Which watch do you wear?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
From the Daily Mail today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/

Monday, Jun 20 2011 6PM 14°C 9PM 14°C 5-Day Forecast

Ecclestone will 'do his best' to keep Formula One on the BBC as sport faces axe

Bernie Ecclestone says he wants Formula One to remain on free-to-air TV amid reports the BBC are ready to axe the sport from their listings. The corporation's executives are believed to be seeking a way out of their £40million-a-year contract which expires at the end of 2013. ...read

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mesa,

Some other notable Menlo College Grads, The Kingston Trio started when they were attending Menlo and another great Alumnus: Patty Hearst!

I love Menlo College's tage line.............PORSCHES, PRINCES AND PHDs'

Last edited:
I have got a Seiko pilots' watch that my mother gave me in the 1980s. I have worn it all the time through several aircraft and car builds and various other activities. Last year it stopped despite the battery being only a year old, when they normally last 5 or 6 years. I sent it back to Seiko UK to be fixed and asked that the bezel, where the numbers had been almost completely worn off, and the very scratched glass should be replaced also. The watch came back as good as new and the only charge was for the new bezel and glass.

When the battery needs to be replaced, the watch has to be sent back to Seiko in order to preserve the waterproofing. They actually test it after the battery has been replaced to the considerable pressure it is rated to and send back the supporting documentation on the pressure tests. Perhaps it should be called a divers' watch!

Although the watch has the E6B facities for time and distance and fuel burn calculations, I never use them (ref Ron's comment) - only use it for telling the time and occasionally the stopwatch function.

Chris

I have a Rolex day date in rose gold for best.
My day to day is a Breitling for bentley
My work on the cars watch is an old Tag ( welding splatters and all )
And finally a tag Carrera
The Breitling is my favourite but I dont tell the other watches that I have a favourite

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry chaps - I'm sure you understood where my last two or three posts in this thread should have appeared. Never mind. Keeps you alert really. All our countries need lerts.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thread drifts are wonderful Jim. Thats what makes this paddock thing so versatile and really varied. The more the merrier. Its like a load of GOBs in the bar on Friday night. You never know what subject comes up next. (GOBs? - Good Old Boys). I was on the rebellion bitter last night with a seemingly life long friend (we joined the R.A.F. together) and he has a collection of the said guitars and amps and speakers that has taken over his sitting room (parlor?). I'll ask him what he has collected - I recall he came to LAX on a trip with me and collected one he'd bought previously which was a 60's Fender ( he said there was a remarkable difference between then and now). He comes over at New Year and sets up some of his stuff and we have a piano and another chap (an American Astro Physicist) brings his stuff and we end up getting really loud and really 60's. My bagpiping skills (or lack of them) do not seem to fit in though.

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
My guitars are two Gibsons - a Les Paul Standard and a Custom, plus a pretty rare Paul Reed Smith 24 fret and as I'm a left hooker, I also made my own for years but there's no time now.
I use a little 22W Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket reverb amp with custom valves.

Last edited:

Keith

No guitars - murder on the fingers but 2 keyboards and various sound stuff: Korg Triton and Korg Vocoder, Korg D888 64 channel digital recording studio with hard drive, Soundcraft 1K stereo mixer/amp, Hughes & Kettner 'Blue' 80 watt combo guitar amp, JBL 2x15 600w full range PA, 1x18" 1K Mackie active sub-bass.

MIDI Interfaces

RT Drum Machine

Noise Gates, processing etc

Sennheiser mics and headphones.

Dell Studio laptop

Abelton Live! Propellorhead Reason

Disgruntled neighbours. :stunned:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Easy to move around then Keith? Sounds as though a Pickfords truck is required...
Aquestion for you - at the Stevie Winwood gig in the RAH two weeks ago his hammond organ had a loudspeaker with a 'thing' spinning around on top but within the casing of the box and at varying speeds. What is it?

Just been on the google - was it a Leslie Speaker?

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Indeed James - thats what it was. Very distinctive sound in Stevie Winwoods hands.
When are you in London Next? I may be at Pearl Liang next weekend.
30% PROBABILITY

Keith

Yes Leslie cabinet. Hammond L and Leslie - standard of the industry.

No moving around, but from time to time local bands come around and 'borrow' stuff.

I used to play a lot and then used it all for Production and now - don't use it at all. Can't concentrate for more than 5 mins now and anyway, get out of breath just playing the keyboards. Nice to look at though.. I'll send you a photo.. :)

Graham.....which guitars? sorry for the thread drift, but this is important. And which amps, if electric? Just curious.....

Jim, I have two Fano guitars (www.fanoguitars.com).

One is too beautiful to play, with the fingerboard engraved with the Uffington White horse (see the piccy below). This is a one off custom that he made for me. Truly beautiful. The other is a relic'ed Telecaster copy:-http://www.fanoguitars.com/photos/tc6sonicblue.jpg

This is my gigging guitar. I also have a red Strat Deluxe, a Black strat. I just sold me Les Paul and my Rickenbacker because frankly they never get played :(

My amp of choice is a Mesa Boogie Mk4, but this was too heavy for gigging, and frankly I couldn't get the volume past 1 on the dial, so it had to go, in favor of a Mesa Boogie F30. it's only 30 Watts, but it's loud enough for the Albert Hall. Those guys make simply EPIC amps and I love the groove from the Valves. It's filthy if it wants to be, but also has a lovely rich blues tone...

So, I've shown you mine - now you show me yours ;)

Attachments

• DSC01114.jpg
    DSC01114.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC01126.jpg
    DSC01126.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC01125.jpg
    DSC01125.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 162

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,
Sounds like you need some wookey hole to fortify you. I'll try and sort it before this weekend.
Graham,
Staggeringly beautiful photo Don't musical instruments had an aura of their own and even a smell all of their own. They are almost alive. (Open a case with a violin in it - nothing else smells quite like that. Wood Resin, glue, strings, horse hair, varnish)

Last edited:

Keith

Jim, I have two Fano guitars (www.fanoguitars.com).

One is too beautiful to play, with the fingerboard engraved with the Uffington White horse (see the piccy below). This is a one off custom that he made for me. Truly beautiful. The other is a relic'ed Telecaster copy:-http://www.fanoguitars.com/photos/tc6sonicblue.jpg

This is my gigging guitar. I also have a red Strat Deluxe, a Black strat. I just sold me Les Paul and my Rickenbacker because frankly they never get played :(

My amp of choice is a Mesa Boogie Mk4, but this was too heavy for gigging, and frankly I couldn't get the volume past 1 on the dial, so it had to go, in favor of a Mesa Boogie F30. it's only 30 Watts, but it's loud enough for the Albert Hall. Those guys make simply EPIC amps and I love the groove from the Valves. It's filthy if it wants to be, but also has a lovely rich blues tone...

So, I've shown you mine - now you show me yours ;)

1? Mine goes up to 11!

Back