W8 and Corvette Transaxle?

I think you guys that got the ricardo's early got the deal of the century for what comes with it. 17k for a transaxle really ups the ante...

You can say that again! I got one back several years ago from RPM when they had dozens. Wish I had picked up several. Just waiting to drop the hammer on a SLC to put it in.... pay no attention to the screen name, :evilgrin:

Not quite anything.....we do have standards you know..

As I said just about anything, with in reason. That is.

V10 is not that much longer than a LS motor and it would be different at the same time.

Just saying.

My husband is having enough fun right now after he blew out the transmission in our GTR. I guess it was ready to be replaced.

Fran- WOW - underground racing beater! ;)

on the transaxle - I saw that the Venom GT by Hennesey is using the Ricardo as well and they are going to be building 10 cars per year (plan anyway) at 600k! and up!

For that kind of money, I'm assuming they've got a source on brand new Ricardo's then?

We will be packaging an SLC with a full R8 drivetrain in 2wd format very soon.

You know, you can really hate some people.... V8 or V10?

It's one of the options on my SL-C plans... Sourcing an R8/Gallardo V10 and transaxle isn't as hard or as expensive as people think.

I've always had a thing for that V10...

Fran please tell me it's the V8 and then I can be the first with the V10! *COUGH*withadiffupfrontforawd*cough* I'm sorry what? :D

;)

Back on topic, whilst the Ricardo can handle a metric butt tonne of power, it also weighs more than a house and cost about the same as one. Besides, who really actually needs that much power (put your hand down Alex)?

How much do the Porsche boxes weigh? What's the lightest transaxle that is reliable and can handle 400-500 'torques' (as Clarkson likes to put it), that is reliable and doesn't cost about the same as the national debt of a small country?

I want to see that 2000-2200lbs SL-C a reality.

Benji.

You are asking for two things in one here....if you want a trans to handle power then it must have a certain amount of mass and weight to the gears and also material thickness in the casting used for the case , obviously the Porsche transaxle used in a 997 Twin turbo is designed to be reliable with the power and weight of the car it was designed to be used in....also the Ricardo was designed to be reliable with the power/torque and weight of the OEM car it was to be used in....
The VW Beetle had a transaxle that was incredibly affordable and also designed to handle the 32hp that the original air cooled engine had to offer....
So you want to know what transaxle is reliable and cheap , to be used in an environment that it was not designed to be used in and at power levels it was not designed to withstand...

Have you seen the Indiana Jones movie...The Search for the Holy Grail.?

There are absolutely NO shortcuts in transaxles ...its the achilles heel of the mid-engined car and performance equals cost...end of...sorry to be the bearer of such bad news but its a fact of life I am afraid.

Keep in mind that the old stalwart G50 5 speed will withstand 500normally aspirated horsepower without masses of add ons...so long as the trans is not abused and driven like it was stolen...

Many guys get hung up on the thinking they will need a bazillion hp and want to travel at the speed of light...but in reality 500hp and 0-60 in the mid 3's and 190mph capability is enough to make most of us spontaneously pump blood into areas best reserved for the missus....

Last edited:
;)

Back on topic, whilst the Ricardo can handle a metric butt tonne of power, it also weighs more than a house and cost about the same as one. Besides, who really actually needs that much power (put your hand down Alex)?

How much do the Porsche boxes weigh? What's the lightest transaxle that is reliable and can handle 400-500 'torques' (as Clarkson likes to put it), that is reliable and doesn't cost about the same as the national debt of a small country?

I want to see that 2000-2200lbs SL-C a reality.

I lusted after and ultimately bought a Ricardo primarily for the gear ratios. I originally had a g50-20, then I bought a g97/50. Once Fran offered me the Ricardo, I didn't think twice. I was confident the 97/50 would handle the power but I like the gearing in the Ricardo much better for a domestic v8 street car. Different strokes.

Sure, but that's my point, how much do the Porsche transaxles weigh? They already can take the power levels (in a car weighing more!), so how much do they weigh?

Look at it another way, if 'up to' 500bhp was only ever your goal, what's the best transaxle you can get that has a good compromise on weight and reliability.

It's probably the Porsche but I'm just throwing it out there? What does the Griffin weigh? What does the Mendeola weigh? How about the R8/Gallardo transaxle?

We pretty much know they can all take the power so...

Benji,

give the manufacturers a quick call and ask...then you can come back and tell us all what you found...

I did already say that the G50 5 speed will do what you want...and as its the oldest it probably the cheapest...

The rest my friend is for you to find out an impart upon us...

I am pretty sure its all been posted on this and many other forums many times in the past....time for a little keyboard research my man.

Last edited:

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I talked to DeLynn at Griffin, Thursday morning. I asked him to pop in here and update things like what he told me. Hopefully he does that.

Regards Brian

Benji,

give the manufacturers a quick call and ask...then you can come back and tell us all what you found...

I did already say that the G50 5 speed will do what you want...and as its the oldest it probably the cheapest...

The rest my friend is for you to find out an impart upon us...

I am pretty sure its all been posted on this and many other forums many times in the past....time for a little keyboard research my man.

Hmm whilst I agree I should put more of my own effort in, I'm not a huge fan of internet hearsay... I *could* buy all the individual transaxles and weigh them properly with the appropriate evidence but then, I'd have a lot of transaxles and not enough money for an SL-C :p

I'd love to build a definitive list and I will do my best to provide some more concrete information (or at least what the manufactures tell me!).

Ironically Griffin isn't that far away from me as I recall...

I talked to DeLynn at Griffin, Thursday morning. I asked him to pop in here and update things like what he told me. Hopefully he does that.

Regards Brian
Any idea on release date? I know there have been a few projected dates that have come and gone but the Griffin still seems like a great option on paper.

Look at it another way, if 'up to' 500bhp was only ever your goal, what's the best transaxle you can get that has a good compromise on weight and reliability.

I vote 930. Mmmm, 930 transaxle.

6 gears are over-rated ... it's just just more useless stuff that can break :D

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Matt

That is why I wanted him to come on here for a update. He is thinking 30+ days before he gets the gears he needs. It appears the previous vender has not been able to supply them and he is still trying to get them elsewhere. I still hope he chimes in as I don't want to mislead anyone.

Regards Brian

When I was trying to decide what transaxle to go with, I looked at the field of possibilities. Like most performance choices, you can go as fast as your wallet.

I was skeptical about the strength of the Porsche G50, but I have been reassured by multiple knowledgeable people with V8 conversion experience that a stock G50 will reliably handle 450-500HP in a light car. The G50’s downfall is that the gear ratios are designed for a low torque Porsche boxer six, and it’s not well suited to an American V8. Some G50s have better ratios than others, so check their specs closely. In particular, the 1st and top gear ratios tend to very low (i.e. high reving).

A stock G50 is the lightest and least expensive option that I found. See this comparison chart.

rumbles-albums-rumbles-slc-build-photo-album-1-picture1094-trans-choices.jpg

I compiled the attached G50 Spec sheet to help me select my transaxle. Most of this info was pulled from Gbox.com. I hope this is helpful to others as well.

Attachments

• Porsche Transaxle Specifications3.xls
    48 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
6 gears are over-rated ... it's just just more useless stuff that can break :D

I assume this was somewhat toung-in-cheek, but.....

I could not disagree more. I know my SVT-Cobra is a totally different animal, but the gear ratio math is not that different. Most tranny ratio combos keep 4th gear at (or pretty close to 1:1), so most would agree that you really need 4 good gears for around-town, light to light driving.

So in a T-56, you have two OD gears. (a .80 and .62) The 6th gear (.62) Is really just a cruising gear and not a very good accelloration step up from 4th gear (1.0).

So.. If you are trying to accelorate aggresively past 65mph you really need the extra gear. IMHO

Back