SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

I am running the stock wheel sizes, not 17" or 18". Therefore, I don't have the stiffness of the low profile tires to deal with. In the billet upper mount, I also have Energy Suspension bushings.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Hydraulic Lift System SPF GT40 Explanation

Robert,

By your description of the lift system sounds like you have custom length dampers and coils (sorry, have not read whole post if outlined earlier) that allow full compression stroke to travel without bottoming or coil bind, is that the case?

Tim

Tim,

The dampers and coils are standard and original. Normally, and without a lift system, the bottom of the shocks mount to the lower control arm, and there is an adjustment at the bottom of the spring to adjust ride height elevation +/-.

The hydraulic lifting/lowering cylinders are only 4" in height. The coil has enough built in adjustment to it that it will permit fitting the cylinder between the bottom of the coil and the bottom of the shock. The GT40 can have a ride height of 3 3/4" as I do, or 4 1/2" as some others do - or, they can be higher or lower that those settings, even after the lift cylinders are installed.

After cylinders are installed, and they are not activated (They are in ride height mode [low]), one adjusts for the desired normal ride height. At normal ride height, the camber of each wheel is normal and properly aligned.

If you activate the lifts, the cylinders will push upward upon the bottom of the springs, and thereby will raise the body and frame nearly 2". However, the wheel camber on all four wheels will go slightly out of alignment while in the up (raised) position. It is okay to drive at slower speeds and for short periods in the up position. Normally, however, one drives in the downward position.

That being said, there is absolutely no difference in bottoming out with or without the system - which I have never done while having the lift system.

The coils do not bind, they just squeeze a little bit together as the body and frame rise. During downward position, they do the opposite and expand between individual coils. No bottoming out, no custom shocks or coils, and the car acts and rides completely normal just as one would without being fitted with the lift system.

I plan to take close-up HD video of it in both modes, and will post it.

The hydraulic fluid reservoir is half the size of a cigar box, but twice as high as one - basically, very small.

Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Reinforcing The Shock Tower Bridge SPF GT40

It looks like that upper cross member was not up to the power. There appears to be a lot of stress on that component. I did not encounter the same thing but in anticipation of that happening, I had a billet aluminum upper cross member machined and the shock mounting plates were done in 5/16" steel plate that are notched into the sides of the billet cross member. Under the ZF transaxle, a flat bar was welded to the clam shell support and an Energy Suspension mount was used to support the transaxle. Lastly, several gussets were welded to the clam shell support to further reinforce the entire structure. If anything, the transaxle will break before the supports.

Great idea. Sounds like you took prudent steps to avoid structural failure in the danger zone!

Job well done, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
I just brought an old thread to the top in regard to this problem in the Transaxle forum. Looks like some of the lessons from the past did not get carried forward to present day.

Can you post a link to the thread and posts you have mentioned are pertinent?

Thanks for the info.

Robert

Id like to credit this pic, but cannot remember where its from, might be Jimmy Macs thread. Shows the bell housing lug in relation to the chassis collar/ lower w/bone.

Attachments

• Transaxle%20To%20Collar%20Fit.jpg
    Transaxle%20To%20Collar%20Fit.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 340

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Re: SPF p2285 8-stack

Carman, Here's a link to a photo and information on a tuning gauge for an 8-stack set-up. Syncronizer

Here's a link to a supplier, and I think the ones made in Germany are best.
TUNING AIDS

Note: The gauge is not suitable for measuring the velocity of a golf ball being sucked through a garden hose.

Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Two types of 8-stack injection designs p2285

Carman,

I thought more about your desire to make the correct choice between two 8-stack set-ups from the Eight-Stack company. During my build, I was constantly overwhelmed having to make choices, so I do understand such circumstances and anxiety they cause.

Two Types of EFI by Eight-Stack Company:

The Eight-Stack Weber look-alike design does have the eight separate injectors installed to spray on the top side of the throttle plate, AKA butterfly valve.

The other Eight-Stack Model offered is a non-Weber look alike model that features the injectors mounted below the throttle plate/butterfly valve.

My Thoughts:

I did purchase the Weber Look-alike Eight-Stack EFI system three years ago. It has been trouble free, has never required repairs, and does support H.P. ratings way above 750. If it does "Pool", which is highly doubtful, the so called "pooling" has not resulted in any perceivable problems and has not compromised the operation of the engine either at idle, WOT, or anywhere inbetween.

While at low RPMs, more of the injector spray is deflected off from the throttle plate/butterfly valve, the angle of deflection changes greatly as the RPMs increase. At WOT, the deflection is at or near 90-degrees, which would result in more even disbursement of fuel.

If you plan to race the vehicle and every micro second of increased H.P. and speed is a key desire, maybe then, there is a very slight difference between the two designs. While that set of circumstances may be a factor - still, there are no noticeable perceivable problems with the injectors above the throttle plate.

I also believe that if it were possible, and it is with direct injection, to spray a mist of tiny fuel droplets into the combustion chamber, it would increase H.P. due to a hotter more even burn. However, neither of the two above systems are direct injection. That being said, it remains a fact that in both of the above systems, when the injectors spray, much of the fine atomized fuel finds it way to the inside surfaces of the intake manifolds chambers before reaching the combustion chamber. Therefore, the fuel that comes into contact with and slides off from those surfaces are no longer atomized. That circumstance applies to both of the above systems, even the system that sprays below the throttle plate. That tends to lessen the differences and relating impact, if there is any, between the two types of fuel delivery.

Decision Tree:

The Weber look-alike system captures and presents the engine and vehicle as more ERA correct, and thus is more appealing to many. It does cost slightly more than the non-Weber look-alike system thought.

I suspect the Weber look-alike system would ultimately result in more curb appeal and related higher value when you decide to sell your vehicle.

Good luck with your build. :thumbsup:

Robert

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Carman:

I've had no problems with my Eight Stack set-up. Most people who see the system for the first time assume they are Webers.

Dave

Attachments

• Eight Stack.jpg
    Eight Stack.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 392

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You were stalking one of his daughters admit it!

Did you remove the rear glass again?

Was that a tune from Convoy?

I thought you were getting a divorce from your GT40?

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Reply Back Window Glass|John Force

Did you remove the rear glass again?

My Back Window is out most often. It's an individual thing. The engine runs cooler, the fiberglass engine cover is cooler, the dancing solid roller cam valve train sounds better, and people can see the intake and chrome old school air cleaners without the glare or reflection of the sun hiding or distorting the intake. The fiberglass panel around the engine is easier to clean too. It's also a hit at car shows.

It may appear unfinished or somehow out of place to purists, and I understand that perspective; everyone has their own way of enjoying their cars. My back window glass is flawless, and on rare occasions I do install it.

John Force is a honorable, successful business man, race car builder/driver, family man, and very generous. Yes, his daughters and wife are stunning!

For nearly a decade during recent years, he funded the best, very large car shows within Savi ranch. There were bands and great food for all. The entry price: one toy for a needy child. The California Highway Patrol was there in great force since they would be charged with distributing the thousands of toys for tots donated by those visiting the car shows.

John also had a huge facility within Savi Ranch where for many years he build his own race cars and had a gift shop usually operated by one or more of his daughters. He scheduled free visits and a tour. It was amazing to see all they created there. Even though he moved to a larger facility out-of-state just over two years ago, he kept his Savi Ranch facility.

I am fortunate and honored to have him as a neighbor. John Force Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Force

Robert

Last edited:

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Braces For Our p2285 . . .

Jimmy, my car is at the age now where I felt the need to have its canards straightened. No car of mine will ever have to go to the car prom with crooked canards. So, I went ahead, did the car right and took him to the carodontist. Yep, the car needed braces. It's expensive to raise cars, huh.

View attachment 64510
Robert where did you get that canard setup? I want them, looks great.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Braces For Our p2285 . . .

Robert where did you get that canard setup? I want them, looks great.

Nick, I have a set of canards that came off SPF2091 Mark 1 as shipped from SPF if interested. Different style than Olthoff’s that Rick posted (no gurney lip, fiberglass and squared off vs curved)

I prefer the curved styling over the squared style so had a local fabricator make an aluminum set.

Tim

Back