SPF MKII Mirrors

Hey Steve,
Slightly picky I know, but I don't beleive that those mirros will work, as they are slightly smaller than the area that SVA requires (140mmmx70mm if I remember correctly).

I think when I eventually finish my car :rolleyes: , I will probably go for some basic temporary E marked mirrors held in place in lieyu of the perspex screens. My overall goal is to use an electric mirror. I tried to find some M Roadster mirros housing but they were nigh on impossible to find (and BMW have a nasty habit of not supplying you unless you have a chassis number). However, I am thinking that the Chrysler Crossfire mirrors may work well. They look slightly better proportioned to the Mini mirrors to me and are now starting to become available in breakers.

Brett

Hi guys,

I took photos of all the GT40s running in the vintage race at Le Mans a couple of weeks ago, and paid particular attention to the mirrors with close-ups of each one. I've got limited internet access now, but will post the results in a few days.

Okay, here you go--photos of the four different-style mirrors that I noticed at Le Mans this year among the genuine GT40s. Most seemed to be running Talbot-style mirrors, but there were notable exceptions.

Note that all but one of these cars was a Mk 1, but as the center section is identical, it really shouldn't matter much in the decision process.

Monza.jpg

Vitaloni Monza

California.jpg

Vitaloni California

Talbot.jpg

Talbot-style mirror (brushed aluminum finish; most of the others had chrome)

UnknownMirror.jpg

Unknown mirror type, fitted to GT40 P/1012 (www.gt40-1012.com)

For what it's worth, I find each of these solutions to have merits and drawbacks; I am leaning towards the Monza though.

Of course, first I have to get a GT40 to stick them on! :)

Additionally, here's a close-up of the original interior mirror:

InsideMirror.jpg

It's made by Lucas. Is this a widely available part still, or is this hard to find? One might not think the inside mirror is particularly important, but if you've got to install one anyway, why not buy and install the original one? That is, if you can....

What do you think of these mirrors. I ordered a set. (Not my car in pic):dead:

Mike

Attachments

• Mirror2.jpg
    Mirror2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 599

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice Mike! Where did you find them? Any other pics?

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Kevin...Look at the front view and note the black plastic eyebrows on roof...It is a SPF ...Has MK1 wheels...I believe if you look close there is still the space some have complained about in rear wheel well but I have seen a number of pics of original MK11's with now available tires and all pics show that the rear wheel well space is like the SPF...So seems it is differance between no longer original tires and what now available...With Avons and 4" road clearance to frame I'm OK with mine. Steve P2125

Yes, its an SPF. I believe those are 17" wheels, but not sure.

Builder is Snakepower Performance in Glen Ellyn, IL, the same one who built mine.

Mike

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Mike...To your question re mirrors....For me I wanted the traditional look so went with the dual Talbots mounted as can be seen in my pics about 1/2 way between where the Brits typically mount them (on the fender crest) and to the fender rear and visibility is OK on the MK11...BUT for a more modern look and best visibility I think the pics you posted are best I have seen and look great. Steve P2125

Steve, you are absolutely right. I respect the heritage of the car, but the more time I spend in the car, the more I realize that I need proper rear vision. Right now I only have the windshield mirror, and frankly, it is a dangerous situation. My advice to those waiting for delivery of their SPF would be to have your mirror choices sorted out and installed before you even get behind the wheel.

Mike

For side mirrors, I haven't seen any style that I liked for exterior mounted ones. I also don't want to drill holes in the bodywork, so I looked for convex interior mirrors and found these. There were real cheap ($2.99 each I think) and extremely light weight. They mount with double sided tape and fit like they were made for this location.

The installed photos are from teh drivers point of view. One the left hand mirror, the reflection of the left most door knob on the blue Jeep is 90 degrees from the driver's eyes looking forward. You can also see the left side air scoop. So, this mirror covers the blind spot.

On the right hand mirror, the telephone pole and trashcan in the reflection are in the blind spot on that side the pole being at about 135 degrees form the driver's eyes looking forward.

When driving with these installed, they did not vibrate and provided clear images driving across some fairly bumpy rural roads at speed.

I am going to try these for a while and see how they work out.
I installed similar today and drove. Visibility great making a much less tense experience when a lane change is coming. Thanks for the idea.

Back