SouthernGT No8

Martin,
you could cause youself more trouble than it's worth by reversing the carb. If you look at your intake manifold the carb isn't centered, it's biased towards the rear so the primaries are roughly in the center. If you turn the carb 'round the primaries and in particular, the idle ports and transition slots sit directly over 3 and 7 ports and favour 4 and 8. You might just about get away with it on WOT but the idle and transition get really screwed up.
Somewhere in the UK there's an "expert " who rebuilds Sunbeam Tigers and has this wizard wheeze of turning the carb 'round so the linkage is on the right hand side to match the car. They are awfull on idle etc. We have "re-engineered" several of his gems.
If you want to bring the throttle cable in from the front why not add an extension to the throttle arm and hook it up below the spindle instead of above.
Mike

Martin,
Probably the simplest idea is Chuck's. If you want the carb to remain in it's place, you could build a bell crank in the form of a Z link that would reverse the action of the throttle. Thereby moving the cable to the front of the engine. Here is one I used on my trans to reverse the throw of the shifter to the tail shaft movement.
P1010154-1.jpg

You can drill multiple holes on both sides of its center bolt and change the ratio of the pedal movement to the carb connector movement. That way you could tailor the distance your pedal moves to get to WOT. It can make your pedal softer or harder with the selection of the holes.

Bill

Hi

Mike
Thanks for the heads up. I tried running the cable forward on my last car without turning the carb round, it worked but wasn't quite right.

Bill
Thanks for the info, I am busy at present but will put my thinking cap on soon.

Chuck
The carb is an Holley 650HP and the manifold is a Edelbrock Airgap manifold.

Martin

Hi Martin

I ´ve run the cable the same direction you did, but just at a longer and wider radius, so it clears the exhaust pretty good and has no tight radius´s.
PICT4320.jpg

PICT4318.jpg

PICT4322.jpg

TOM

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Martin

I have a holley with my cable running up from the front of the engine. Didn't turn the carb around but just connected it to the levers to work from the front not the rear. Wasn't tricky to do so no reason why shouldn't be able to do the same. I have a 4mm rose joint on the end of the throttle cable if that gives you any help. I have exactly the same carb and inlet manifold as you too. I used 2 springs on the return to meet MSA regs.

Will this car be on track at Donnington? With megaphones?

Chuck

Supporter
Martin:

Looks like several good options have been placed on the table for your consideration. Just to close the loop on my suggestion to turn the carb around 180 degrees here is a follow up.

We both are using an Edelbrock air gap intake manifold. I am using a similar carb. So functionally we are in the same ball park.

A nine foot long stainless braid covered Lokar cable was used. It works just fine in this application. The cable was held to the front of the engine on the AC bracket, although any point that keeps it away from the pulleys would be fine.

Two return springs are used to comply with track regulations. The stainless cable / spring bracket comes from Holley (If my memory serves me correctly).

There is an angled spacer under the carb that keeps the carb level. It is visible in the second picture of the opposite side. Without the spacer the reversion plate on top of the air cleaner would not be parrallel to the clip.

I have had no problems with performance whatsoever. It idles fine, accellerates fine, does exactly what a SB Ford is supposed to do. Actually it runs like a scalded cat and is a hoot to drive.

There are obviously different solutions to the problem. Good luck.

Attachments

• CarbLinkage1.JPG
    CarbLinkage1.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 520
  • CarbSpacer1.JPG
    CarbSpacer1.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 530
  • ReversionPlate2.JPG
    ReversionPlate2.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 564
Hi

Eglitom
This seems to be the simplest answer so will have a good look at my car when I get back of holiday.

Malcolm
Do you mean the club track day at Donnington? If so what is the noise limit?
May put on my megaphones if at all possible.

Chuck
Looks like a nice neat job and also up for consideration. I need to do some jobs before the car goes back on the road post winter salting so when I get home I will get stuck in.

Regards Martin

Chuck

Supporter
Why do you need a reversion plate with a Holley ?

Mike

Don't need it at all. It is solely for looks. Wanted the original style Weber look, but the convenience of a Holley.

Next project is to build a weber-like heat shield, after which the decpetion will be complete!

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Martin

Yes I meant the club day on the 25th April, easter monday I think. I have been told I can run my mega phones, not as nice as yours but should be loud enough! I suspect that will be the only day I ever run them, but they look great on the shelf. I plan to take my normal exhaust as well for when my ears give up. This picture was taken during manufacture of them and so they are a bit shorter now!

Attachments

• IMG_8519.JPG
    IMG_8519.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 654
Martin,

Looking very nice as usual.

I am excited as well, can't wait to see the finished article, even you stole my colour, :( but I won't mention that :)

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
Don't worry Nick - you can do yours in Strathavan livery - you wouldn't want snot green anyway!!!

Cheers
Mike

PS Linden Green was my idea anyway......

Don't worry Nick - you can do yours in Strathavan livery - you wouldn't want snot green anyway!!!

Cheers
Mike

PS Linden Green was my idea anyway......

Mike,

It's a thought I like, good job only you and I know about it.

P.S. Is your plan to get everyone you know to paint their cars the colours you like ;)

Nearly done. Should be home next week.

Attachments

• P1030307.jpg
    P1030307.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 482
  • P1030319.jpg
    P1030319.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 465
  • P1030321.jpg
    P1030321.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 468
  • P1030323.jpg