Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

Congratulations !!
this is a so nice idea !!!

With all these numerous GT40 roadlegal in UK someone need to drive to Trevor and make his dream to be real !!!

Thanks for the kind words all. I am based near Rugby in Warwickshire and although it would be great to have a GT40 there I wouldn't want to put someone out just for me. I'll probably be too nervous about the wedding to enjoy having a GT40 there anyway :)

I do have my 1963 Anglia which I'll be driving and we've hired one of these vintage buses too so should be great fun

bus.jpg

Hi all

Well it's been a long time since I last posted on here as I just haven't had the time to spend on the GT40 and had been working on my 1963 Ford Anglia restoration.

The Anglia was finished and sold a few weeks ago and so I've now got the GT40 back out into the middle of the garage and getting some jobs done. I am currently in the process of final assembly of steering, radiator pipes, radiator and anti roll bars and so riveted in one of the front footwell panels today. First time I've used the rivet gun in ages and it nearly killed me (must buy some air tools) :).

build-december1.jpg

So the plan is to get the car ready for brakes before xmas and have all the current components I have fitted.

Trev:
Nice work as always..it will be good to see your chassis with the brakes fitted...just finished mine and its a big step.
Huck makes a hydraulic rivet gun that will pull 1/4" stainless and the effort is minimal, it also can be setup to set riv nuts with the proper mandrels...not cheap but a nice tool.
I think Lawson markets the same tool as their own brand.
Cheers
Phil

Beautiful job. Question though; do the aluminum panels come pre-cut and pre-bent?

If you look in the Vendor & Manufacturers section you will see that Tornado (in a 4th December post) are introducing a CNC cut and folded panel set in January, though no updates on the Tornado website as yet.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Paul

It should be on the website by now but I think our web guy is a bit slow with updates.

He has a list as long as my arm to get through.

The new panel set is cut to shape, folded, pre drilled for all rivets and available in aluminium or stainless steel.

Thanks

Andy

Hi all

Another weekend back on the car and the steering is fully in along with the radiator and pipes. Everything is now paneled and buttoned up where it needs to be and the car is now finally ready for brakes and wheels.

build-january1.jpg

build-january2.jpg

build-january3.jpg

In addition to working on the GT40 I've also been looking at buying another car, this time one I don't have build. In the last 2 weeks I've looked at both an Audi R8 and an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. The Audi is an amazing car but I just feel in love with the Aston. The only problem now is garage space as it's very tight with the GT40 in there. I can get the wife's Mini in but an Aston is another matter.

build-january4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi TrevS, Awesome build a real credit to you, now what you need is one of these, made to fit in a small vertical space.
Parking Lifts | Car Lifts | Residential Car Lifts | SUV Lifts | Florida | Miami | Maryland | Virginia

Thanks Grame, unfortunately as you can see my garage isn't very tall so I don't think a lift would work. I am currently looking at extending our house back to create a workshop space with room for another car and office space but will be some time off. So I have the dilemma of keeping the GT40 or selling it to make space and get myself a new toy.

Hi everyone. I've been absent for a while as I bought myself a new toy which I've been enjoying while the weather has been good but finally got some more work done on the GT40 at the weekend.

I've been looking at ways to reduce the radiant heat from the radiator pipes inside the car and originally looked at have the pipes zirotec coated but it was going to be too expensive. Instead I've fitted some Volcano wrap which I hope will do a similar job. Not a massive update but at least I am back working on the car

july1.jpg

july2.jpg

july3.jpg

Trev,
I used closed cell pipe insulation on mine. It was tight as you say. You might consider putting the expanded foam between the volcano wrap and the pipes on the side to try and keep the pipes from touching or at least filling the gap formed there. If worried about expansion, tie some cardboard along the sides. spray the foam and trim the stuff that sticks out, then rewrap the pipes? Just some thoughts. If that is too messy then put the closed cell under the wrap along the sides. Every bit helps.

Bill

Finally took another look at the radiator pipes and they are now individually wrapped. Took a bit longer than I'd have liked but should do the job and I think they look rather nice. Shame no one will ever see them but as with everything on your own build it's you that will know things like this have been done and eveything has been done properly.

Next up is brakes and wheels. Does anyone know any suppliers that can provide brake kits and correct mounting brackets for Tornado's here in the UK?

Trev, seeing those buses took me right back to when as a boy I'd jump on a bus and go on a mystery tour. Do they still do those? My Dad told me get on, pay your fare and see where it takes you. Usually to the sea-side...Clacton if I recall. Thanks for the memories.

Back