What are you doing to your gt40 this winter?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I just returned from a very interesting tour of the Tesla Plant in Fremont. A friend purchased this special tour at a charity auction. The facory and car are very interesting, what an incredably complicated project! Things certinally seem to be going well, the parking lot was completely full and they are building cars as quick as they can.

The nice part for me, this special tour was given by one of their high end engineers, a Mr Hulbert Mees, who was at Ford on the "Ford GT" project and was heavely involved with the GT's suspention design. He took a quite an interest in P/2264 and spent quite some time looking her over.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
.... But that suspended concrete floor is cold.

I bought three of these

FlowPro Heavy-Duty Convection Heater — 13,650 BTU, 240 Volt, 4000 Watt, Model# 84605 | Electric Garage Industrial Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

to help address that problem, but (per the garage flooring thread from last year) also have Racedeck plastic tile on the concrete slab so I have at least a chance of being warm while I wrenching in a prone position. In your part of the country, however, you'd probably need more than three and it probably still wouldn't help with the concrete.... which does add a twist to the epoxy vs plastic tile garage floor debate I hadn't thought of.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
The real talent you have would be to charge big bucks for those much faster high rpm torque intensive pulls you do at triple digit speeds, and then comes the crescendo at the end of the ride as you do your four-wheel slide, this-a-way and that, and come to a stop somewhere mostly off the road. You could hand them some prayer beads after you make sure their 6-point harness is tight. Tell 'um not to scream 'cause it makes you nervous. And then it's off you go. Oh, and don't forget to collect the money before the ride starts. People don't mind pay'n for good wholesome religious experiences.

Yea, it's money in the bank.

I am laughing my arss off, the first part about the triple digit speeds and torque intensive pulls are correct but none of the four wheel slides! I like the idea of prayer beads, that I WILL do, I have pulled on the 5 part harness real hard which makes them a little nervous and then its 6 miles at gentle speeds till the "giver hell area" all the time getting there I drive like a grandma and they are thinking "Oh this is going to be easy", when I get home I have to help them out of the car...... When its all over I feel sorry for my car.... HA!

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 271

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I bought three of these

FlowPro Heavy-Duty Convection Heater — 13,650 BTU, 240 Volt, 4000 Watt, Model# 84605 | Electric Garage Industrial Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

to help address that problem, but (per the garage flooring thread from last year) also have Racedeck plastic tile on the concrete slab so I have at least a chance of being warm while I wrenching in a prone position. In your part of the country, however, you'd probably need more than three and it probably still wouldn't help with the concrete.... which does add a twist to the epoxy vs plastic tile garage floor debate I hadn't thought of.

When I got back from Brunei, I swore I would NEVER lay on a cold concrete floor again, so I got myself one of these. I absolutely love it.
Well, yeah... both the lift AND the car.
That was several years ago though... the garage is finished inside now and is a lot warmer.

:laugh:

Kirby

Attachments

• P1270099.jpg
    P1270099.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 262

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
So I suppose our answer to "what are you going to do this winter" could be "be all warm and toasty"

Well, yes!
:thumbsup:

But hey... it really doesn't get that cold around here... Got below freezing twice this winter, but winter is pretty much over here.

Friday should be dry according to Mr. Weather, so the GT40 will take me to work and back!

Have fun!

Kirby

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
moving thread to ALL GT40

Okay after a note from Grady, I see that it was his intent afterall for this thread to be Superformance only. I am moving it (for the final time) BACK to the Superformance forum.

Thanks for the note Grady..

Carry on gentlemen...

"You could hand them some prayer beads after you make sure their 6-point harness is tight. Tell 'um not to scream 'cause it makes you nervous."

I have to remember that instruction. Very good.
My reference to cold concrete was that my feet get cold after an 1 1/2 hour standing on the concrete. The garage is two levels and the main floor is suspended and never warms much. Using two lifts doesn't help either. Heavy socks helps some.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
"You could hand them some prayer beads after you make sure their 6-point harness is tight. Tell 'um not to scream 'cause it makes you nervous."

I have to remember that instruction. Very good.
My reference to cold concrete was that my feet get cold after an 1 1/2 hour standing on the concrete. The garage is two levels and the main floor is suspended and never warms much. Using two lifts doesn't help either. Heavy socks helps some.

I use those 3/4 thick rubber mats that tractor supply sells as much as possible, the concrete after a day in the garage is a killer on my back.

I am going to fix the passenger door cable and repaint the interior door panel trim. Otherwise I am going to "nut" all the suspension bolts and clean up the parts of the car. Finally I am going to cut some foam to fill the space so that no more rocks get thrown up into the gas filler area. Nothing too big.

One day I am going to move the license plate holder and have the rear clam painted to fill the holes and have original looking hold downs put on the left and right side rather than the center.

I am going to fix the passenger door cable and repaint the interior door panel trim. Otherwise I am going to "nut" all the suspension bolts and clean up the parts of the car. Finally I am going to cut some foam to fill the space so that no more rocks get thrown up into the gas filler area. Nothing too big.

One day I am going to move the license plate holder and have the rear clam painted to fill the holes and have original looking hold downs put on the left and right side rather than the center.
Kevin- for the gas filler rock problem I used round pipe foam insulation. It's about 1.5" O.D. and comes with an adhesive edge. Cut lengths to cover the front edge of the chassis, stick it to the chassis top, and 'roll' it over the edge. Perfectly fills the gap between body and chassis. Occasionally I have a piece come loose, but it's easy to replace.

Kevin- for the gas filler rock problem I used round pipe foam insulation. It's about 1.5" O.D. and comes with an adhesive edge. Cut lengths to cover the front edge of the chassis, stick it to the chassis top, and 'roll' it over the edge. Perfectly fills the gap between body and chassis. Occasionally I have a piece come loose, but it's easy to replace.

Great idea!

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
It's 57 degrees and sunny in Charlotte today, so I'm out driving. Winter is the best time to drive here. Hard for the A/C to keep up in the August heat and humidity!

I don't think any owners are driving in the Boston area today.....

It's 57 degrees and sunny in Charlotte today, so I'm out driving. Winter is the best time to drive here. Hard for the A/C to keep up in the August heat and humidity!

I don't think any owners are driving in the Boston area today.....

I see your in the Charlotte area. Are you going to come to the CLT car show in early April with your car at the Olthoff display?

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Grady:

I assume you mean Charlotte AutoFair? I'm guessing that Dennis is attending but he was not at the Fall event. He may have had a conflict. The Spring show is bigger. I'd take my car there if he wanted me to, but he's usually got 1-2 GT40s and a few Cobras with him.

If you ever drive your car in this direction let me know. It would be nice to meet you. Or maybe I could drive up to Asheville at some point. It's one of the most beautiful places in the US!

Back