What will I need?

Gents, I'm preparing to upgrade from an O16 to an O1E in my CAV. The box should arrive in the next week or so from our GT40 forum vending supporter Advanced Automotion (Scott Dewitt).

My question is this....What will I need to make this work on my 302/347 (stroker) motor? Will I need a new adapter plate, flywheel, starter? I believe I will need new CV's and axles made. Can anyone confirm this?

I will be the first to admit the O16 has been a good box for the type of driving I'm doing its just my engine puts out @450 HP and 440 ft. lb. and the O16 is good to about 350-400 Hp.

Thanks.

Way to go Jimmy, that should be a good move.

I'm pretty sure the O1E has a slightly different bell housing, so I would guess you'll need a different adapter plate. Scott should be able to advise on that one.

As far as the rest, I don't really know. I'd be very curious to hear what you find out - please post a pic or two and share your findings.

Cheers!

Thanks Cliff will do.
Hi Jim , very curious about that trans swap, I have CAV 44 with 016 box on a mild 302 on webers, mild or stock cam, SVO heads, probably just under 300 hp, i am getting ready to build for 400-425 hp if time permits this winter, what model car is the later box out of? all the best for now, Neville in New York.

The 01E was not available in any of the cars here in the U.S. They have to be imported. Check with Scott at Advanced Automotion for availability.

I'll speak from experience but this may or may not work for your particular sitation.

The 016 and early 01E cases share the same dowel pin locations and most of the bolt locations (with the exception of 1-2 8mm bolts.). The later 01E boxes differ at one dowel pin location and a few more bolts. Your trans uses an early model case.

The clutch disc will need to be change to accommodate the 01E splines.

The mounts will have to be changed or modified.

The shifter will have to be modified at the attachment point as well as the angle at which the shifter comes out of the 01E.

One axle will have to be shortened the other lengthened, as the 01E diff is offset from the 016 by approx 1.5 inches.

The pilot bearing has to be moved away from the location on the flywheel towards the transmission by 1/2 inch.

I'll speak from experience but this may or may not work for your particular sitation.

One axle will have to be shortened the other lengthened, as the 01E diff is offset from the 016 by approx 1.5 inches.

Scott,

The 01E output flanges are offset (about centerline) by 3/4", which in turn will make one axle 1.5" longer than the other. Just clarifying.

Andy

I would love to see this 016 to 01E conversion documented on here. I am going to do this conversion to my 40 later this year.....Pics measurements and so on would be awesome....Yes Jim put one aside for me.....

Maybe we could group buy the conversion parts like the clutch plate, spigot bearing and so on to give some of the Vendors on here a hand and make it worth while for them to help.....

Last edited:
You will also need a new slave cylinder maybe.

also, the output flanges will be different sizes to your 016. They'll be the same size as an 01X.

Jimmy, do a search and I have put some PDF docs of my rough drawings (sorry on different computer to the one where they are).

Brett

The output flanges are not the same on both the 01E and the 01X. I had one of each here at the shop a few weeks ago and they are definitely different. They are both different than the 016. If I can figure out how to post photos I will do so.

Edit: I tried to post photos but keep getting "attachment failed" message. I am not sure why, maybe the file size is too big? PM me with email address if you want to see them.

Last edited:
Gents, I expect the transaxle to arrive from Scott in the next week or so. I'm unsure of when the box will get installed as I'm currently in the best time of the year for shows and driving. It may be some months but I will post news and info at that time. Scott is installing an upgraded slave cylinder for me also. Eric A. contacted me regarding possible assistance with the adpater plate so I'll be speaking to him more once I have more info on my transaxle.

I'm not a great fan of buying something prior to knowing all the facts because of unforeseen costs which can really hurt. But in this case I took the plunge after delaying for over a year trying to find out more about the transplant but sadly I could never get the final tally on everything I'd need. I hope this isn't going to be too costly and painful a swap.

Back