Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Looking good Trevor,I hope you don't run out of clekos.
Bill

lol, only really need a few on each panel but it's good to fit one per hole when drilling to keep the panel firmly in place. I'll start moving them around later in the week when I start drilling the other panels.

have you got any little cleko clamps? great for putting on your mates ear while he's distracted...

Build looks good!

have you got any little cleko clamps? great for putting on your mates ear while he's distracted...

Build looks good!

Yeah I got a few of the clamps although not really used them yet as they don't open far enough for holding panels to the chassis etc but I imagine they will be handy too once the build progresses. Thanks Rob

Not too much done tonight but still moving along. I finished trimming and marking the steering rack front panel and drilled all the top row holes. It's taking time but I am really happy with the front section panels so far and the panel gaps (or lack of between panels).

build-april19.jpg

build-april20.jpg

Trev

Trev

Why the triangular bits where the fuel filler caps go?

Ian

Hi Ian

They are the side dash panels (I think that's what they are called). They will be riveted to the sides of the chassis near where they are lay. You can see where they should be here:

build-april14.jpg

Trev

Back in the garage tonight after an extremely stressful day at work. All is well now though after a bit more marking and drilling I got another panel done. There seems to be something relaxing about working on the car.

build-april23.jpg

Well I haven't updated for a few days and although the build doesn't look that different I've had a fairly busy weekend.

I've managed to get all the sill panels completely drilled, finished drilling some panels on the front section of the car and I also took my rear bulkhead panel to a local fabricators where they are hopefully going to put some nice professional folds in it. I tried folding the bulkhead myself with some angle iron and clamps and the results on a test piece of aly where not good.

I've also cut and trimmed the front lower bulkhead and had a go at folding my first panel. Doesn't look like much but very happy with the results.

build-may1.jpg

build-may2.jpg

The Picture of the lower bulkhead (panel No5) isn't great as the light makes it look like there are loads of creases in the panel but there are 2 diagonal folds on the outside of the panel to make it sit flush on the chassis rail.

Trev

Trev,
If you are interested I have on my build log a solution to the bending of the panels. I didn't have access to a commercial brake, so I improvised with my work bench. The bench was an old butchers block table that a grocery store had that went out of business. At the auction I got the table(10'x3') for $5. Getting it home and cleaned up was the hard part. What I used was 4" angle iron(scrap from a warehouse). Popped a few holes in it with the plasma cutter(indispensible) and mounted it to the edge of the table. In my build thread on DRB#5 http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/13742-drb-5-a.html at post 18.19 and 20 I describe it and how to lay it out. You can make round corners or sharp corners. Compound curves/bends take a little planning to work out logistically. I used stainless and that is very hard to work with. Aluminum should be a lot easier. You can buff out any scratches that show up. If you are interested in the fine details, I will supply the info to you or anyone interested. It would make this post way too long.
I was interested in saving money where ever I could. My kids(teenagers at the time) destroyed my budget and time line. So I did a lot of fabricating and taught myself skills(TIG welding) I didn't know I had or could acquire. You will find out the more you do, the less you have to lay out to someone else and the more pride you will have in the project.

Bill

Thanks for the offer Bill. The problem I have with the rear bulkhead is just the size of the panel. I've got a proper sheet metal folder that fits in my vice for producing most of the folds which I used for the front lower bulkhead so hopefully I'll be able to most of the folding and bending myself after the rear bulkhead.

051210170.jpg

Trev

A bit more progress tonight. Got the rear bulkhead side panels in place and drilled. Due to pick the bulkhead from the fabricators in the morning so fingers crossed the first fold they've done for me is in the correct place.

build-may3.jpg

Just been to collect the rear bulkhead from the fabricators with the first fold in and they've done a great job. Very nice clean fold line. I'd better get the second fold marked and get it back to them

build-may4.jpg

build-may5.jpg

Started work on the front passenger wheel arch templates. I was really dreading these but so far it's not too bad. Fingers crossed the rest is the same.

build-may11.jpg

Finished the passenger side wheel arch templates tonight. The lower rear panel (6-1) was a tight pain with the extra folds in. Templates need a little tidying but almost ready for the aly versions this weekend.

build-may12.jpg

Back