Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Trevor, are we having fun yet? Keep up the good work.
Bill

Always having fun Bill :). It's nice seeing things start going on the car like the fuel tanks and the pedals rather than just doing the panelling. Really looking forward to getting it all powder coated as looking at your car I think it should look really good.

Trev

Sills back from the fabricators. They've cut the holes for my caps and made some aluminium covers.

build-november24.jpg

build-november25.jpg

build-november26.jpg

The bad news is they have made one of the holes 2mm too big so the cap doesn't snap into place like the others. Can anyone advise a solution, is it actually possible to fill/repair aluminium and is this something the fabricator could do if I complain about the fact they have made the hole too big?

Thanks

Trev

taking the panel back into the fabricators this afternoon, they've said they will see if they can fix the issue. Fingers crossed

Trev

if not, maybe mount a smaller piece of thin ally underneath the main sheet at the right size. the issue will be that the panel will then be raised by a few mm but might not be a problem if the panel is fixed well around the outside.

just a thought.

Trev,
As long as the hole is still smaller than the flange on the cap I wouldn't worry too much. Its not as if they will fall out!. A small amount of silicone or even blue tack would be sufficient to retain them if your concerned
I suspect your fabricator will end up remaking the sill piece, so why put him through the hassle
Regards
Andy

Hi Trevor,

Are those caps to my drawing? Look really good, just wanted to know as then i'll feel more confident with having a load made.

D.

Hi Trevor,

Are those caps to my drawing? Look really good, just wanted to know as then i'll feel more confident with having a load made.

D.

The front oblong caps are but the rear ones are slightly bigger for my sender holes but I did use you plans. The oblong ones look great and the size is perfect but my aluminium might be a little thin so I may order some from you once yours are made so please keep me posted.

Trev

Started work on the rear window tonight. I've initially marked out the centre lines of the rear bulkhead for reference point and added a bottom line that the window lines up with.

build-november27.jpg

build-november28.jpg

The plan at the moment is to use the Tornado window markings as a reference and then change the shape to a more original triangular edged design. Thankfully a few members on here are sending me some templates from their cars to help make sure the shape and size are correct.

Trevor

More progress tonight, drilled in my first sender access cover. Took me a little time to mark and measure but I am very happy with how it looks. These will be powder coated black with the sill panels when finished

build-december1.jpg

build-december2.jpg

Trev

Trev,
Looking good. It may not be a problem, but when you powdercoat, the rivnut threads will probably be coated too so need to take that into account when you put the screws back in. A tap&die should rebore the thread easy enough.
Ian

Trev,
Looking good. It may not be a problem, but when you powdercoat, the rivnut threads will probably be coated too so need to take that into account when you put the screws back in. A tap&die should rebore the thread easy enough.
Ian

Hi Ian

The rivnuts aren't in place, I just popped them in to test the alignment of the screws and for some pics. The panels will be powder coated first and the rivnuts added after.

Trev

Sill came back from the fabricators yesterday and they have done a good job on patching up the hole they made too big for the fuel tank access caps.

Both sills are now ready for powder coating and both have fuel sender caps on.

build-december3.jpg

Also my first GT40 picture arrived yesterday. Just need to get it framed and work out where to put it. Office or garage? The picture also gives a very big hint to the colour scheme I am going for :)

build-december4.jpg

Trev

Linden green? Good for you Trev!

Correct good sir. Originally I wanted guardsman blue with wimbledon white stripes but after attending a few meetings I noticed there are a few blue GT40s around and quite a lot of the gulf coloured cars. I think Linden green will give the car a real period look and make it stand out from the crowd a little too.

Trev

Will look like P1008... before Ford butchered it.....

Trev, I have some hi res photos at work of it from 8 years ago at the test track at work when we had it out for a day if you want.

Brett

PS Like your style :)

Back