood was the worst...

For whatever it's worth to you...

J,
We were just talking about the mirror issue in another thread. Take a look at my post there, #51, #53, &#57. I think the cameras on the SLC would actually complement the Isis dash. The monitors are varioous sizes from 3.5 to 10" and could be mounted like a mirror(one is shaped just like one), or could be panel moounted to look like the navigation systems in todays cars. There are several manufacturers and sellers of systems, most for the RV family. Just Bing rear view mirrors.
The cameras are from the bumper style to hidden bolt size units to big square boxes. The critical thing is the viewing angle. For the most realistic view and juding distance the 90 and maybe the 120 degree would work. Anything larger would give too much of a fish eye view. Check out the above post here: http://http://www.gt40s.com/forum/g...ac-trim/33468-gullwing-door-conversion-3.html

Bill

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
J,
We were just talking about the mirror issue in another thread.
Bill -- thanks for restarting this here....

About the mirror glass, what are your plans for that? Half-silvered? And where do you get it? Regular old glass shop?

I was also thinking that with a small enough camera close to the glass you could pick a spot near one edge of the mirror and simply scrape off the silvering over an area just large enoughg for the camera to see through; that way no loss of light either to the camera or to you when looking at the mirror.

Alan,
I am struggling with those very questions as we speak. The side mirrors are from an RX7 I think. It has been a long time since I got them. The problem I have is that the attachment of the mirror to the rest of the assembly is the pieces that allow it to be adjusted. I want that to stay intact and attach the camera to that. What I may have to do, is sacrifice the adjustment and rely on the camera mounting to get the view I want.
The see through glass is nothing unusual at all and should be obtainable at most mirror shops. I have considered the idea of scraping enough of the coating off to allow the camera some light. The problem comes with night vision. Most of the cameras have infrared lights surrounding the lens which means the opening has to be larger. If I remember correctly, the see through mirrors are like looking through dark glasses and I don't know how that will affect the lens. I will inquire with some of the manufacturers an see what they ave to say.
As far as the SLC is concerned, if you are tracking these cars,it will be daytime except for the endurance runs. The small cameras will work anywhere. They are small enough to put anywhere you want. I would want it mounted higher than the usual locations of the license plate holders etc. Some of the cameras are as small as a bolt head, so your imagination is wide open as to where you want to put it. Just try and keep the view from being obstructed. If you just want to see who is behind you then the 120 will work fine mounted in the center of the car up high, but if you are trying to judge where they are I wouldn't go bigger than the 90s. That being said, you would still need the side mirrors. So you would have to deal with that. You could still put the cameras there too. Also for you guys racing you have to deal with the rules committees on their use. Everything I came across said mirrors, so unless you go stealth, they won't allow it. They might let you use them as ancillary devices, such as centrally mounting one, but they won't let them be the sole devices.

Bill

Many thanks to Mesa for letting me drool on his car for a couple of hours the other night while I was in town on business. The craftsmanship is impressive and I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product. Those have to be the widest tires I have ever seen!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan,
The problem comes with night vision. Most of the cameras have infrared lights surrounding the lens which means the opening has to be larger. .

I would think you don't care about the infrared lights because the range of the IR is not going to affect side mirrior usage. AFAIK the infrared is good only for a few feet, like in a backup camera.

FWIW The mirrors I'm using for now are these surprisingly nice looking black plastic things you can get on Amazon for $20/pair.

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002A596S/ref=oss_product)

At that price I'm already to do major surgery to incorporate a camera.

Alan,
The only thing you have to worry about is the lenght of the mirror. Those you are looking at will probably do OK. The nice thing about the RX ones is that there is a platform that the camera can be mounted to. It supported the motor. The cameras also have to be aimed a little outward in order to eliminate a blind spot beside the car unless you go with the 120 degree camera. I have just finished altering my mirrors so they sit flat on the widow. Had to reverse the bottom mounting piece so they would lie flat and not droope down. I will post some pics later today. Am on call at the hospital so I am trapped for a few hours.

Bill

One more post about the camera, sorry to hijack the thread. I put the Pyle camera/ monitor in and it is pretty good. I wired it on all the time and it sorta doubels as a rear view mirror. but back up camera were designed to look 20 to 40 ft behingd you. the image gets blurry 50 to 100ft, but better than nada. I got the 380x60 TV lines which ain't great resolutoin. Pyle now has 420 lines but I'd bet there are XVGA cameras out there. OH, in the pic is my superbowl prediction. Green Bay +7, but you can barely read it.

Attachments

• camera2.jpg
    camera2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 420
Thanks John,
It was good fun having you over for dinner. I look forward to you putting your Ferrari in something too. Now that Fran is working on that 360 engine install you will be that much farther along when it's your turn.

On the mirror front - thanks everyone for the thoughts, but where is the main mirror / camera thread? Perhaps redirecting the posts to that section would make it more accessible to everyone? Or maybe start an SLC based mirror thread?

Mesa,
There is no central mirror thread. It is strewn about in several threads. Heinrich has some of it in his thread on the gull wing setup and I have posted several different threads on rear view cameras. Probably would be a good idea if we started one though. I will start one so all can get in on this. I'll try to pull in some of the other pertinent threads and sources as we go along. I have been working on this idea for quite a while.

Bill

Back