Which watch do you wear?

I am a huge Ulysee Nardin fan! Had the Dig date GMT and another I forget the name of but it had a rubberized band. Out side of that I wear a Pilo % Co. (cheap a few hundred to a little over $1,000) daily and they have yet to fail me.

Rolex gold and stainless Datejust, I bought it 27 years ago when when my commission checks as a Mortgage Loan Officer first exceeded my earnings as a Dealership Mechanic.
The Rolex is a machine, it is not battery or solar powered and I love machinery.
I would like to add a GMT or a SS Submariner but so far other machines have taken precedence.
Dave

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
For my 40th birthday...my wife and kids bought me one of these....
Tag Heuer Monaco Gulf Limited edition
I only wear it at car type events...too nice to beat up...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>

</FIELDSET>
Posted by Fran

Fran, now that is a beauty!

I want one!

Had the same Bulova Marine Star for 20 years before it passed to the great watch beyond. I have a new Bulova 98D117 Wintermoor watch.

I am with you jim, the TAG Monaco is great! Is that the same as Steve McQueen wore in "Lemans"? I just can't get myself to spend the money.
I have a Patek Philippe that I wear when formal, a couple of Seikos that are bullet-proof, and and old Bulova winder that belonged to my father-in-law that he wore in WWII that is my favorite.

Garry

Garry, as I mentioned before, getting a watch from your father is so special that you probably will hold on to it for the rest of your life. Or pass it on to one of your own kids. Who will probably do the same!

Ain't that great!!!!

Here is another watch I got from my father some time ago. It is a Longines. I think it is about 45 years old (or so) and still running.

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
For me I wear a Breitling old navitimer since 15 years...

02.041_1.jpg

A Bell&Ross BR02 will arrive within few days...

thumb%284%291234744152454.jpg

And I'm looking for a Breguet ... (very nice but expensive too)

Last edited:
This threat needs pics!!

As otherwise nobody, or nearly nobody, knows the watch, since there are often differences within a particular modell series.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
OK, you want pictures?

First $50,000 gets this watch. Very rare as it is owned by me and every other Timex is not!

Attachments

• timex.jpg
    timex.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 193

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Some say a man should pay two month's wages on an engagement ring.
So it's probably best to spend a similar sum on his watch before he gets married.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Garry, it was the Heuer Monaco. Manser Ojjeh and his brother Aziz, are the owners of TAG group group, a Luxembourg-based company (called Techniques Avant Garde SA) and has global assets of around $700m. They bought Heuer for a reported one £ pound STG when the watch company faced liquidation. The Monaco watch predates the Ojjeh's brothers take over though they have put it back in production with the TAG Heuer brand on it though it probably has a lot less value now it is a TAG brand. Most of their movements are Valjoux 7750. Other brands that use the base movements manufactured by Valjoux include are names you all know and probably even cherish such as Longines, Breitling, Omega,Oris, Cyma IWC, Porsche Design. The list is endless.
One of the watches you talk of is currently catalogued as the Monaco Black Racing /White subdials and probably retails in the USA about $1,800 to $2,200 so not all that expensive really though the one in the film was the blue version called the Monaco and costs about twice as much. Same watch - different colour.

Last edited:
David,
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, the Blue one is the version that I covet, but I must confess that the black/white version is great. Always great to hear from the chaps across the pond!
Garry

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
David,

My wife Frances went to college with Manser Ojjeh, at Menlo College, a small, high $ private school in Atherton, CA. At the time, a lot of the Saudi Princes went there.

I'm fairly sure that Mr Ojjeh also ownes a good portion of McLaren as well.

She said that he was a good guy.

Another person you might know who went to Menlo College: Dan Gurney!

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Indeed - between him and Big Ron I think they were the majority shareholders when I was there between 97 and 99. Manser Ojjeh was always very polite and reserved.
Dan Gurney - I know of him but thats all.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
:gossip: Some silly gossip. Allegedly Maranello want Button to replace Massa and he has told Whitmarsh he doesn't want a long term contract with McLaren. :dead:
It's started a bit early this year.
:lol:

What has?

The stupidity of who wants to go where.
:afro: And Hamilton has had a seat fitting with another team. Allegedly but I find that hard to believe

David,

My wife Frances went to college with Manser Ojjeh, at Menlo College, a small, high $ private school in Atherton, CA. At the time, a lot of the Saudi Princes went there.

I'm fairly sure that Mr Ojjeh also ownes a good portion of McLaren as well.

She said that he was a good guy.

Another person you might know who went to Menlo College: Dan Gurney!

Very interesting trivia! Two of my best buds are Menlo grads, both of them had full athletic rides via football skills. I always thought is odd that such an exclusive small college even had an athletic department :) But DAN GURNEY...that speck of a school just moved up the list in my book.

Uhhh, to keep it on topic...I agree with the 'machine' that is a watch, but I don't wear one. Seems to me like it's too vulnerable hanging on the end of MY arm.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The Mayor or Rome does not want a Gp at the expense of the Monza race - the spiritual home of motor racing in Italy. Well, for a long time we always had two in Italy so I guess the residents of Imola will keep cheering the Mayor of Rome along and hope he gets a date form little Bernie - which means its less and less likely to ever return to Imola. One of the local companies in Imola was asked if they would contribute towards F1 returning and they said no but they would put the equivalent amount into a local project such as the hospital or a new bridge on the condition that F1 never returned to Imola.

Back