Which watch do you wear?

Was bought a Tag for my 21`st, which I used and abused for 19 years, used to wear it every day on the farm, welding, grinding, rebuilding engines, you name it!! For my 40th I decided to buy another, a Carrera, lovely watch, I hope it should see me out.

I used to wear an inexpensive analog (hands) watch with a little digital display for alarm and stopwatch features, but after the second (or third) time it flew off my wrist while shoveling snow, I gave up on wrist watches. Now I use my cell phone to tell the time.

Ron Earp

Admin
but after the second (or third) time it flew off my wrist while shoveling snow, I gave up on wrist watches. Now I use my cell phone to tell the time.

Interestingly enough, I remember a magazine article I read sometime last year that discussed the watch companies' business dropping off due to wrist watches being replaced by cell phones. Not too many folks under thirty wear watches. I know I'm certainly in the minority wearing one with my group of friends in the 40-45 year old bracket.

The article was also discussing a Germany watchmaker, http://www.glashuette-original.com/, which apparently makes some fairly pricey pieces.

The watches I've thought were a bit pretentious were the avaiator watches with the E6B built into the face. Not too many people who own the watches can a) actually read the face of it in a cockpit because it is so small, or b) don't know how to use an E6B because they aren't pilots.

Everyday Swiss Army Victorinox
victorinox-nordstrom-swiss-army-maverick-gs-rubber-strap-chronograph-watch.jpg

For special occasions my great grandfather's Ohio pocket watch
Truth be told I tend to consult my iPhone most of the time

Consulting the Iphone is too much work. Take it out of my pocket, press a button, put it back and needs a spare hand to do so.
On the wrist, it is just a glance and you know. No hands needed.
So, even as an Iphone fan, it doesn't do it for me!

I didn't wear one for so many years because of destroying everything that I wore. About 6 years ago I did some work for a friend of mine who owns a jewelry store and he gave me a Tissot titanium with saphire crystal. It's light, looks ok and boy....tough.

I wear my Rolex everyday, I work on cars with it, I do DIY with it, I do everything with it. My last was a Bi-metal Submariner that I owned for 7 years was bought for £2,750, and sold for £3,000 even with it's dings and scratches.

These watches are an investment that can be used every day, much like my guitars. they are played often, gigged often, but retain the majority of their value, or in some cases increase. A good friend of mine bought a Bi-metal Rolex Daytona for £4800 brand new some years ago, and it's now worth over £6,000....

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I wear my Rolex everyday, I work on cars with it, I do DIY with it, I do everything with it. My last was a Bi-metal Submariner that I owned for 7 years was bought for £2,750, and sold for £3,000 even with it's dings and scratches.

These watches are an investment that can be used every day, much like my guitars. they are played often, gigged often, but retain the majority of their value, or in some cases increase. A good friend of mine bought a Bi-metal Rolex Daytona for £4800 brand new some years ago, and it's now worth over £6,000....

Excuse my ignorance, but why? Is it because Rolex stop making that model and it becomes a collectors item?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
The black Daytona is on a six years waiting list.
The Rolex Milgauss was discontinued in the late sixties and recently re-issued.
Originals can fetch 50K +

I've got à casio g-schock for work and work on THE car ( mostely i take it of while working one cars because its to big)
And à pulsar titanium chronograph alarm 100m watch for normal use
For during wintersport i've got à swatch which i used to use for THE gates

Excuse my ignorance, but why? Is it because Rolex stop making that model and it becomes a collectors item?

Pete, No it's more to do with the fact that the price for them has steadily risen over the years. A new Bi-metal Submariner is now just shy of £5,000, so a decent second hand one's price is dragged up along with it.

I am a watch-aholic with around 25 in my collection, I have practical everyday ones for work (Accurist day date) and dress watches for going out (Rolex, Rotary and Fossil) plus a few others for casual (Sekonda, Casio etc) I even have a 70s LED watch. Every time I say that's it no more, I see another that I just can't resist. I always have a watch on (except when in bed, I really don't want to time anything then!)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I don't wear jewelry being a electronics guy, never could stand the feel of a watch or a ring on my hands and when I was in the service you were not allowed to have them while working so it stuck. BUT my wife did try to convert me years back with a very nice Movado which is very thin and very good looking but the battery died years ago so I am still naked to the world of jewelry.

none at all, since i was 16 and decided i let not put pressure on me by such a tiny thing.

as one very famous said: time is relativ
TOM

Back