Which watch do you wear?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
NOTHING matches the sound of a Hammond B3 and a Leslie or two. While I can't play (well, two songs, "Mr. Frog" and "Innagaddavida") I spent some of my youth managing a band and have first hand experience with how heavy that stuff is. No more fun to be had than "move out" at the end of a gig and hoisting a B3 into a van with no ramp. All for 10% of what was not big money. But hey, we were all young and stupid.

Hanging around people with talent did me no good. I still can't play any instrument, can't sing and I lose the beat 8 or 10 bars in!

I would love to see Winwood on the Hammond. The old Spencer Davis Group stuff, Traffic, etc. all have a sound that is distinctive and after few bars of "Gimmee Some Lovin" I MUST turn the volume up and attempt to keep time on the steering wheel.......

Keith,
Sounds like you need some wookey hole to fortify you. I'll try and sort it before this weekend.
Graham,
Staggeringly beautiful photo Don't musical instruments had an aura of their own and even a smell all of their own. They are almost alive. (Open a case with a violin in it - nothing else smells quite like that. Wood Resin, glue, strings, horse hair, varnish)

David,

You're absolutely right. They are works of art in their own right. All my guitars hang on the wall of my music room, and my eye is often drawn to them. These are things that we never truly own, but are custodians of until such time as they are passed on to the next person, and that's a good thing.

Keith

Bit cramped in the dining room... :)

Korg64chDigitalHardDriveRythmTrackandDellwithAbeltonLive.jpg

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Rick
I feel quite lucky. On summer days, Jim Capaldi used to sit in our back garden and we'd quaff a few beers or so and I'd just listen to his exploits along the way. He died in Jan 2005. A great drummer in his day. His wife Aninha is often still in Marlow and we stop and chat. Typical Brasilian beauty,

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick
I feel quite lucky. On summer days, Jim Capaldi used to sit in our back garden and we'd quaff a few beers or so and I'd just listen to his exploits along the way. He died in Jan 2005. A great drummer in his day. His wife Aninha is often still in Marlow and we stop and chat. Typical Brasilian beauty,

My closest brushes with "rock royalty" is that John Entwhistle (Ox) was a customer of my restoration parts business for his 1964 Thunderbird convert and 59 Caddy convert. Still remember the address, Fleurs Cottage c/o Whistle Rhymes. Oh, and I sold Billy Joel's manager (and then Brother-in-Law) an AC MK IV.

Rick,

When he was married to Jerri Hall, Mick was occasionally seen in the little town of Lone Oak, Texas (population 421)! Jerri's family lives there still. My octagenarian neighbor rancher used to call him "the movie star with the big lips" :drunk:.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Guitars: a 66 Telecaster, my main axe. A 68 Les Paul Custom, the black one with the P90 and Alnico V pickups. A 68 or earlier (can't remember) Gibson SG custom, but it has PRS pickups in it. And a PRS archtop, made for me by Paul for a huge favor I did him years back- wonderful jazz box, very sweet and clear, and perfectly in tune- best fret spacing I have ever seen. I had a 68 Byrdland, but I didn't play it for ages, and sold it along. I don't use effects. I DO use the best guitar cables I can get, and I believe they make a difference. I am thinking about a Clark low-power Twin repro, if/when I can afford it. I think Fender tweed amps are the best that ever came along, nothing to beat them.

Amps: a 65 Vibrolux Reverb, blackface, with a few hot rod bits inside. A 58 tweed Fender 1-15" Bandmaster, which used to belong to Danny Gatton- a real beast, especially after I took the JBL out of it and installed a Weber 15 that is a lot like the Jensen that must have been in there originally. Some little modern tube practice amps.

Keys: two B3s, one in a road case, and one wooden lovely original which has never played out. Three Leslies: two 147s, one 145. They sound completely different- the road case one has a terrific growl, the wood case one is sweeter and glassier, a much better jazz organ. Nothing sounds like a real B3 played through a tube Leslie. I am looking for a Rhodes, but it will probably end up with my godson who really plays keys and is good at it. His band plays out way more than mine does.

Some PA equipment, nothing unusual.

I don't play out much right now. I aim to remedy that as soon as I can. I sorely miss it; I have plenty of interests but my favorite thing on the planet, bar none, is playing music with my friends, for my friends. I am the worst musician in the band. I am a very lucky guy.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
81HOQM42bIL._AA1500_.jpg

This is what I'm wearing now. I love it! You can see everything move, it's the ultimate gear-head watch.

Back